Jump to content
lavar703

2020 Draft thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, but most likely not. It’s very rare that every first round pick turns out to be a pro bowler. Actually, it doesn’t happen, even more so when you get lower and lower in the first.

Our best chance at getting a pro bowl player is taking Chase Young at #2.

#FACTS state other wise. The key is having the right person picking the players. I'm confident in the players I named to become All Pro type players. 3 years from now lets see what CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Xaiver McKinney, and Kenneth Murray are looking like. I'd take that group over just a Chase Young. 

Edited by Skins212689

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Nah, it wasn’t a smart trade down in 2016. Our front office should’ve been smart enough to take Will Fuller or Michael Thomas over Doctson who was athletic but didn’t run pro routes in college.

It’s also not a companion on the prospect we’d be passing up on this year - Chase Young - versus the prospects in the 20s of the NFL draft. I don’t have a big problem trading down the later it gets in the draft bc the prospects are all about the same, but in this case we are talking about trading out of the #2 spot and missing out on the best prospect in the draft.

That’s an entirely different conversation.

as far as getting an extra pick moving down it wasnt a bad trade. in all likely hood we werent gonna take fuller, leading up to that draft scott loved michael thomas so idk what happened there,  but i dont think you really get what im saying. if the lions trade stafford they will look to draft Tua if they are sold on him, like i said this is only ifs.

If the lions feel that the dolphins have the picks to move up to number two then they could call us and say " hey we know miami is offering a big trade. we want tua, so lets swap picks and we will give you guys a 2nd rounder, you can still take young" I do that in a heartbeat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Dude get over yourself and try to think about what I'm saying before responding. The Cardinals missed the playoffs because they have multiple wholes on their team like Us. Before the 49ers added Bosa they also had like 2-3 other 1st round picks. Also they added Dee Ford from the Chiefs and Still didn't win the SuperBowl. So I'll pass on just getting Young if Offered 3 1st round picks. Having confidence in myself that I will draft 3 All Pros oppose to just 1. 

Oh trust me, I think. And I think this idea that we are going to trade down - passing on the best player in the 2020 draft - and arguably the best pass rush prospect in a draft class since Von Miller is straight nonsense.

Last time I checked we’ve had good first round picks every draft since 2015 except for 2016 when Doctson was a bust.

Our season next year and the next few to come hinges on the development of Haskins. 
 

What trade down in NFL history netted a franchise 3 All-Pro’s?

This is NOT something that happens.

The idea in the draft is to get the best players you can. We can draft the best prospect in the draft and we shouldn’t mess that chance up. Having more bites at the Apple rarely works bc those bites aren’t as good of prospects as the player you just passed on.

You get the best player you can in the draft, you fill your needs through free agency. That’s the way a smart GM runs his franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

as far as getting an extra pick moving down it wasnt a bad trade. in all likely hood we werent gonna take fuller, leading up to that draft scott loved michael thomas so idk what happened there,  but i dont think you really get what im saying. if the lions trade stafford they will look to draft Tua if they are sold on him, like i said this is only ifs.

If the lions feel that the dolphins have the picks to move up to number two then they could call us and say " hey we know miami is offering a big trade. we want tua, so lets swap picks and we will give you guys a 2nd rounder, you can still take young" I do that in a heartbeat

I don't really think he is actaully comprehending this Reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I don't really think he is actaully comprehending this Reality. 

I am, I just don’t agree. I don’t trust anyone if I’m the GM in a trade down - not even just one spot. I think the Lions would take Chase Young and I damn sure don’t want any other prospect in the 2020 draft as much as I want Chase Young. There’s not even a close second.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Oh trust me, I think. And I think this idea that we are going to trade down - passing on the best player in the 2020 draft - and arguably the best pass rush prospect in a draft class since Von Miller is straight nonsense.

Last time I checked we’ve had good first round picks every draft since 2015 except for 2016 when Doctson was a bust.

Our season next year and the next few to come hinges on the development of Haskins. 
 

What trade down in NFL history netted a franchise 3 All-Pro’s?

This is NOT something that happens.

The idea in the draft is to get the best players you can. We can draft the best prospect in the draft and we shouldn’t mess that chance up. Having more bites at the Apple rarely works bc those bites aren’t as good of prospects as the player you just passed on.

You get the best player you can in the draft, you fill your needs through free agency. That’s the way a smart GM runs his franchise.

Ok say you think it's Nonsense and don't agree with the decision oppose to making it seem Impossible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

#FACTS state other wise. The key is having the right person picking the players. I'm confident in the players I named to become All Pro type players. 3 years from now lets see what CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Xaiver McKinney, and Kenneth Murray are looking like. I'd take that group over just a Chase Young. 

What facts? This is all opinon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You are basically playing fantasy with draft picks, we have no clue what any player will be available a year or two from now for us to take. Most likely you trade down and you still only get 1 or 2 players who turn out to be good starters.

We’ve seen it before where teams trade back, pass on the best player available and then most of the players they pick are good but not great and some of them end up awful.

What you’re presenting is a best case scenario, and one that is very very unlikely to play out.

Give me the biggest game changer in the draft w/ Chase Young. I can sign a FA WR to complement our version of Michael Thomas w/ speed - Terry McLaurin and I’ll draft a LT prospect when Trent retires.

Next year we are very likely to have a top 10 pick again, we can fill a hole there and we can and will fill needs in free agency next month and in April before the draft.

Question, is 16.5 sacks better then 11.5 or 9.5?

Asking for a friend...

If Matos & AJ Epenesa were so good, they’d be talked about as top 5 picks. Matos and Epenesa are being talked about being taken in the teens.

Even if we do trade down - which I don’t think we will & we shouldn’t - we’d almost 100% not be targeting a DE with that pick. We’ll be targeting Okudah, Andrew Thomas, Simmons, Jeudy, Wills, Wirfs, Austin Jackson, Mekhi Beaton or Xavier McKinney.

We’re only talking DE high in this draft bc we have the #2 pick and Chase Young is the best prospect in the draft.

I was just using a sample that if we wanted to go DE. We can get a Kerrigan level talent plus additional picks over banking on 1 guy.

We were the 2nd worst team in the league. We wernt just bad. We were the 2nd worst. And allowed an avg of 42ppg to our division rivals to end the season. Went 16 quarters without a TD. We need talent. Not just 1 guy that can be a star and sell jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What facts? This is all opinon

Facts when you look in the Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl selection that players came from all over in the draft and some not even drafted. It's not where you are picked, it's about what you and the staff around you do once drafted or signed. 

Facts a San Fran Dline loaded with 1 round stars and Bosa lost in the SuperBowl because points matter more than pressure. 

Edited by Skins212689

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@turtle28 if the lion offer us #3 and their 2nd round pick for #2 under the conditions that they do not take Chase Young. How do you not do that!? 

Its a free 2nd round choice! instead of moving down to 5 we still get our guy and a 2nd rounder! not to mention a possible 3rd for Kerrigan. Im just blown away you wouldnt do that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I was just using a sample that if we wanted to go DE. We can get a Kerrigan level talent plus additional picks over banking on 1 guy.

We were the 2nd worst team in the league. We wernt just bad. We were the 2nd worst. And allowed an avg of 42ppg to our division rivals to end the season. Went 16 quarters without a TD. We need talent. Not just 1 guy that can be a star and sell jerseys.

Yes we need talent. Remind me again, who’s the most talented player in the 2020 draft?

Last years offensive talent is irrelevant to what this years offensive talent will be. We will most likely have Trent back, Haskins will be a year more developed, we will  have an upgrade at starting TE and at worst more developed 2nd year WRs but most likely an upgrade at our #2 WR spot via free agency too.

If we want more immediate talent to upgrade our team it’s going to come through free agency and not the draft. We will likely have $65 to $75 million in cap space to spend in free agency next month once we cut Norman, PRich and Reed.

With that money we will be able to re-sign Scherff and Flowers, fill a starting need a TE, competition for the #2 spot at WR, sign a few corners, a few LBs and a starting FS.

You do those things, add a game changing  defensive player like Chase Young and Haskins develops into at least an average QB in year two who throws for 3500 yards and 20 TDs our team will win double the games it did last year, and maybe win 7 or 8 and be heading in the right direction as long as Haskins continues to develop from what will become year two to year three for 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

@turtle28 if the lion offer us #3 and their 2nd round pick for #2 under the conditions that they do not take Chase Young. How do you not do that!? 

Its a free 2nd round choice! instead of moving down to 5 we still get our guy and a 2nd rounder! not to mention a possible 3rd for Kerrigan. Im just blown away you wouldnt do that

I already said I don’t trust the Lions and I especially don’t trust the former Patriots assistant who is their HC to be an honorable person. I 100% think that Patricia would want Chase Young over an injured Tua.

Who in the world is giving us a 3rd for a soon to be 32 year old Ryan Kerrigan?

This is a proposal that will never ever happen. I can’t even fathom it, I guess that’s another reason why I can’t agree to it, bc it won’t happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Facts when you look in the Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl selection that players came from all over in the draft and some not even drafted. It's not where you are picked, it's about what you and the staff around you do once drafted or signed. 

Yes, but it’s not a fact that we trade down and all those players you mentioned turn into be good players. That’s your opinion, that’s not a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I already said I don’t trust the Lions and I especially don’t trust the former Patriots assistant who is their HC to be an honorable person. I 100% think that Patricia would want Chase Young over an injured Tua.

 

Thats ridiculous. If the Lions say theyll trade Chase Young and their 2nd rounder. Then thats what it is.

When we traded Bailey for Portis. Denver didnt send over Jason Elam instead did they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes we need talent. Remind me again, who’s the most talented player in the 2020 draft?

Last years offensive talent is irrelevant to what this years offensive talent will be. We will most likely have Trent back, Haskins will be a year more developed, we will  have an upgrade at starting TE and at worst more developed 2nd year WRs but most likely an upgrade at our #2 WR spot via free agency too.

If we want more immediate talent to upgrade our team it’s going to come through free agency and not the draft. We will likely have $65 to $75 million in cap space to spend in free agency next month once we cut Norman, PRich and Reed.

With that money we will be able to re-sign Scherff and Flowers, fill a starting need a TE, competition for the #2 spot at WR, sign a few corners, a few LBs and a starting FS.

You do those things, add a game changing  defensive player like Chase Young and Haskins develops into at least an average QB in year two who throws for 3500 yards and 20 TDs our team will win double the games it did last year, and maybe win 7 or 8 and be heading in the right direction as long as Haskins continues to develop from what will become year two to year three for 2021.

You seem to not think there are 31 other teams out there trying to improve as well. Everyone is trying to get better. Instead of 1 guy that sells a lot of jerseys. We can sign multiple 1st round picks while adding players. Which means were beating the others in gathering talent.  31 others are trying to improve too.

Since you need reminding Burrows is the most talented.

And dont bother trying to change my mind on either. If anything. Youre making me want a trade more than ever.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×