2020 Draft thread

lavar703

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But that’s a silly reason not to take Young. He’s clearly head and shoulders better than the current talent we have. Kerrigan is old and clearly slowing down, Anderson isn’t good and Orchard is a back up. Allen, Payne and Ioannidis are not 4-3 DEs. So right now we’re relying on Sweat who struggled as a rookie and Kerrigan who is limited to one side of the field because of his hearing issue. 

I don't know this seeing we haven't had a competent DC since Gruden became HC. 

17 hours ago, offbyone said:

You don't think there is a chance they want Tua?

They have a 32-year old QB in prime.

Why take an injury prone Qb to develop #3 overall?

At 3 they should be adding One of the best players available - that isn't an injured & injury prone Tua. They need a defensive prospect like an Okudah or Simmons to help improve a defense that has underperformed for the former Belichick defensive coordinator. I'm sure everyone in Detroit’s front office & coaching staff know that the reason the team hasn't won more w/ Stafford has to do with below average D play, not bc of their offense w/ Stafford at the helm for the last decade.

It's time for Detroit to finally fix the D & give Stafford a better chance at a championship before his career is over. 

Of course they just traded away Darius Slay instead of paying one of the best corners in the NFL instead of paying him, which doesn’t help their defense but at the same time it points to them probably drafting Jeff Okudah at #3.

Edited by turtle28

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

But that’s a silly reason not to take Young. He’s clearly head and shoulders better than the current talent we have. Kerrigan is old and clearly slowing down, Anderson isn’t good and Orchard is a back up. Allen, Payne and Ioannidis are not 4-3 DEs. So right now we’re relying on Sweat who struggled as a rookie and Kerrigan who is limited to one side of the field because of his hearing issue. 

Had me until you said Sweat struggled as a rookie. Sweat was fine as a rookie, he was inconsistent the first half of the year but really came on the second half of the year.

In his last 8 games he had 5.5 sacks, 24 tackles, 9 QB hits, 5 tackles for loss, 2 passes defensed and 2 forces fumbles on 63.8% of the defensive snaps.

Also, Allen or Ioannidis could and should play 4-3 strongside DE/LDE on run downs so we can really stuff the run on first downs and short yardage then w/ Chase Young on the opposite side. Then, on passing downs - like 70% of the game we will have Young, Kerrigan or Sweat in the game at the DE positions w/ Allen, Ioannidis, Payne & Settle rotating at DT.

We Definitely should draft Chase Young and take advantage of having one of the best 6 or 7 man DL rotations in the NFL like the 49ers had last year.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

2 for 5, 18, and 56. 

Simmons
Lamb
Trautman 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’d be shocked if Lamb is still there around 18. Not to mention it would almost be criminal to trade down and not get a tackle. 

I would be shocked also if Lamb lasted til 18. Also you might not get Simmons at 5. 

If we traded and got the 5th Pick and luckily we get Simmons, at 18 I think all the good tackles will be gone. No guarantees on a trade down, SO JUST DRAFT CHASE! 

Also drafting Chase will make him and Sweat that much better. DYNAMIC PAIR!

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

We haven't had a competent def coord - until this year - since 2009 when Greg Blache was our def coord. In 2010, Mike Shanahan hired Jim Haslett. Then, we went to Joe Barry in 2015, then Manusky in 2017 -19 and finally!! Rivera is hired and he hires Jack DelRio to be his Def Coord.

McShay just dropped a new mock. Had 12 receivers going in the top 2 rounds. A nice round dozen. 

Jerry Jeudy (pick 11)

Ceedee Lamb (12)

Henry Ruggs (13)

Brandon Aiyuk (20)

Justin Jefferson (22)

Tee Higgins (30)

Michael Pittman (34)

Denzel Mims (36)

Laviska Shenault (46)

Jalen Reagor (50)

Chase Claypool (54)

Devin Duvernay (60)

Probably leaves KJ Hamler, Tyler Johnson, KJ Hill, or maybe Gandy-Golden as the top WR on the board. I really like Hamler, but he’s basically Steven Sims, and I’m not sure that you can really consistently play the two together on the field at once. 

Unfortunately, this is what I envision happening. All the desirable wideouts will be off the board by 66, and we’ll be stuck waiting around for the next tier. In fairness, that tier is way better than the typical day 3 WR group, but still.

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

You don't think there is a chance they want Tua?

Nope. But I still think they'd take Okudah. I'm willing to bet some teams have Okudah ranked ahead of Young simply because NFL teams are weird and almost never rank players the same way draftniks do. Hell, there's probably a chance the Lions take Okudah and the Giants take Simmons and Young is sitting there at 5 if we trade back but it would be an outrageously lucky outcome.

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

McShay just dropped a new mock. Had 12 receivers going in the top 2 rounds. A nice round dozen. 

Jerry Jeudy (pick 11)

Ceedee Lamb (12)

Henry Ruggs (13)

Brandon Aiyuk (20)

Justin Jefferson (22)

Tee Higgins (30)

Michael Pittman (34)

Denzel Mims (36)

Laviska Shenault (46)

Jalen Reagor (50)

Chase Claypool (54)

Devin Duvernay (60)

Probably leaves KJ Hamler, Tyler Johnson, KJ Hill, or maybe Gandy-Golden as the top WR on the board. I really like Hamler, but he’s basically Steven Sims, and I’m not sure that you can really consistently play the two together on the field at once. 

Unfortunately, this is what I envision happening. All the desirable wideouts will be off the board by 66, and we’ll be stuck waiting around for the next tier. In fairness, that tier is way better than the typical day 3 WR group, but still.

WR is the most interesting spot in the draft to me,how deep it was last year cause players like Hakeem Butler and Kelvin Harmon to fall into day 3,This class is even the deeper then that on in my view.

If the run on WR happens before our 3rd like this suggests it mean a player elsewhere could fall into our laps.

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Which part? I mean, Kerrigan is getting old and can only rush from one side, this is fact. Ryan Anderson is simply not a pass rusher. I mean, we would’ve seen flashes of some sort but it hasn’t happened. 

So my point is this, we can sit here and act like pass rusher isn’t a need and then next year go into the season losing Anderson to free agency, Kerrigan a year older and potentially breaking down more and then who’s rushing opposite Sweat? We could’ve had Young but instead we trade down and presumably take a corner considering Simmons will most likely go the Giants. We then hope and pray the OT we take at 18 or 26, whichever one we get because we aren’t getting both is a legit starter. 

16 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

WR is the most interesting spot in the draft to me,how deep it was last year cause players like Hakeem Butler and Kelvin Harmon to fall into day 3,This class is even the deeper then that on in my view.

If the run on WR happens before our 3rd like this suggests it mean a player elsewhere could fall into our laps.

Yep. Like an OT or a TE. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yep. Like an OT or a TE. 

Yeah either of them.A interesting Defensive name that people on twitter seem to be think is falling in Delpit. Know its smokescreen season but seen mutliple scout post on twitter how some teams have Chinn and Rugger getting picked before him,and asked another when it sounded like Delpit would go and got back late 2nd early 3rd.

The UVA homer in me would also love Bryce Hall,but don't think this team can afford to take a Injured guy in 3rd unless we trade back some.

We need offensive help so hoping day 2 and 3 focus on O but not ignore a defensive player if talent is there.

1 minute ago, ovfd55 said:

Yeah either of them.A interesting Defensive name that people on twitter seem to be think is falling in Delpit. Know its smokescreen season but seen mutliple scout post on twitter how some teams have Chinn and Rugger getting picked before him,and asked another when it sounded like Delpit would go and got back late 2nd early 3rd.

The UVA homer in me would also love Bryce Hall,but don't think this team can afford to take a Injured guy in 3rd unless we trade back some.

We need offensive help so hoping day 2 and 3 focus on O but not ignore a defensive player if talent is there.

I’ve been saying for awhile Delpit is going to fall. @turtle28and I squabbled a little bit about it. This is why I’m so adamant about getting the Jets two thirds and trading them to get back into the second. 

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ve been saying for awhile Delpit is going to fall. @turtle28and I squabbled a little bit about it. This is why I’m so adamant about getting the Jets two thirds and trading them to get back into the second. 

I think Deloitte falls. I see a lot of Amerson in him as a Saftey!! Gifted but relays on those abilities too much. I think he falls

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Which part? I mean, Kerrigan is getting old and can only rush from one side, this is fact. Ryan Anderson is simply not a pass rusher. I mean, we would’ve seen flashes of some sort but it hasn’t happened. 

So my point is this, we can sit here and act like pass rusher isn’t a need and then next year go into the season losing Anderson to free agency, Kerrigan a year older and potentially breaking down more and then who’s rushing opposite Sweat? We could’ve had Young but instead we trade down and presumably take a corner considering Simmons will most likely go the Giants. We then hope and pray the OT we take at 18 or 26, whichever one we get because we aren’t getting both is a legit starter. 

I give Kerrigan another 3-4 years in the league. So you have Sweat and Kerrigan as your starters at least 2 more seasons. You also have The Greek Freak who can start and play DE once Kerrigan is gone.

With a trade getting Miami's 3 1st round picks my targets are All Starters or can be fill ins right away. Say they take Simmons at 5, Thomas at 18, leaving 26 with options. Last year Sweat was available at this spot, So while they wouldn't be getting the best pass rusher in Chase Young I/FACTS have shown another one just as capable might still be there. Or you can go FS/WR/ or CB at 26. 

Point being Chase ADDS to the Teams Strengths right now basically leaving other areas unattended/Weak.