2020 Draft thread

lavar703

Just read a Bleacher Report article that suggested the following:

Washington Redskins Receive: Nos. 9 and 20 picks, DE Yannick Ngakoue

Jacksonville Jaguars Receive: No. 2 pick, fourth-rounder (No. 98)

I would do this one, I think. 

We could walk away with Yannick Ngakoue, Andrew Thomas, and Kenneth Murray for Chase Young. That’s a haul. Getting Thomas (or Becton or Wills or whomever) would put us in position to trade Trent, which would offset much of the cost increase caused by a long-term deal to Ngakoue. Move Trent for a late 2nd, get a potential starting WR with that pick, and then look at TE or FS with our natural 3rd — that would be quite a draft. 

Can’t see the Jags paying that sort of price unless they’re absolutely in love with Tua, but I’d have to say yes if the offer was made. Thoughts?

Edited by e16bball

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

We could walk away with Yannick Ngakoue, Andrew Thomas, and Kenneth Murray for Chase Young. That’s a haul. Getting Thomas (or Becton or Wills or whomever) would put us in position to trade Trent, which would offset much of the cost increase caused by a long-term deal to Ngakoue. Move Trent for a late 2nd, get a potential starting WR with that pick, and then look at TE or FS with our natural 3rd — that would be quite a draft. 

Can’t see the Jags paying that sort of price unless they’re absolutely in love with Tua, but I’d have to say yes if the offer was made. Thoughts?

To low for me. We could get a LT and edge is upgraded but if I don’t draft Chase I almost have to get Simmons or Okudah

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It's a good offer/idea. My issue is we’d still be giving up the most talented player in the draft. I don't remember the Redskins ever having a chance at drafting that high of a prospect - I guess Lavar or Sean Taylor - but most of us didn't know before the draft if Sean was going to be the best talent out of the draft or not.

This time we know he's the top talent - except for some people that seem to want to come up with reasons not to take Young. Right now, we know he's the top prospect and we haven't had a chance at a defensive front 7 prospects since Lavar Arrington and by everyone’s account, Chase is a better prospect then Arrington and certainly plays a more impactful position.

On top of that, the only reason we are considering taking DE this high in the draft is bc of the prospect, it's not bc of the need.

So why go and trade for a DE when it's not one of our top needs at the moment? It doesn't make much sense to me. LT, CB, TE, WR and LB are players I’d see us trade for.

Lastly, Ngakoue wants out of Jax bc he wants paid just like Trent does. The Redskins don't want to pay $20M for their own pro bowl LT, but they'd trade for a DE from another team and pay that? Doesn't seem realistic at all.

Ngakoue wants to set the market for DEs and he’s is going to be around $20 m per on avg. I don't think we should be in that business unless we are retaining homegrown talent.

I mean, half of this forum and probably more than half of Redskins fans in general didn't want to pay that much for a good starting QB back in 2016, 17 & 18 and they still don't.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I am starting to think it might be harder to draft young than to not draft him.  What I mean is, I wouldn't be surprised if we receive a bunch of fair offers like this that the front office has to be willing to turn down to draft young.  This will be especially hard if Rivera determines our roster is needy. 

It will be very interesting to see if when we are on the clock if we immediately submit the pick or wait until the end.  I have to believe our on the clock time is going to be very busy, filled with phone calls.  I would think it would be prudent to at least listen.  

7 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am starting to think it might be harder to draft young than to not draft him.  What I mean is, I wouldn't be surprised if we receive a bunch of fair offers like this that the front office has to be willing to turn down to draft young.  This will be especially hard if Rivera determines our roster is needy. 

It will be very interesting to see if when we are on the clock if we immediately submit the pick or wait until the end.  I have to believe our on the clock time is going to be very busy, filled with phone calls.  I would think it would be prudent to at least listen.  

I don't think so. It gets much more complicated working out a trade deal vs just doing the smart thing and taking the best prospect in the draft who will almost assuredly have a great impact on your team for the next decade plus.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It's a good offer/idea. My issue is we’d still be giving up the most talented player in the draft. I don't remember the Redskins ever having a chance at drafting that high of a prospect - I guess Lavar or Sean Taylor - but most of us didn't know before the draft if Sean was going to be the best talent out of the draft or not.

This time we know he's the top talent - except for some people that seem to want to come up with reasons not to take Young. Right now, we know he's the top prospect and we haven't had a chance at a defensive front 7 prospects since Lavar Arrington and by everyone’s account, Chase is a better prospect then Arrington and certainly plays a more impactful position.

On top of that, the only reason we are considering taking DE this high in the draft is bc of the prospect, it's not bc of the need.

So why go and trade for a DE when it's not one of our top needs at the moment? It doesn't make much sense to me. LT, CB, TE, WR and LB are players I’d see us trade for.

Lastly, the market for Ngakoue is going to be around $20 m per on avg. I don't think we should be in that business unless we are retaining homegrown talent.

I mean, half of this forum and probably more than half of Redskins fans in general didn't want to pay that much for a good starting QB back in 2016, 17 & 18 and they still don't.

Right like the money for him as the edge like I just want Chase to develop here and us actually have a superstar we groomed that deserves a top market deal!!! I want our own home grown talent