2020 Draft thread

lavar703

48 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

But if you pick his good games. They avg 2* recruited talent as a whole. The only game against a decently talented line was PSU and he did do amazing there. Against Clemson. He went against a 5*, but that 5* is only a Sophomore.

AJ. Might not be at the exact level of Chase. But AJ was fantastic his bowl and was lined up against a 1st round LT prospect Austin Jackson.

Jackson Carman can easily be a top 5-10 pick in the NFL draft in a year or two

There was a tweet about this I can no longer find. So let's go with this...

https://www.redskins.com/news/five-things-to-know-redskins-defensive-coordinator-jack-del-rio

When Del Rio joined the Panthers in 2002, one of the first moves the team made was giving him defensive end Julius Peppers by way of the second-overall pick in the NFL Draft. He had 35 total tackles, five forced fumbles and 12 sacks.
Ten years later, Del Rio joined the Broncos as the defensive coordinator and got another great edge rusher with another second-overall pick. This time it was outside linebacker Von Miller, who has been one of the most unstoppable pass rushers since he came into the NFL in 2012. Miller had 11.5 sacks, 64 total tackles and 29 quarterback hits.
Now, as Del Rio becomes a defensive coordinator for the third time in his career, the Redskins are in position to get a top pass rusher with the second-overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Ohio State defensive end Chase Young is claimed by the majority of draft experts to be the best overall prospect in this year's draft class, regardless of position, should he forego his senior year with the Buckeyes. Young finished his junior season with 35 tackles, 16.5 sacks and six forced fumbles.

Yup, that's a trend. 

Edited by Skinsin2013
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Haskins need to stay off of social media. The character flaws (small ones that add up) concern me. Mainly immaturity. 

Dude, come on. He’s a 22-year old lol. Of course he has Twitter. Don’t be a Thom Loverro. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Dude, come on. He’s a 22-year old lol. Of course he has Twitter. Don’t be a Thom Loverro. 

Cool. Be on Twitter. But doesn't Rivera want everyone on the same page? Doesn't he want Haskins to be a leader? These are all things I heard in his presser. 

So getting out ahead of the front office on their first pick probably isn't a good start with the new head coach.

Loverro is awesome. 

There is no doubt in.my mind that if Chase Young is available to us with the 2nd pick that Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio will take Chase Young. They're going to want their next Julius Peppers/Kahlil Mack. It's not even a discussion of trading back anymore.

Also, Ron has already talked to Trent and I expect more discussions to happen. It sounds as if Trent wants to return if he gets a new deal, and I expect that Ron will want Eric Schafer to negotiate a new deal with Trent, so the takes trading Trent Williams for draft capital out of this draft. Ron is a football person, and he's not going to want to trade away Trent - the Redskins best offensive player and Blindside protector of Haskins - unless Trent asks for it.

I expect that the hiring of Rivera could spell another year for Josh Norman in DC, hopefully with a restructured contract that lowers his cap number. The fact that Josh had such glowing things to say about Ron though tells me that Josh is actually happy now, will be excited to play football again and be excited to play for Rivera. That means that he’ll be engaged, do his job and play to best of his abilities bc he knows if he doesn't Ron will cut him.

I expect that we’ll finally sign Tre Boston to be our starting FS. Something many in this forum have clamored for for at least 2 years - if not as many as 4 - as Tre has gone from team to team lately on relatively cheap contracts.

So, here goes my Redskins offseason now that Ron Rivera is our HC:

Retirement: I EXPECT JORDAN REED TO BE CUT & RETIRE. I don’t know what that means for Jordan’s cap hit, someone like Woz or Thai will have to explain that. If he's cut though we save about $11 million in cap space.

Cuts:

Paul Richardson will be cut - His deal has a two-year out and the Redskins should exercise that. His two-year stint went as many had predicted when we signed him but not as well as I had hoped by a long shot.

Re-sign/franchise: 

Trent Williams - I expect a contract extension for Trent with new guaranteed money making him the highest paid LT in the NFL. Some fans will be upset with this and call it an overpay, which is fair. But we have the cap space and Bruce Allen is gone folks! Also, a LJ extension should lower Trent’s cap hit for this year which will open up space to sign other free agents. With Bruce now gone, there will be no more nickel and dimming free agents that the coach wants - especially not the Redskins best free agents. Expect less young talent leaving DC that Ron/Jack etc have developed and more of our own being re-signed to second contracts if they’ve earned them.

Brandon Scherff - I think Ron Rivera, Eric Schafer and Kyle Smith will want to keep Scherff long term but based off of last years play they won’t want to make Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL. So, they won’t be able to work out a Zack Martin type of contract for Scherff and he will be franchised. That’s fine with me. While Scherff did have a down season, some of it - probably all of it - can be explained away bc of his rotator cuff injury which required surgery and his ankle/knee injury he suffered as well. The truth though is that if Scherff wants to be the highest paid guard in the NFL, he’s going to have to play like it next year otherwise, he should be let go in 2021 and in 2022 we can recoup our 3rd round comp pick when he signs somewhere else.

Josh Norman - I expect that Ron will want him back next year but will want to lower his cap number so we can have cap space to sign other players. So, I expect a re-structure which will turn into a new 3 year deal but will lower Norman’s cap hit by nearly half for this year. 

Ereck Flowers - I expect Flowers will be re-signed to a new deal but it won’t be anything crazy. Maybe like 3 years $15 million with his cap hit being around what it was this year.

Jon Bostic - I expect that Ron & Jack will like what they saw on film from Bostic last year enough to retain him to compete to be the starting MLB with Reuben Foster - who hopefully will be healthy - and Cole Holcomb. The deal won’t be big, but could be a bit more than what he signed for last year. They also will like Bostic’s knowledge and veteran leadership on this young defense. I’ll be shocked if he’s not kept for at least one season.

Chris Thompson - I know a lot of people want to move on, but we have a lot of question marks with our young RBs and their knees. There's no doubt CT has been injury-prone throughout his career but he did have 42 receptions in 11 games last year and he's someone we can rely on in that role and as a change of pace. I think Ron will want to keep him as our 3rd down back and change of pace back. I don't expect the deal to be huge - similar to what he currently has - 2 year $7 million contract. 

Case Keenum - He definitely wants to start, but I don't think he will find that opportunity or a better opportunity to start - should Haskins take steps back - then being in DC. So, after shopping around, I expect him to re-sign in DC.

Free Agents:

Kendall Fuller - I expect that Schafer, Doug Williams and Kyle Smith will show Ron and Jack film from Kendall Fuller’s 2017 season on film when he was on the slot and Fuller will be re-signed to be our starting slot corner for next year.

Tre’ Boston - As I said above, most Redskins fans have wanted to sign him to be our FS for at least the last two offseasons - if not as many as 4 - he was in Carolina last year, we need an upgrade at FS and I expect that we’ll sign him to a 3 year deal that’s rather reasonable.

Eric Reid - Two things here. One, with this signing, it will signal a change in position for Landon Collins to weakside linebacker. Like what Ron did with Shaq Thompson, he will see more potential in Landon as a LB playing closer to the line of scrimmage ever play and covering TEs off the line of scrimmage and RBs in the flat rather then TEs and WRs down the field. 

Also, I expect that Eric Reid will be cut in Carolina despite coming off a 130 tackle 4 sack season because his cap hit next year is $8 million and the Panthers have an out after last season to cut him.

Austin Hopper - Seeing that he has had no contact from the Falcons about a contract extension yet and Rivera had to play against him twice a year for the last 4 years, I expect Ron will want him signed to replace Jordan Reed as our starting TE. This signing makes too much sense.

2020 NFL DRAFT:

Round 1: Chase Young, DE, OSU

Round 3: Malik Harrison, MLB, OSU

Round 4: Jacob Eason, QB, Washington 

Round 5: Nico Collins, WR, Michigan 

Round 7:  Damien Lewis, OG, LSU

Round 7: Michael Warren, RB, Cincinnati 

2020 ROSTER:

QB: Dwayne Haskins, Case Keenum, Jacob Eason

RB: Adrian Peterson, Derrius Guice, Chris Thompson, Bryce Love

FB: Michael Burton

LT: TWill, Gerron Christian 

LG: Ereck Flowers, Damien Lewis

C: Chase Roullier, Ross P

RG: Brandon Scherff, Wes Martin

RT: Morgan Moses

TE: Austin Hopper, Sprinkle, Hentges

WR: McLaurin, Nico Collins

WR: Harmon, Cam Sims 

Slot: Steven Sims, Jr., Trey Quinn

DE: Chase Young, Montez Sweat

DT: Ioannidis, Jon Allen (rotates at DT on pass downs)

NT: Payne, Tim Settle

DE: Jon Allen (run downs), Ryan Kerrigan (he, Young and Sweat rotate on pass downs/nickel D which is 2/3 of the game)

WLB: Landon Collins, SDH

MLB: Jon Bostic, Malik Harrison

SLB: Reuben Foster, Cole Holcomb, Ryan Anderson

CB: Josh Norman, Fabian Moreau

CB: Quinton Dunbar, Jimmy Moreland

Slot: Kendall Fuller

SS: Eric Reid, Deshazor Everett 

FS: Tre Boston, Troy Apke

K: Dustin Hopkins

P: Tress Way

LS: Nick Sundberg

KR: Steven Sims, Jr.

PR: Steven Sims, Jr. 

Edited by turtle28

37 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Cool. Be on Twitter. But doesn't Rivera want everyone on the same page? Doesn't he want Haskins to be a leader? These are all things I heard in his presser. 

So getting out ahead of the front office on their first pick probably isn't a good start with the new head coach.

Loverro is awesome. 

Players do that all the time now. This isn't the 1970’s, it doesn't mean anything. Players are on social media a lot, especially the young ones. Coaches & front office people pay attention to what they say and make sure they're not doing anything horrible on social media but a tweet like Dwayne had about wanting Chase Young this or last year wanting Terry McLaurin or Parris Campbell are mostly ignored. If it's a problem for Ron, he will talk to him about it and fix the problem, I have no doubt about that.

And Loverro sucks. I hate everything about him from is high squealy voice to his awful over reactionary opinions. I can't listen to him and I rarely pay attention to what he writes.

Loverro wanted Colt McCoy to start over Kirk Cousins and has been on that train since 2014 & 15 for being the answer for the Redskins at QB.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Loverro is awesome. 

Is Baker Mayfield a leader? Why are you attacking Haskins so much? Rivera worked with a young Cam Newton so there is no doubt in my mind he will be able to do the samething with Haskins!! Stop the hate seriously. You showing your true color!

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1