2020 Draft thread

lavar703

30 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

I was only irked because I wanted Beasley.  It showed what I knew.O.o

Beasley had burst and one move. He never developed better moves but he had potential. I just I’m a huge Clemson guy and I didn’t think he was worth the grades they were giving him. Burst and explosion are great when there’s a good feel for the game. So your not running up field When their running at you like you thought you had a free rush to a QB after he handed it off. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

It sucks that a year your bad enough to have pick 5 that Guard was actually a value.

This is the key point. No one should ever be happy with a guard in the top 5, unless perhaps they’re a superhuman black hole destroyer like Quenton Nelson. Which Scherff isn’t. 

But they did correctly identify that the rest of the “top” prospects had too many questions marks, and they chose accordingly, which is to say conservatively. Sorta like trying for a solid B on a really hard test that most people are going to fail. Once they apply the curve, you’re gonna look pretty good. 

• Like 3

Enjoy the trade back!  :D

Note all are realistic trades according to NFL draft calculator. Also didn't factor in TW and Dunbar trades OR any other signings beyond...

Redskins sign Clowney... 3 years/$45 million.

Redskins trade with Miami for:
Round 1 Pick 5
Round 1 Pick 18
Round 2 Pick 18

Miami selects Tua.

Redskins then trade (it's the DOUBLE QUARTERBACK TRADE BACK!!!) Round 1 Pick 5 to Las Vegas for:
Round 1 Pick 12
Round 1 Pick 19

Las Vegas selects Justin Herbert.

Redskins draft:
Round 1 Pick 12 (L.V.): Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa (A)
Round 1 Pick 18 (MIA): CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma (A)
Round 1 Pick 19 (L.V.): Kenneth Murray, ILB/OLB, Oklahoma (A)
Round 2 Pick 24 (MIA): Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (A)
Round 3 Pick 2: Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan (A)
Round 4 Pick 2: Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 36 (COMP): Troy Pride, CB, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 5 Pick 2: John Reid, CB, Penn State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 2: Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt (A+)
Round 7 Pick 15: TJ Brunson, OLB, South Carolina (A+)

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Enjoy the trade back!  :D

Note all are realistic trades according to NFL draft calculator. Also didn't factor in TW and Dunbar trades OR any other signings beyond...

Redskins sign Clowney... 3 years/$45 million.

Redskins trade with Miami for:
Round 1 Pick 5
Round 1 Pick 18
Round 2 Pick 18

Miami selects Tua.

Redskins then trade (it's the DOUBLE QUARTERBACK TRADE BACK!!!) Round 1 Pick 5 to Las Vegas for:
Round 1 Pick 12
Round 1 Pick 19

Las Vegas selects Justin Herbert.

Redskins draft:
Round 1 Pick 12 (L.V.): Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa (A)
Round 1 Pick 18 (MIA): CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma (A)
Round 1 Pick 19 (L.V.): Kenneth Murray, ILB/OLB, Oklahoma (A)
Round 2 Pick 24 (MIA): Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (A)
Round 3 Pick 2: Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan (A)
Round 4 Pick 2: Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 36 (COMP): Troy Pride, CB, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 5 Pick 2: John Reid, CB, Penn State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 2: Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt (A+)
Round 7 Pick 15: TJ Brunson, OLB, South Carolina (A+)

Very nice. I’ve been bouncing the multiple trade concept around in the back of my head a bit, but I’m glad you took the time and thought to work it all out. 

I don’t know that it’s realistic for Wirfs to be there at 12, and especially Lamb at 18 — but I think we’d have a real good shot at either Jeudy or Lamb at 12 and Josh Jones from Houston at 18. Then add Murray and Kmet to those two, and we’re really cooking with gas. 

I don’t think any of the players we’d get would be as good as Chase Young. I don’t think Clowney is as good as Chase Young. And we’d definitely be missing that pure pass-rushing ability, as I don’t know that I think either Sweat or Clowney are going to provide that.

But that’s 5 talented players, 4 of whom would be gotten in direct return for the Chase Young pick. That’s hell of a way to jumpstart a reload, instead of a rebuild. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Beasley had burst and one move. He never developed better moves but he had potential. I just I’m a huge Clemson guy and I didn’t think he was worth the grades they were giving him. Burst and explosion are great when there’s a good feel for the game. So your not running up field When their running at you like you thought you had a free rush to a QB after he handed it off. 

He also wasn't very big. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Awesome!

I remember a bunch of skins fans pissed at this selection.

"You don't pick a guard a #5"!

I loved the pick then & I love the pick now.

And he apparently WAS the right pick.

Now lock him up!

There are a lot of warts with those other players selected.  The Redskins made the most out of a tough situation.  I also don't think you can evaluate the draft and say Scherff was a guard.  When we drafted him, it was as a tackle, but instead of moving pieces around, they plugged him in at guard.  From all I remember, the thought was him eventually replacing Morgan Moses, but he ended up playing guard well enough that they dropped that idea.  

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There are a lot of warts with those other players selected.  The Redskins made the most out of a tough situation.  I also don't think you can evaluate the draft and say Scherff was a guard.  When we drafted him, it was as a tackle, but instead of moving pieces around, they plugged him in at guard.  From all I remember, the thought was him eventually replacing Morgan Moses, but he ended up playing guard well enough that they dropped that idea.  

He ended up playing guard because he was so bad during training camp at tackle that they had no choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

He ended up playing guard because he was so bad during training camp at tackle that they had no choice.

I just looked that up and you are correct.  He had issues with pass protection.  I guess since he took well to guard, and with the tackles we had already, they didn't see a need to try the switch again.  

About half the scouting gurus thought he would be better at guard. He was a beast at tackle in college but always a better run bliocker It was kind of comical when they were playing him at guard that still referred to him as tackle for a lot of his first season- being sensitive to drafting a guard 5 lol. He’s the best player from those top selections now, 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I vividly remember saying, the moment he was drafted, “they took a ****ing guard?! In the top 5?? A ****ing guard!” So I think it was definitely always in play as a real option, even at the time.

Or maybe I was the only one who saw it that way, and the original intention was 100% to play him as an OT until he failed at it...always a possibility. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

It's Tua - to Miami ~

I still think there’s zero chance anyone trades up for a QB with a bad hip who can’t have a pro day. Imagine giving up 3 first round picks only to find out the guy can’t move the way he used to and you had no clue because you couldn’t evaluate him pre-draft...