2020 Draft thread

lavar703

On 11/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, TheGreeK1973 said:

Can we get at least a 2nd round pick for Trend?  Sure I am hoping for a 1st but I just don't see that happening since every team interested knows he will not be playing for us next year.  So at least we can get our 2nd pick back.   Honestly, guys what exactly are you feeling for Haskins?  I just don't have a good feeling about him. But the investment is big on him so we will need to role the dice next year and hope for the best.

To me it is more paramount to get a decent to great DC.  We have assets on that D-line that if coached well they should excel.  And honestly, if we can move back and pick up a decent free safety so much the better.  We need a  FS and a CB, Norman should be gone for sure next year.

I’d say Jim Tomsula has done a good job developing Matt Ioannidis and Allen and Payne continue to play well. So, I think the DL coaching/development is fine. Our problem is more inconsistent pass rush from our OLBs, average at best play from our ILBs - especially in coverage - which isn’t something new, that goes back a decade and our secondary has vastly underperformed vs what we thought they’d be.

A new defensive coordinator will help, but we need personnel upgrades - particularly at ILB - and corner opposite Dunny. Norman’s got to go. I don’t know what the heck happened to him the last two years but I’m more shocked when he stops someone from catching a pass on him now rather then someone getting a reception on him bc it happens so frequently.

It’s clear that Moreau is not a slot corner. I don’t know if moving him to the outside as a starter helps his play next year but, it may and I think that position is better suited for him. I’m not sure if Moreland can become our slot guy, and we shouldn’t just give him the job bc we like him. We need to draft another corner at some point and sign a corner to compete with Moreau for the starting job opposite Dunny and that has the ability to play in the slot too.

Edited by turtle28

On 11/19/2019 at 11:42 AM, MKnight82 said:

I don't really understand the article.  The Oline and Dline are the strengths of the team.  The Oline has fallen apart some because Trent bailed, but they have invested a lot of draft picks on both lines lately.  

Actually, sadly the left side of our offensive line has been better than what we thought would be the strength of our OL - after Trent decided to sit out - the right side of our OL and our center. I don’t know what the hell has happened to Scherff, but he’s easily been the biggest disappointment on the roster this year!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Actually, sadly the left side of our offensive line has been better than what we thought would be the strength of our OL - after Trent decided to sit out - the right side of our OL and our center. I don’t know what the hell has happened to Scherff, but he’s easily been the biggest disappointment on the roster this year!

Yeah ironic that our left side is totally fine. 

it kind of seems like Roullier has regressed, huh?  I was hoping he might turn into something special, but it is looking more like he is a serviceable player but not a strength.

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Yeah ironic that our left side is totally fine. 

it kind of seems like Roullier has regressed, huh?  I was hoping he might turn into something special, but it is looking more like he is a serviceable player but not a strength.

Honestly, I don't know if Roullier has played good or bad, I don't really notice him, which IMO is a good thing for an OL. I do know that Scherff has had a down year in a contract year - which is not a good sign for him - and Moses hasn't taken a step forward in his development like most people expected he would. Neither one of them are bad, but I certainly expect them to be better than average and better than the left side of our OL and they haven't been.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, turtle28 said:

I’d say Jim Tomsula has done a good job developing Matt Ioannidis and Allen and Payne continue to play well. So, I think the DL coaching/development is fine. Our problem is more inconsistent pass rush from our OLBs, average at best play from our ILBs - especially in coverage - which isn’t something new, that goes back a decade and our secondary has vastly underperformed vs what we thought they’d be.

A new defensive coordinator will help, but we need personnel upgrades - particularly at ILB - and corner opposite Dunny. Norman’s got to go. I don’t know what the heck happened to him the last two years but I’m more shocked when he stops someone from catching a pass on him now rather then someone getting a reception on him bc it happens so frequently.

It’s clear that Moreau is not a slot corner. I don’t know if moving him to the outside as a starter helps his play next year but, it may and I think that position is better suited for him. I’m not sure if Moreland can become our slot guy, and we shouldn’t just give him the job bc we like him. We need to draft another corner at some point and sign a corner to compete with Moreau for the starting job opposite Dunny and that has the ability to play in the slot too.

Agreed. Even about Moreland. He's a big guy now. He needs to earn it every year.

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Can we get one in the 3rd or 4th? Because I agree it's time. 

We can probably get a good reliable TE in round 3, but unlikely an elite one. Very rarely do talents like.Jordan Reed - with first-round talent - fall to round 3.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We can probably get a good reliable TE in round 3, but unlikely an elite one. Very rarely do talents like.Jordan Reed - with first-round talent - fall to round 3.

I mean...

Travis Kelce

George Kittle

Jason Witten

Jimmy Graham

Delanie Walker

Jordan Reed

Austin Hooper

Mark Andrews

A lot of the best TEs of the past few seasons were 3rd rounders or later. Not to mention Aaron Hernandez (who was a star when he was on the field) and guys like Jared Cook, Cooley, Julius Thomas, Owen Daniels, etc. who have looked pretty damn good at least for parts of their career. 

I think as the game has continued to evolve toward the passing offense, TE is starting to get moved up on the draft hierarchy, to the point that you’ll see them go in the 1st round or first few picks of the 2nd round — much like safety in that way — but it’s still one of the more common positions to find a true star in the mid-rounds. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I mean...

Travis Kelce

George Kittle

Jason Witten

Jimmy Graham

Delanie Walker

Jordan Reed

Austin Hooper

Mark Andrews

A lot of the best TEs of the past few seasons were 3rd rounders or later. Not to mention Aaron Hernandez (who was a star when he was on the field) and guys like Jared Cook, Cooley, Julius Thomas, Owen Daniels, etc. who have looked pretty damn good at least for parts of their career. 

I think as the game has continued to evolve toward the passing offense, TE is starting to get moved up on the draft hierarchy, to the point that you’ll see them go in the 1st round or first few picks of the 2nd round — much like safety in that way — but it’s still one of the more common positions to find a true star in the mid-rounds. 

For some reason I remembered Kelce and Witten being 2nd round picks, but I see that they were both 3rd round picks.

Jimmy Graham lasted to round 4 bc he was a college basketball player, not a football player, he only played 1year of college football.

I still can't believe Kittle, Andrews and Hooper fell that far in the draft, they were definitely late 1st or 2nd round talents when I watched them play in college.

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

The only one in F A is Hunter Henry/ Chargers . He's a good 'un  !

He and Eifert are more injury prone than Jordan Reed. If we signed them it’d have to be incentive laiden & come with some kind of injury clause.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I only saw about half the game, but it looked to me like he was killing the RT — while the LT (Rasheed Walker) was actually holding his own with him for the most part. Did anyone else see that? Did he beat up on the LT when I wasn’t watching?

That would be mildly concerning, as far as picking nits go, given that while Walker was a pretty big recruit, he’s a redshirt freshman. Even if he’s going to be a great player, you’d really expect Young to have his way with him at this point. 

That poor RT just got beaten like a bongo though, on pretty much every play I saw. Young was almost literally running circles around him. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I only saw about half the game, but it looked to me like he was killing the RT — while the LT (Rasheed Walker) was actually holding his own with him for the most part. Did anyone else see that? Did he beat up on the LT when I wasn’t watching?

That would be mildly concerning, as far as picking nits go, given that while Walker was a pretty big recruit, he’s a redshirt freshman. Even if he’s going to be a great player, you’d really expect Young to have his way with him at this point. 

That poor RT just got beaten like a bongo though, on pretty much every play I saw. Young was almost literally running circles around him. 

Not really sure but I know he had 3 more sacks and 4 TFLs. It looked to me like they were doubling him up when he was rushing from the LTs side. The announcers spoke on this as well. As soon as they took Young our Penn State would open up their offense and take shots down the field.