2020 Draft thread

lavar703

There are way too many holes to address in one draft or FA year.  Here is my current, cursory breakdown of the roster.  Lots of holes right now, and upcoming holes to boot.  There is a lot of work that needs to get done to make this a decent roster again.  

QB- This probably the only position that doesn't need to be addressed, but if this team is bad enough to get Tu'a or Herbert, and a new coach prefers them over Haskins, this could be what the top pick is used for.  Hopefully not, but we all thought that wouldn't happen in Arizona, but it did.  

RB- Adrian Peterson has an option on his contract. Derrius Guice could be damaged goods, and if he can't make it back to play this season, it might make a bad impression on his future with a new coach.  Chris Thompson and Wendell Smallwood will be free agents.  At least one running back is needed..  

WR- One of the weakest groups in the NFL.  Paul Richardson is made of glass, and could be a cap casualty.  Terry McLaurin is definitely a player.  Everyone else on the WR depth chart is fighting for touches so they can state their case for the next coach.  

TE- Jordan Reed is also made of glass and has a lengthy concussion history.  He could be gone.  Vernon Davis is an ageless wonder, but he might need to be replaced.  

OT- My money is on Trent Williams never playing for us again.  Donald Penn is 36 and may retire.  Morgan Moses has three years left on his contract, and is a good bet to stay.  Geron Christian hasn't really impressed.  

OG/C- A major decision is looming on Brandon Scherff.  Chase Roullier is a solid center.  Ereck Flowers is proving to be a solid guard right now but is also a free agent, as is backup interior lineman Tony Bergstrom. 

DL- This is a unit that needs depth at DE behind Jonathan Allen and Matt Ionaiddis.  DT is set with DaRon Payne and Tim Settle 

OLB- Ryan Kerrigan shows no signs of slowing down, but 2020 is the last year of his contract and he will be 33 at the end of it.  Montez Sweat is here for the long haul, but another bookend pass-rusher becomes a need shortly.  I am not impressed with the depth behind them either, and Ryan Anderson is a bust.  

ILB- Anything that the club can get in the future out Reuben Foster is gravy, but with his injury and off-field history, you just can't count on him.  I won't go over the litany of ILB's on the roster, but there are varying opinions about each one.  It's a solid group that equals the sum of their parts, but it also needs an infusion of top end talent.  

CB- Josh Norman is not playing well right now, and neither is Quinton Dunbar, who is also hurt.  Fabian Moreau is also hurt, and has not cashed in on his potential yet.  Veterans DRC and Aaron Colvin likely won't be around, and Greg Stroman and Jimmy Moreland are projects.  A major shakeup could happen at cornerback.  

S- Landon Collins is locked into a big time deal and is going nowhere.  Montae Nicholson has been up and down, and I think his best fit is in a utility role, but he can function as a starter.  In today's NFL landscape, you need someone to play center field and the Redskins have lacked that since Sean Taylor.  DeShazor Everett, who is currently the main backup is a FA at the end of the year.  

P- Tress Way is a free agent, and it would not surprise me to see him chase a ring if a competitor has an opening.  It will be tough to replace a top 5 punter.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There are way too many holes to address in one draft or FA year.  Here is my current, cursory breakdown of the roster.  Lots of holes right now, and upcoming holes to boot.  There is a lot of work that needs to get done to make this a decent roster again.  

QB- This probably the only position that doesn't need to be addressed, but if this team is bad enough to get Tu'a or Herbert, and a new coach prefers them over Haskins, this could be what the top pick is used for.  Hopefully not, but we all thought that wouldn't happen in Arizona, but it did.  

RB- Adrian Peterson has an option on his contract. Derrius Guice could be damaged goods, and if he can't make it back to play this season, it might make a bad impression on his future with a new coach.  Chris Thompson and Wendell Smallwood will be free agents.  At least one running back is needed..  

WR- One of the weakest groups in the NFL.  Paul Richardson is made of glass, and could be a cap casualty.  Terry McLaurin is definitely a player.  Everyone else on the WR depth chart is fighting for touches so they can state their case for the next coach.  

TE- Jordan Reed is also made of glass and has a lengthy concussion history.  He could be gone.  Vernon Davis is an ageless wonder, but he might need to be replaced.  

OT- My money is on Trent Williams never playing for us again.  Donald Penn is 36 and may retire.  Morgan Moses has three years left on his contract, and is a good bet to stay.  Geron Christian hasn't really impressed.  

OG/C- A major decision is looming on Brandon Scherff.  Chase Roullier is a solid center.  Ereck Flowers is proving to be a solid guard right now but is also a free agent, as is backup interior lineman Tony Bergstrom. 

DL- This is a unit that needs depth at DE behind Jonathan Allen and Matt Ionaiddis.  DT is set with DaRon Payne and Tim Settle 

OLB- Ryan Kerrigan shows no signs of slowing down, but 2020 is the last year of his contract and he will be 33 at the end of it.  Montez Sweat is here for the long haul, but another bookend pass-rusher becomes a need shortly.  I am not impressed with the depth behind them either, and Ryan Anderson is a bust.  

ILB- Anything that the club can get in the future out Reuben Foster is gravy, but with his injury and off-field history, you just can't count on him.  I won't go over the litany of ILB's on the roster, but there are varying opinions about each one.  It's a solid group that equals the sum of their parts, but it also needs an infusion of top end talent.  

CB- Josh Norman is not playing well right now, and neither is Quinton Dunbar, who is also hurt.  Fabian Moreau is also hurt, and has not cashed in on his potential yet.  Veterans DRC and Aaron Colvin likely won't be around, and Greg Stroman and Jimmy Moreland are projects.  A major shakeup could happen at cornerback.  

S- Landon Collins is locked into a big time deal and is going nowhere.  Montae Nicholson has been up and down, and I think his best fit is in a utility role, but he can function as a starter.  In today's NFL landscape, you need someone to play center field and the Redskins have lacked that since Sean Taylor.  DeShazor Everett, who is currently the main backup is a FA at the end of the year.  

P- Tress Way is a free agent, and it would not surprise me to see him chase a ring if a competitor has an opening.  It will be tough to replace a top 5 punter.  

Great post and I agree with almost all of it. So much here, I’ll comment later on where I disagree slightly. I guess one easy spot would be at WR, I like what we have and we still have Kidsy & Cam Sims on the practice squad too. We have a lot of young talent and I like Richardson’s skill set. He had a TD on Sunday. That being said, I totally agree with Lavar and others that we could use another top starting WR opposite McLaurin - but I’m not sure that Harmon couldn’t be Garçon like - so, we may have the guy on the roster already. 

Still, taking a WR high seems like a good idea this draft.

2. RB is certainly a question mark moving forward given Guice’s two knee injuries the last two years but we also have Bryce Love. I personally don’t know how you don’t re-sign CT to a similar deal he has now - despite his injury history - given our question marks at the position and the fact then when he’s on the field he’s our 2nd or 3rd best playmaker and it’s been that way since 2015. I’d re-sign Smallwood to a one year vet min contract. He impressed while at Philly the previous few years, he’s a decent runnier with speed and he can catch too. He’s a lot a good special teams guy. If it wasn’t for Corey Clement coming back from his knee injury and Sproles returning to Philly this year, Smallwood would still be there. We also have Shaun Wilson who flashed as an UDFA in the preseason.

LT- that’s our most major question mark on the team. Moses is inconsistent bc of mostly penalties but he’ll be here for s few more years and maybe on another contract. I think/hope Scherff will get re-signed, if not, they should franchise him and then get the deal done next March-July.

If Flowers continues to ply like he has week 1 and 2, he needs to be re-signed on like a 3-year deal. Marvelous job by Callahan once again on a rebuild project, so far! I like what we have at center in Roullier, and for depth/the future with Wes Martin and Ross P. If we re-sign both Scherff & Flowers or franchise Scherff, I don’t think we take an interior OL in the draft except maybe late if he’s by far BPA.

DL- I agree we need to draft a depth player in the mid to late rounds behind Allen & Ioannidis. I think we also need to keep Brantley too. Agree on NT, we’re  good there. 

ILB - We need to keep Bostic and continue to develop Holcomb, SDH & LHC - I like them all and their skill sets/speed/smarts in coverage. That being said, like every other position, if an ILB is by far the best player available early in the draft we shouldn’t pass on them just bc we like what we have in house. That’s a dumb reason not to draft the BPA.

OLB - I like what we have with Kerrigan and Sweat. I expect Kerrigan and Sweat to start picking up more sacks bc they won’t be playing two of the best OLs in football for a while.  I like the depth with Anderson and especially McKinzy. But again, if there's an OLB who is by far BPA, we shouldn't pass on them just bc we like our starters.

CB - As most have said, its become a major question mark. Norman needs to be traded or cut next offseason. We don't know enough about Fabs yet - I hope he returns and plays good to great - I like Dunny but he's not been as good so far this year and he keeps getting hurt. I'm thinking he isn't starter worthy, but more a #3 or 4 corner. I like JMFM. I hope Stroman comes back for next year and is healthy and I hope Alexander either steps it up at corner or we can make a safety out of him as .we did with Everett. I think the latter is most likely.

S - I have no concerns tbh. I love Collins, like Nicholson and his potential at FS. I like our depth with Everett and I believe Apke - although raw - is developing just fine. This is essentially his rookie year and he was truly drafted for special teams early in his career. We also have Jeremy Reaves on the practice squad who looked better than Apke and arguably should have made the roster.

All that being said, again if safety is BPA when we are picking and it's a good to great prospect, we shouldn't pass on them.

Edited by turtle28

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s also not a big deal as you’re making it out to be. Again Julio wasn’t top 5 but is arguably the best WR in the NFL 

This is similar to the silly Tom Brady argument. Julio dropping outside of the top 5 has zero affect on Jerry Jeudy, arguably the best player in the entire draft, dropping out of the top 5. It’s not going to happen unless he gets hurt. 

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And the funny part is AJ Green went with the fourth pick in the 2011 draft. So unless there’s an AJ Green in this draft, there isn’t, Jeudy is going top 5. 

I mean probably but it's not a definite, nothing is ever definite in the NFL draft. Acting like a player can't fall in the draft for whatever reason is naive.

Some interesting takeaways from Todd McShay’s first in-season rankings update:

▪️ He has Jeudy at #2, behind only Tua

▪️ He has Chase Young at #5, with concerns about getting off blocks (you do see that, on the 2018 film at least). Says he profiles better as a 4-3 DE, but doesn’t rule out 3-4 OLB

▪️ He has Delpit at #3, which suggests that he could be a real consideration for us. Would make a heck of a combo with Collins, but that would be huge investment in S position

▪️ He has Andrew Thomas as his #2 OT (behind Niang from TCU at #12), and number nineteen overall. Calls him “raw,” says he’ll need work on both hands and footwork

▪️ He’s sticking with Jeff Okudah (OSU CB) at #4, and his top 32 is littered with corners: Fulton from LSU (#9), Henderson from Florida (#11), Adebo from Stanford (#14), Diggs from Alabama (#17), and Hall from UVA (#28)

▪️ No ILBs to be found on his list, which suggests that barring any major emergence, that won’t be a 1st round (top 10) consideration as it’s been the last two years with Roquan and Devin White

▪️ Based on position breakdown, it appears he considers the top end of the draft pool to be strongest at CB (6), WR (4), and edge rusher (5), which seems like good news for us

Bryce Hall, CB from UVA, is a very physical press type corner that knows how to play football.  My only concern with him is top end speed, and he bit on some double moves this past weekend against FSU.  I would say his best nfl comp is probably Josh Norman.  

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Big news for us. We need a second. Depending on where we are, could be a trade down opportunity to still snag Thomas and get a corner/WR/linebacker/TE in the 2nd.

It would be extremely hard for me to trade down if Jeudy, Delpit and Young are available.