2020 Draft thread

lavar703

37 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Best case scenario for trade-down purposes is Redskins at #1 and Bengals/Dolphins at #2/#3. Extort the team at 3 into paying a price to move up to 1 for their QB, still get Chase Young. 

Probably wouldn’t get the huge (RGIII) package for that move down, but it would still be a great bonus for us while still getting our guy.

This is why I have wanted #1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

I definitely wouldn't want the Giants to get Young. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Jeudy was the guy at the beginning of the season for me but now I'm scared to lose out on Young especially if we get a Good/Great DC to replace Manusky. I would do whatever I could in my power to make sure Young didn't end up a Giant. So I think that should be taken in consideration when thinking about how far you move down as well. The team Young would actually end up with. 

well the giants should get another win when they play us so thatll push them further down lol

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

well the giants should get another win when they play us so thatll push them further down lol

For the betterment/confidence of Haskins I'd hope we get Win's or at least a good offensive performance from him against the Jets and Giants. With that being SAID I take a better performance with loses to stay fighting for the highest draft spot as possible. Guice is returning as well so I want those guy's to finish the year on positive notes. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

LA radio chatting up the possibility of Chargers trading both Rivers and Okung to the Redskins for the number 1 pick. Slow sports day in LA

That's so stupid I must be stupidier for even commenting on the stupidity of it . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

LA radio chatting up the possibility of Chargers trading both Rivers and Okung to the Redskins for the number 1 pick. Slow sports day in LA

I'm honestly just shocked that LA radio realizes they have 2 teams.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

But, back to my first paragraph, on the flip side of that, we have to weigh how much a premium EDGE player helps put your team over the top if you have decent QB play.  Mack made the Bears ferocious last year with decent QB play.  The Broncos won a SB, and Von won MVP, with Manning playing at a decent level.  The 49ers went from drafting 2nd overall last year to undefeated over halfway through the season this year, largely because of Bosa.  If Haskins can give us decent QB play, Chase Young may be worth turning down an early 2020 1st, 2021 1st and 2020 2nd.  He could put this team over the top.

I find the EDGE position overrated in the value of a team. You might value the EDGE position greater and I can respect that. From what I've researched if prospects are graded out equally, on average an offensive line player will add more value to a team than an EDGE player. We've gone on a run with some great Edge prospects like the Bosa brothers, Mack and Myles Garrett so its a tough argument to make. I can name just as many top 10 Edge players that didn't add much value to their team.

So looking at this year's draft, Chase Young seems to be the rare unicorn and it doesn't seem like there's many prospects graded out equally. The one player that I am looking at is LT Andrew Thomas who could grade out around the same however. We've had great LT play out of Chris Samuels and Trent Williams and the team hasn't gone very far so a Franchise Left Tackle will be a hard sell to the fan-base.  Is a non-QB player really worth 3 high draft picks? I can't recall many examples of a player being worth it, but then again I haven't really analyzed it. If we can make a trade where we could land Andrew Thomas and another first round draft pick that seems like the sensible thing to do. Add another 2nd round draft pick? That's an easy choice for me. We're favorites for tomorrow's game so we'll see if we are even having this discussion tomorrow.:D

I think we'll finish 3-13.

1) There's still some winnable games left like Jets (I see ghosts), Lions (Stafford hurt), Giants (rookie).

Plus, you always have to account for the possible upset as well. Like the finale @ Dallas.

2) Redskins have NEVER finished worse than 3-13 in any given year, during a 16 game season.

As bad as we are & we're bad. There's still enough talent on this team to squeak out a couple wins. 

I think when all is said & done?

We'll be picking either #3, #4 or #5.

Good spot for Chase Young, J. Jeudy or Andrew Thomas. Which is who I think we draft, if we do not trade down.

But I think there's probably a 75% or better that we do trade down, because of no 2nd Rd draft choice.

The decision to trade down could also strangely enough depend on what we get for Trent Williams, if in fact he ever gets traded.

7 hours ago, taylor made said:

I find the EDGE position overrated in the value of a team. You might value the EDGE position greater and I can respect that. From what I've researched if prospects are graded out equally, on average an offensive line player will add more value to a team than an EDGE player. We've gone on a run with some great Edge prospects like the Bosa brothers, Mack and Myles Garrett so its a tough argument to make. I can name just as many top 10 Edge players that didn't add much value to their team.

So looking at this year's draft, Chase Young seems to be the rare unicorn and it doesn't seem like there's many prospects graded out equally. The one player that I am looking at is LT Andrew Thomas who could grade out around the same however. We've had great LT play out of Chris Samuels and Trent Williams and the team hasn't gone very far so a Franchise Left Tackle will be a hard sell to the fan-base.  Is a non-QB player really worth 3 high draft picks? I can't recall many examples of a player being worth it, but then again I haven't really analyzed it. If we can make a trade where we could land Andrew Thomas and another first round draft pick that seems like the sensible thing to do. Add another 2nd round draft pick? That's an easy choice for me. We're favorites for tomorrow's game so we'll see if we are even having this discussion tomorrow.:D

As @Slateman has said, I think an individual OL player doesn’t move the needle ALL that much — but clearly a strong overall OL unit is hugely important. Probably even more important than a great overall DL. Just look at the Rams if you need an example of how a coach/QB can look unstoppable when the OL is dominating, but immediately become mortal once they have to deal with pass-rushers getting home and run plays getting stuffed. Teams like the Cowboys, Eagles, Colts, Steelers, and Pats (more because of scheme than talent in that case) are clear examples of how an elite OL unit can carry a decent offense to good performance or a good offense to elite performance.

The thing about just getting a great LT, though, is that he can pretty much only block one guy at a time, so if the players next to him aren’t winning on their assignments, he can’t do it all on his own. But a great EDGE player can wreck an opposing game plan all on his own, as we see guys like Mack do consistently or as Clowney just did to SF on MNF last week. You can move him around like a chess piece and use him in different ways to attack the opposition’s vulnerabilities and force them to adjust to try to contain him. 

In other words, if we could draft a great OL unit, I’d say do that. But getting a LT is just one piece of that puzzle — we’d still need to upgrade at LG and RT most likely, in order to reap the benefits of great OL play. Whereas adding a Chase Young, by himself, could transform our defense with his presence...and then after him we could try to accumulate multiple picks to (potentially) seek multiple OL upgrades. 

• Like 2

It’s an absolute shame about Tua’s injury for his sake, and the sake of the game. But it also just figures for the Redskins — the year we need there to be multiple high-end QB prospects at the top of the draft, the most highly regarded one gets badly hurt in late November and his status is now totally up in the air. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

It’s an absolutely shame about Tua’s injury for his sake, and the sake of the game. But it also just figures for the Redskins — the year we need there to be multiple high-end QB prospects at the top of the draft, the most highly regarded one gets badly hurt in late November and his status is now totally up in the air. 

Yeah, it’s typical, par for the course luck for the Redskins. It just became absolutely imperative that we lose tomorrow if we want a realistic chance at the 2nd overall pick and Young, which of course means we’ll win and pat ourselves on the back about it.

Anyway, really feel for Tua and his family

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

As @Slateman has said, I think an individual OL player doesn’t move the needle ALL that much — but clearly a strong overall OL unit is hugely important. Probably even more important than a great overall DL. Just look at the Rams if you need an example of how a coach/QB can look unstoppable when the OL is dominating, but immediately become mortal once they have to deal with pass-rushers getting home and run plays getting stuffed. Teams like the Cowboys, Eagles, Colts, Steelers, and Pats (more because of scheme than talent in that case) are clear examples of how an elite OL unit can carry a decent offense to good performance or a good offense to elite performance.

The thing about just getting a great LT, though, is that he can pretty much only block one guy at a time, so if the players next to him aren’t winning on their assignments, he can’t do it all on his own. But a great EDGE player can wreck an opposing game plan all on his own, as we see guys like Mack do consistently or as Clowney just did to SF on MNF last week. You can move him around like a chess piece and use him in different ways to attack the opposition’s vulnerabilities and force them to adjust to try to contain him. 

In other words, if we could draft a great OL unit, I’d say do that. But getting a LT is just one piece of that puzzle — we’d still need to upgrade at LG and RT most likely, in order to reap the benefits of great OL play. Whereas adding a Chase Young, by himself, could transform our defense with his presence...and then after him we could try to accumulate multiple picks to (potentially) seek multiple OL upgrades. 

Let me clarify my comments - I value the OT prospect over the EDGE prospect (if closely graded) because on average you have a greater chance drafting a quality OT than an EDGE prospect. It wasn't in reference to on field play - I can agree with that and more-so about draft philosophy.

The team has gone away from drafting O-Lineman early in the last three years and has spent four of their last nine Day 1 & 2 draft picks on DL/EDGE who have only put this team deep in the basement of the NFC East.