Jump to content
lavar703

2020 Draft thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

If we get the #1 pick, we should put it up for auction early.

Trade down & get a plethora of draft picks to rebuild this team.

I'm talking multiple 1st rounders....even for 2021...multiple 2nd rounders, etc.

If by some chance, nobody is offering fair compensation or what we want?

Draft Chase Young....

But only if we don't walk away with a Hershall Walker/RG3 type of deal.

I just think when it’s all said and done the Burrow hype is going to die. I suspect we’ll end up passing on Chase Young and taking Thomas. He’ll end up being a decent tackle and Young will go on to be an All-Pro with the Giants. It’s better for Chase Young if we don’t draft him especially after we name Manusky headcoach for life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

If we get the #1 pick, we should put it up for auction early.

Trade down & get a plethora of draft picks to rebuild this team.

I'm talking multiple 1st rounders....even for 2021...multiple 2nd rounders, etc.

If by some chance, nobody is offering fair compensation or what we want?

Draft Chase Young....

But only if we don't walk away with a Hershall Walker/RG3 type of deal.

Between a top 3 pick, Trent, and a couple other pieces they could move there’s plenty of assets to crush this offseason. Too bad we have zero faith in Bruce to execute any of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we get at least a 2nd round pick for Trend?  Sure I am hoping for a 1st but I just don't see that happening since every team interested knows he will not be playing for us next year.  So at least we can get our 2nd pick back.   Honestly, guys what exactly are you feeling for Haskins?  I just don't have a good feeling about him. But the investment is big on him so we will need to role the dice next year and hope for the best.

 

To me it is more paramount to get a decent to great DC.  We have assets on that D-line that if coached well they should excel.  And honestly, if we can move back and pick up a decent free safety so much the better.  We need a  FS and a CB, Norman should be gone for sure next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1
19 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Sometimes I like to imagine a world where we never did the RG3 trade - rolled with Kirk. Then everything went perfect after that. 

Reasonably taken Kuechly and Janoris Jenkins, DeAndre Hopkins, Mack

Oh mama. 

Hell man I just imagine this pathetic front office did the right thing and signed Cousins to a long term contract for about 22 mil a year which now seems dirt cheap.  Then imagine we don't trade for Smith, and (lose a pck and a promising corner),  and last year we had our 15th pick which we could have traded back and picked up more picks and still get Sweat without using our 2nd rounder.  That one move screwed us up.  Also how stupid to not get Wade Phillips when we had the chance.  too many drastic mistakes put us in this pathetic state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Can we get at least a 2nd round pick for Trend?  Sure I am hoping for a 1st but I just don't see that happening since every team interested knows he will not be playing for us next year.  So at least we can get our 2nd pick back.   Honestly, guys what exactly are you feeling for Haskins?  I just don't have a good feeling about him. But the investment is big on him so we will need to role the dice next year and hope for the best.

 

To me it is more paramount to get a decent to great DC.  We have assets on that D-line that if coached well they should excel.  And honestly, if we can move back and pick up a decent free safety so much the better.  We need a  FS and a CB, Norman should be gone for sure next year.

I mean, generally speaking, the investment isn’t that big. His contract is cheap, we didn’t trade up for him and we’ll have a new staff. If they wanted to move on from him it wouldn’t be difficult. Now I don’t think that’s a good idea but I’m just saying it wouldn’t be difficult to move on. 

For me, this draft is Chase Young. I’ve said it repeatedly. If he’s available he has to be the pick. This team badly needs a game wrecker on defense who can actually get to the QB. We should be able to get a second and fourth or fifth for Trent so I think we can get a OT there. So yeah, for me it’s Chase Young. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent article in the WAPO by Sally Jenkins . I think it's been the last 10 drafts or so- The Redskins have taken a total of 26 "linemen" ( offense and defense  ).  In contrast- New England has taken 38 ! Thirty-eight !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Excellent article in the WAPO by Sally Jenkins . I think it's been the last 10 drafts or so- The Redskins have taken a total of 26 "linemen" ( offense and defense  ).  In contrast- New England has taken 38 ! Thirty-eight !

I don't really understand the article.  The Oline and Dline are the strengths of the team.  The Oline has fallen apart some because Trent bailed, but they have invested a lot of draft picks on both lines lately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't really understand the article.  The Oline and Dline are the strengths of the team.  The Oline has fallen apart some because Trent bailed, but they have invested a lot of draft picks on both lines lately.  

yeah lately .. like the last two drafts right . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't really understand the article.  The Oline and Dline are the strengths of the team.  The Oline has fallen apart some because Trent bailed, but they have invested a lot of draft picks on both lines lately.  

Yeah this is silly comparing us to New England.  A decade of massive success changes how a franchise can operate because of the ability to attract players.

But she loses all credibility when you consider despite them putting more emphasis on this they tried to trade for Trent Williams earlier in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Yeah this is silly comparing us to New England.  A decade of massive success changes how a franchise can operate because of the ability to attract players.

But she loses all credibility when you consider despite them putting more emphasis on this they tried to trade for Trent Williams earlier in the season.

They've had the 10 success BECAUSE of the way they operate. The fact they tried to add Trent  just adds credibility - how much they value top linemen .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

They've had the 10 success BECAUSE of the way they operate. The fact they tried to add Trent  just adds credibility - how much they value top linemen .

Our Front Office sucks, but its not because of the reasons she's listing in that article.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

They've had the 10 success BECAUSE of the way they operate. The fact they tried to add Trent  just adds credibility - how much they value top linemen .

I don't see it that way.  Some of the things New England does is only possible because of the success they have had.  Their ability to attract free agent players at low cost is one of those things that has nothing to do with how they operate it is because the players want a chance at a title.  Belichick's ability to demand more from his players is also a symptom of that success.  If Belicheck left or Brady was gone, this attraction will likely fizzle.  

They wouldn't have needed Trent if they drafted so great.  New England has incredible coaching and an incredible qb and both these factors have persisted for a decade.  It is an extremely rare thing that you really don't see anywhere else in the league and it is pretty much near impossible to duplicate this situation especially in the era of free agency.  The leverage that situation gives them is really special and it isn't just a philosophy or culture that can be imbued.  It is only something they can do because of their great success.  We certainly couldn't duplicate it just by doing the same things,  you need the success first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a chance to watch the LSU offensive snaps from the Texas game from earlier this year on a break from court this morning. 

Burrow was definitely impressive. He looked excellent on a lot of levels, I can’t deny that. Ball placement was great, arm was good enough, made some very timely/gutty plays, and he’s a real good athlete. He made some risky throws that would’ve gotten picked at the next level (and instead turned into big plays at the college level), but that’s true of most college QBs. Texas wasn’t getting much in the way of pressure on him — I also saw him against Auburn, and he wasn’t quite as good when Derrick Brown and the boys were putting some heat on him. If they get #1, they’d have to consider him — but I’d still go elsewhere (Young or trade).

I will say, though, it’s a hell of a lot easier to look great when you’ve got guys like Justin Jefferson and Jamarr Chase to work with. They both looked absolutely great. @PARROTHEAD, you mentioned earlier that Jefferson is 6’3 but doesn’t play like it, and that is so remarkably true. Watching him bend routes and turn upfield and adjust to balls, you’d think he’s 5’11 (maybe as much 6’1), and it’s shocking to realize how big he is. He’s super impressive. If we could get an early 2nd rounder, I’d love to use it on him if he makes it that far. Chase also looked like a complete stud, a man among boys despite being one of the younger guys on the field. I’d book him for a top 20 pick next year, as long as they can find a QB worthy of him. 

I’d also happily give Joe Brady the reins of our offense if he’d take it. His alma mater (THE College of William and Mary) is known for turning out excellent coaches, and his work there this season has been phenomenal. A Kris Richard/Joe Brady ticket is exactly what DC needs. 

EDITED to add that Edwards-Helaire is also damn impressive. He’s made some huge plays (in terms of impact, as much as yardage) out of nothing in each of the games I’ve had the chance to watch so far. He had a crazy 3rd down conversion in the 4th quarter against Alabama that was every bit as big as Burrow’s “Heisman moment.”

Edited by e16bball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×