2020 Draft thread

lavar703

Just now, turtle28 said:

Tua’s not healthy. It doesn’t matter what he’s was pre dislocating and fracturing his hip.

That is not relevant anymore. 

Tell that to all the teams that passed on Brees after his injury. Teddy Bridgewater as well. Even Alex Smith may return to football after Many have said he wouldn't play again. Once again #Facts outweigh your Opinion. If Doctors say he will be ok, a team will take a chance on him. Last year we did it with Sweat. 

This is only about your statement saying his past history is Irrevalant, not about Tua's worth. His past Winning history is Why Team's want to know what his health will be for the future. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

@turtle28, if Tua shows up at the combine and shows he's recovered, then I don't think he drops down that much (if at all).

It was absolutely a freak injury this time from Tua, but a dislocated hip always bothers me because each time that joint comes out, the potential for it to happen again increases.  He's also had two high ankle sprains and the concussion that came with the hip injury.  At some point when does medical come into play that he could be snake bite from injury?  

I've watched a lot of Bama.  I saw him at his best in the 2017 national title game where he relieved Jalen Hurts and dismantled Georgia on their way to beating us.  I saw the SEC championship game the next year where we corralled him- granted he was playing hurt- and Hurts came on and beat us.  He's a damn good prospect, and even with the injury is still a first round talent.  But if Jonathan Allen falls like he did with the shoulder conditions, Tua could fall with the lower-body concerns.  Some folks are pre-disposed to different injuries with their body types and genetics.  Kevin Nash and Triple H in wrestling have both torn their quads multiple times.  Fred Taylor gained the nickname "Fragile Fred" missing 23 of 49 games from 1999-2001 because of injury and even had undiagnosed shoulder injuries that weren't spotted until after his playing career.  I hope that's not Tua, but any team wanting to draft him needs the best doctors to look over his medicals, probably even moreso than having scouts look at his film.

• Like 1

I think Tua is too big a risk & will slip out of the top 10.

And I don't think Burrow is a slam dunk to be this great QB either. He was on a great team. 

In fact, didn't Haskins beat him out at Ohio St. Before Burrow transfered to LSU.

If I were Mike Brown, I would draft Chase Young @#1, then see which QB drops to the late 1st. I mean, not everyone is drafting a QB in the 1st rd, right?

What if Tua dropped to the 20's, because of his injuries?

What if Hebert drops for some reason?

I think Burrow is the only guarantee to go top 5, because of the year he had. Hopefully for us, he goes #1.

Bengals have the top pick in the 2nd Rd.

They could wait to see who slips down to the late 1st, then pounce on their QB on a trade up.

Heck, Jake Fromm will probably be there...Jordan Love as well.

Nobody knows how good Burrow will be. Nothing is guaranteed.

If it was, A. Rodgers wouldn't have been sitting in the Green room all night waiting to be selected.

But let's HOPE, Mike Brown is not thinking like me.

Let's hope he takes Burrow #1. 😎👍

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

@turtle28, if Tua shows up at the combine and shows he's recovered, then I don't think he drops down that much (if at all).

I don’t think he drops much at all either, but that’s bc teams are so desperate for good to great QB play that they’ll take the risk on him. 

He could totally go as high as 3rd if teams are willing to trade up with Det to draft Tua, is that a good decision?

I’d argue no. If I’m a GM, I’m staying put and seeing if Tua falls to when I pick, if he’s gone, I take the healthy Herbert who reminds me a lot of Big Ben with his size strength and sneaky athleticism for a man his size.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Thanks my mistake. Yet his injury effected his free agency. Some Teams trusted other Doctors more than others.

Yes that’s true, Brees’ injury did effect his free agency.The Dolphins originally were going to sign him but didn’t bc their doctors didn’t think his shoulder would ever be the same. They signed Dante Culpepper instead. 

The Saints took the chance on him and that decision by both teams forever changed their histories.

I remember wishing the Redskins could cut Mark Brunnell and sign Drew Brees, but Woz and others said we couldn’t afford the cap hit bc of the contract we gave to Brunnell. I definitely wanted to draft Brees too or Santana Moss instead of Rod Gardner. I’ve been a fan of Brees for forever since he was tearing up the Big10 at Purdue.

Edited by turtle28

16 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It was absolutely a freak injury this time from Tua, but a dislocated hip always bothers me because each time that joint comes out, the potential for it to happen again increases.  He's also had two high ankle sprains and the concussion that came with the hip injury.  At some point when does medical come into play that he could be snake bite from injury?  

I've watched a lot of Bama.  I saw him at his best in the 2017 national title game where he relieved Jalen Hurts and dismantled Georgia on their way to beating us.  I saw the SEC championship game the next year where we corralled him- granted he was playing hurt- and Hurts came on and beat us.  He's a damn good prospect, and even with the injury is still a first round talent.  But if Jonathan Allen falls like he did with the shoulder conditions, Tua could fall with the lower-body concerns.  Some folks are pre-disposed to different injuries with their body types and genetics.  Kevin Nash and Triple H in wrestling have both torn their quads multiple times.  Fred Taylor gained the nickname "Fragile Fred" missing 23 of 49 games from 1999-2001 because of injury and even had undiagnosed shoulder injuries that weren't spotted until after his playing career.  I hope that's not Tua, but any team wanting to draft him needs the best doctors to look over his medicals, probably even moreso than having scouts look at his film.

True teams need to check his medical history. Just recently Tua received a positive update on that Hip Injury witch is a good thing for him. Things keep heading in that direction because of his Talent and Good Medical Progression the team interested in him will only grow more. 

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2875608-early-xfl-standouts-who-should-be-grabbing-the-nfls-attention.amp.html

The biggest and perhaps most influential experiment in the XFL received little to no acknowledgement during opening weekend since it directly ties into the NFL draft process.

St. Louis BattleHawks safety Kenny Robinson is using the XFL as an alternative to playing college football.

NFL rules state a player must be three years removed from high school before being eligible to declare for the draft. Robinson spent two seasons with the West Virginia Mountaineers before he chose to leave. He originally entered the NCAA's transfer portal, but he later decided to play in the XFL instead.

"When I was leaving school, I had just found out recently that my mom had cancer," Robinson told USA Today. "(So) the decision was either go back to school and sit out a year, and then wait until next year to be drafted, or go to the XFL and help provide for my family."

Robinson made the best choice for his family. He'll now be eligible to play for the NFL after this season, and interest should in his services should be sky-high.

The 6'2", 198-pound safety earned first-team All-Big 12 honors as a true sophomore in 2018. He left the Mountaineers program as its active leader with seven interceptions. Robinson was relatively quiet in his first XFL action, though his five total tackles finished fourth on the team with fellow safety Will Hill.

But the 21-year-old defensive back is the most promising player in a league where he's surrounded by former NFL players.

"I just want to prove that I belong here and that I deserve a chance at the next level," Robinson told USA Today.

• Like 1

Agree with everything in red front. Three comments in red, bolded font.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-eight-moves-to-fix-messy-redskins-why-vikings-will-be-in-combine-spotlight-and-more/ 

By Jason Laconfora

Here is what I would prescribe...

• If they can't get Williams to agree to an extension by Friday, inform him his trade request is being honored. Grant his agent permission to seek a new contract with any interested teams as part of the trade discussions. They should be able to land at least two second-round picks for him given what Laremy Tunsil fetched from the Texans.
  • Be prepared to start over at running back. You can find them all over the draft. Adrian Peterson's time has come and gone. Don't pick up the option and if you can find a taker for Derrius Guice, move him too. The constant run of injuries portends more of the same moving forward. Oh yeah, and ditto for linebacker Rueben Foster, whom Allen claimed off waivers at a time when he was still under criminal investigation. Time to move on there. 
  • Give Jordan Reed a press conference and make a significant donation to the Concussion Research Laboratory at the University of Pittsburgh in his name. Whether or not Reed chooses to play football again, and I suspect he will not given all the head trauma he has already experienced, is up to him, but the Skins will be starting all over at the tight end position. Perhaps Reed wants to join the coaching staff? I'd reach out about that as well. Do this the right way. All class.  
  • Put the franchise tag on Brandon Scherff. Guards can play deep into their 30s and you need some foundational piece on an offensive line that, like the running back and receiver and tight end position, needs to be totally rebuilt. Yeah, it really is that bad, and you need as many picks as possible, which leads me to …   
  • Trade Dunbar. Yeah he is one of few recent success stories, going from undrafted to impact player, but it's time to clean house with the Skins again starting over, an extension isn't in the cards, and now is the time to move on.  Depends on what we can get for him.
  • Trade either Ryan Kerrigan or Ryan Anderson. Kerrigan's play tailed off a year ago and while he has been the face of the franchise, if you can move that $12M and get him to a winning team, do so. Anderson started to show real flashes when he got to start some late in the season, but the recent second-round pick hasn't seen enough of the field and he's in his walk year. If the Skins are drafting edge rusher Chase Young second overall, all the more reason to move one of these two.
  • Of course, I would be auctioning off the second overall pick as well. Let someone jump up to take Tua at two and collect a ransom of draft picks for it. There are so many holes here, and Young won't fill them all even if he is a generational pass rusher. This needs to be about quantity and quality in Washington. Depends on what we are getting in the trade.
  • And finally, as much as Snyder has become close with him, and for all that he has overcome to reach this point after suffering a potentially life-threatening leg injury in 2018, the Skins have to be prepared to move on from Alex Smith in 2021. The odds of him ever playing again remain remote, and if he is going to remain in a front office or coaching capacity, all parties need to be on the same page about it.

I'd feel a lot better (although I feel pretty good) about draft Chase Young if we traded Trent Williams for a second OR two seconds per Laconfora. 

Edited by Skinsin2013

17 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Agree with everything in red front. Three comments in red, bolded font.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-eight-moves-to-fix-messy-redskins-why-vikings-will-be-in-combine-spotlight-and-more/ 

By Jason Laconfora

Here is what I would prescribe...

• If they can't get Williams to agree to an extension by Friday, inform him his trade request is being honored. Grant his agent permission to seek a new contract with any interested teams as part of the trade discussions. They should be able to land at least two second-round picks for him given what Laremy Tunsil fetched from the Texans.
  • Be prepared to start over at running back. You can find them all over the draft. Adrian Peterson's time has come and gone. Don't pick up the option and if you can find a taker for Derrius Guice, move him too. The constant run of injuries portends more of the same moving forward. Oh yeah, and ditto for linebacker Rueben Foster, whom Allen claimed off waivers at a time when he was still under criminal investigation. Time to move on there. 
  • Give Jordan Reed a press conference and make a significant donation to the Concussion Research Laboratory at the University of Pittsburgh in his name. Whether or not Reed chooses to play football again, and I suspect he will not given all the head trauma he has already experienced, is up to him, but the Skins will be starting all over at the tight end position. Perhaps Reed wants to join the coaching staff? I'd reach out about that as well. Do this the right way. All class.  
  • Put the franchise tag on Brandon Scherff. Guards can play deep into their 30s and you need some foundational piece on an offensive line that, like the running back and receiver and tight end position, needs to be totally rebuilt. Yeah, it really is that bad, and you need as many picks as possible, which leads me to …   
  • Trade Dunbar. Yeah he is one of few recent success stories, going from undrafted to impact player, but it's time to clean house with the Skins again starting over, an extension isn't in the cards, and now is the time to move on.  Depends on what we can get for him.
  • Trade either Ryan Kerrigan or Ryan Anderson. Kerrigan's play tailed off a year ago and while he has been the face of the franchise, if you can move that $12M and get him to a winning team, do so. Anderson started to show real flashes when he got to start some late in the season, but the recent second-round pick hasn't seen enough of the field and he's in his walk year. If the Skins are drafting edge rusher Chase Young second overall, all the more reason to move one of these two.
  • Of course, I would be auctioning off the second overall pick as well. Let someone jump up to take Tua at two and collect a ransom of draft picks for it. There are so many holes here, and Young won't fill them all even if he is a generational pass rusher. This needs to be about quantity and quality in Washington. Depends on what we are getting in the trade.
  • And finally, as much as Snyder has become close with him, and for all that he has overcome to reach this point after suffering a potentially life-threatening leg injury in 2018, the Skins have to be prepared to move on from Alex Smith in 2021. The odds of him ever playing again remain remote, and if he is going to remain in a front office or coaching capacity, all parties need to be on the same page about it.

I'd feel a lot better (although I feel pretty good) about draft Chase Young if we traded Trent Williams for a second OR two seconds per Laconfora. 

Some good stuff here, but don't agree with taking a cleaning house approach.  The point of changing coaching staff is that we believe the coaching staff was holding this team back.  So IMO, in this case, you don't hit the personnel reset button.  First you need to re-evaluate our talent under the new staff.  I mean cmon, even Callahan got more out of the personnel than Gruden.  Who knows what Rivera can do.

I don't understand the gloom and doom at running back.  I think a true starter emerges between Guice and Love.   This article is obviously a puff piece because Love isn't even mentioned.  Peterson gives us a stop gap in the mean time.  We need to be a bit patient here.  This isn't a position we need to panic about because there are endless mid level running backs available all year round.  I let this develop for another season.  We have other places to spend money and draft picks.

In terms of Kerrigan, yes his play tailed off last year, uh he was hurt.  The three years before that were some of his best years.  So if you want to trade him don't rationalize it because his play is tailing off.  If anything in a proper 4-3 he should excel.

I don't understand how we can look at dunbar, call him one of our few success stories and then trade him.  Yes, trade him if we can't get a fair extension worked out, but we shouldn't jump to trade him.  

Yes please on Alex Smith.  But if he truly wants to play, I trot him out there during preseason and then trade him to a team that gets a QB injury before trade deadline.  Unless he wants to be a qb coach I don't see what else he is qualified for at this point.  

• Like 1