2020 Draft thread

lavar703

Just now, lavar703 said:

Except this Tony Pauline article was floated long ago and I haven’t seen another one like it. I’ve never seen another scout even validate this article. Sheehan had him on his show after this article because they’re friends and he basically said Chase Young is overrated but still the best player in the draft and he’d pick him at two so I honestly have no idea what he’s getting at other than writing an article that he knew would get clicks. 

And while everyone wants clicks because that makes them money, with absolutely nothing else going on right now, anything related to the NFL draft is trying to be as "click-worthy" as possible.  Some of the stuff coming out from reputable sites is now even bordering on click-bait

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

And for every article like that. You can find one going this... All articles are just trying to get clicks.

https://247sports.com/Article/Chase-Young-2020-NFL-Draft-overrated-Pro-Football-Network-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-143488103/

Very true. At this point, it's all just people keeping their jobs creating content. And all scouts are not going to look at the same player and evaluate them the same.

• Like 1

Should we consider drafting AJ Dillon - the Boston College RB (6’, 247 pounds) and move him to FB?

I’ve just been thinking lately what are we going to do at FB?

The Panthers used a FB on run downs during the Rivera era, I have to imagine we will do the same. We have not re-signed Mike Burton who spent the second half of the year on our roster last year after Bill Callahan took over for Jay Gruden.

JW what people think about the FB position and if they’d consider AJ Dillion if he’s there at the end of the 4th w/ our comp pick or in the 5th?

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Except this Tony Pauline article was floated long ago and I haven’t seen another one like it. I’ve never seen another scout even validate this article. Sheehan had him on his show after this article because they’re friends and he basically said Chase Young is overrated but still the best player in the draft and he’d pick him at two so I honestly have no idea what he’s getting at other than writing an article that he knew would get clicks. 

Damn, great knowledge Lavar. It must hurt Chase Young detractors when you can basically shove everyone of their arguments - which never add up - back in their face and call BS on them.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I imagine that FB is filled with a late round pick (I'm sure there is a trade-down scenario where we can net an additional seventh) or sign an UDFA to fill that spot.  I can't see a fourth or fifth round pick being used on a fullback at this point.  

Yeah, so here’s my issue. I’ve been doing research on FB candidates and there’s nothing out there! Like zilch except for Dillon that’s worth being drafted. Dillon is more then a FB too, he’s a good RB, so if we draft him he could fill dual roles as a short yardage running back and a full back too. So, I think it’ll he’s there in the 5th that it makes sense for us to take him.

He rushed for 4,382 yds & 38 TDs in 3 years at Boston College.

https://www.drafttek.com/m/positionals2020/Top-College-Fullbacks-2020-Draft.asp

I guess other FB options who will be 6th round picks to UDFA’s are as follows:

1. AJ Dillon, BC

2. Kelton Moore, Nevada

3. Brady Ross, Iowa

4. Darius Bradwell, Tulane

5. Conor Slomka, Army

6. Jo-El Shaw, Kent St

7. Ben Ellefson, North Dakota St

8. Jay Jay Wilson, Auburn

It would make more sense to me to take AJ Dillon, play him at FB then to take a LB for example bc we have 7 LBs already competing for 2 starting LB spots and probably 3 or 4 back up LB spots and Ryan Anderson may have to transition to SLB also in the 4-3 rather then playing DE.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, so here’s my issue. I’ve been doing research on FB candidates and there’s nothing out there! Like zilch except for Dillon that’s worth being drafted. Dillon is more then a FB too, he’s a good RB, so if we draft him he could fill dual roles as a short yardage running back and a full back too. So, I think it’ll he’s there in the 5th that it makes sense for us to take him.

1. AJ Dillon, BC

2. Kelton Moore, Nevada

3. Brady Ross, Iowa

5. Conor Slomka, Army

6. Jo-El Shaw, Kent St

It would make more sense to me to take AJ Dillon, play him at FB then to take a LB for example bc we have 7 LBs already competing for 2 starting LB spots and probably 3 or 4 back up LB spots and Ryan Anderson may have to transition to SLB also in the 4-3 rather then playing DE.

Conor Slomka/Army. will fit right in to RR type of player. Looks like a pretty good player and would be my guess if we selected a FB. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Conor Slomka/Army. will fit right in to RR type of player. Looks like a pretty good player and would be my guess if we selected a FB. 

I really want AJ Dillon, I hope he’s there for us at the end of round 4 with our comp pick. If we pass on him there, I’d hope he lasts until our 5th round pick.

I like Slomka too from Army, I’d have to imagine RR will love him too.

Brady Ross looks like a straight up boss as a lead blocker but w/ him I’m worried if he can catch - same w/ Slomka.

I want a Darrell Young type FB who is a great lead blocker and can also catch. 

So, that leads me to Ben Ellefson from North Dakota St - also looks like a RR player or Jay Jay Wilson bc not only can he block but he can catch some too. 

FBGP's 2020 Shrine Bowl Interview: Ben Ellefson https://youtu.be/fFokUx6Q7qA via @YouTube 

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

1. AJ Dillon, BC

2. Kelton Moore, Nevada

3. Brady Ross, Iowa

5. Conor Slomka, Army

6. Jo-El Shaw, Kent St

Serious question: has AJ Dillon ever thrown a run block? I mean the guy was 3rd in NCAA (behind Taylor and Dobbins) in yards over the last 3 seasons — he is legitimately going to get drafted to be a true RB, why do we think he would even consider agreeing to line up as a FB to primarily lead block for other runners? Just because he’s big doesn’t mean he’s going to end up a FB. He doesn’t have to. Someone will want him to play RB for them. 

Good chance that nowadays you have to look at other positions to find FBs. Not many guys can (or will) do it, but they come from all over the place. A few have always been FBs — Anthony Sherman, Derek Watt, and Andy Janovich were traditional FBs in college. But Kyle Juszczyk, Jamize Olawale, and Patrick DiMarco were TEs in college. CJ Ham and John Kuhn were small school RBs. And James Develin, Alex Armah, and Patrick Ricard were college DLs. 

It’s an extremely difficult position to scout. You need to know their attitude, their personality, and their desire to play the position. That the Ravens have somehow managed to unearth and transition both Juszczyk and Ricard from other positions in college is remarkable. Hopefully Kyle is trying to take a page out of their book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Serious question: has AJ Dillon ever thrown a run block? I mean the guy was 3rd in NCAA (behind Taylor and Dobbins) in yards over the last 3 seasons — he is legitimately going to get drafted to be a true RB, why do we think he would even consider agreeing to line up as a FB to primarily lead block for other runners? Just because he’s big doesn’t mean he’s going to end up a FB. He doesn’t have to. Someone will want him to play RB for them. 

Good chance that nowadays you have to look at other positions to find FBs. Not many guys can (or will) do it, but they come from all over the place. A few have always been FBs — Anthony Sherman, Derek Watt, and Andy Janovich were traditional FBs in college. But Kyle Juszczyk, Jamize Olawale, and Patrick DiMarco were TEs in college. CJ Ham and John Kuhn were small school RBs. And James Develin, Alex Armah, and Patrick Ricard were college DLs. 

It’s an extremely difficult position to scout. You need to know their attitude, their personality, and their desire to play the position. That the Ravens have somehow managed to unearth and transition both Juszczyk and Ricard from other positions in college is remarkable. Hopefully Kyle is trying to take a page out of their book.

Very true, I am just basing on AJ Dillon’s size at 250. At the same time, given our depth at RB, if we drafted him and he wanted to start he would probably very willing to play FB so he could get some carries and catch a pass or so a game too. Just thinking out loud.

Another guy I’m thinking could fill the roll is Josiah Deguara, TE from Cincinnati.  He’s 6’2, 242, so he’s a little on the short side & length side for a TE, but he is a good tough blocker and a good receiver. It seems like he’d be a good selection an  FB & HB if we look him in round 7 - if available - we may have to take him in round 5 given his production to ensure we gat him bc we don’t have a 6th bc of the Keenum trade from last year.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josiah-deguara?id=32194445-4770-3400-9fe2-3240dc1a9dab

Deguara started all 13 games as a junior [in 2018], catching 38 passes for 468 yards (12.3 average) and five scores. American Athletic Conference coaches voted Deguara first-team all-league for his play in 14 starts as a senior (39 receptions, 504 yards, 12.9 average, seven touchdowns).

Overview 
Hard-nosed move tight end who will garner consideration as an NFL H-back. He's a gritty blocker who plays with good positioning and works hard at sustaining blocks to help his run game. As a pass catcher, Deguara is sure-handed with good feel for soft spots against zone, but may need an accurate thrower due to contested catch likelihood and suspect catch radius. He's the type of Day 3 prospect who flies under the radar, but ends up becoming a solid contributor at H-back.
Strengths
  • Takes run-blocking duties to heart
  • Good angles up to second level and squares his target
  • Finds his block fit and sustains with balance and footwork
  • Counted on to help seal the edge in run game
  • Basketball feel and fluidity in his route breaks
  • Stems defenders out of place with sharp head fakes
  • Monitors safeties and surveys spacing against zone
  • Races to soft spots and demands the football
  • Catches what is thrown at him and rarely has focus drop

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Should we consider drafting AJ Dillon - the Boston College RB (6’, 247 pounds) and move him to FB?

I’ve just been thinking lately what are we going to do at FB?

The Panthers used a FB on run downs during the Rivera era, I have to imagine we will do the same. We have not re-signed Mike Burton who spent the second half of the year on our roster last year after Bill Callahan took over for Jay Gruden.

JW what people think about the FB position and if they’d consider AJ Dillion if he’s there at the end of the 4th w/ our comp pick or in the 5th?

No. You dont draft K, P, LS, or FB. 

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Very true, I am just basing on AJ Dillon’s size at 250. At the same time, given our depth at RB, if we drafted him and he wanted to start he would probably very willing to play FB so he could get some carries and catch a pass or so a game too. Just thinking out loud.

Another guy I’m thinking could fill the roll is Josiah Deguara, TE from Cincinnati.  He’s 6’2, 242, so he’s a little on the short side & length side for a TE, but he is a good tough blocker and a good receiver. It seems like he’d be a good selection an  FB & HB if we look him in round 7 - if available - we may have to take him in round 5 given his production to ensure we gat him bc we don’t have a 6th bc of the Keenum trade from last year.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josiah-deguara?id=32194445-4770-3400-9fe2-3240dc1a9dab

He is likely to go undrafted. 

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

He is likely to go undrafted. 

Deguara, Ellefson and Jay Jay Wilson will probably all go undrafted, but taking a player in the 7th guarantees you get them, waiting until after the draft there's no guarantee we get him. 

I don't agree that you absolutely 100% don't draft any position except for long snapper.

The Ravens drafted Justin Tucker - seems like a smart move as he's the best kicker in the game.

The Ravens drafted Kyle Juszczyk in the 4th round and damn if that Ohio boy didn't  become the best FB in the NFL and one on the best FBs of all time.

A 7th round pick is the same as an UDFA basically, the only difference is that you get to chose for sure who you add where with UDFA’s the player can choose so they don't have to go to your team.

Edited by turtle28

I think we can got the best blocking fullback at 7 round or priority free agent 

Bronson Rechsteiner, SR, Kennesaw State

this guy loves blocking, played fullback and doesn’t have to transition from TE, and has very good hands for pass catching out of the backfield. 

https://www.tribuneledgernews.com/sports/rechsteiner-impresses-during-kennesaw-state-pro-day/article_7f7b6844-63ea-11ea-8411-1f88b91820e2.html