2020 Draft thread

lavar703

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Oh. I guess I misunderstood when you started talking about Rivera watching film on Richardson and his contract is what his value was.

I guess we're in agreement to cut him and recoup the $2.3M in cap savings then?

Yes where in agreement. I might have type the wrong wording by mistake. 

We have the number 2 pick. Which Star Defensive End do we take?

Player 1.             Player 2.

Height.        6-4.                     6-5
Weight.       258.                    265
Speed.        4.54.                   4.65
Sacks/game  1.12                1.18
S. Tackles/Gm  2.5.               2.3
All American  Yes.                  Yes 
School.         Ohio St.         Ohio St.

Yeah it’s a little but of a trick question to illustrate that the draft is not a sure thing.  Player 1 who was chosen with the 6th pick in the first round or Player 2 in this years draft. Player 1 was a sure fire, no brainer, game changer etc.. and any other cliche you can think of and was an All time bust. 

player 1- Vernon Gholston

player 2- Chase Young 

Edited by Doc Draper

Some guys Ive watched over a few years who think we can draft and will help us- didn’t receive a lot of press, hype or accolades, but good prospects at positions of need. 

Center- Tyler Biadasz- 6-3, 325-Wisconsin. Our current center is at best- ok, but may be better at guard. We need to upgrade if we can. He has started getting some recognition but he should be there in the fourth round. 

TE- Colby Parkinson. 6-7, 255-Stanford. The perfect draft pick for a Rivera team is a big dual threat pass catching and run blocking TE at a big position of need. How long has it been since we’ve had a TE that can block and still be a receiving threat? 

Tackle- Colton McKivitz-6-6, 315 ( with room to grow)-West Virginia-mean SOB who we can get very late in draft as a developmental RT prospect. He walks, looks and plays like a former Louisville OT we had- Joe Jacoby. He needs coaching and time but he’s got a chance to be the kind of smash your head into the ground on every play disposition I want in my RT.

Weakside OLB- Cam Brown-6-5,217 Penn State. Watching him reminds me of watching a young Monte Coleman. He can bulk it a bit, has pass coverage skills and can cover both a TE and RB-  something we haven’t had in a decade.

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Not a whole lot of tape for Rivera to watch (17 games, 10 starts); 77 targets, 48 catches

*shrugs* His call I suppose.

Let's be clear that ”targets” aren't all catchable passes. We all know that our WRs weren't the best - outside of McLaurin - and at times at the end of the year, Steven Sims and Harmon too. But, all of our QBs were widely inaccurate for most of the year as well. The fact that Richardson was targeted 77 times and only had 48 receptions - with maybe 3 drops on the season - is as much an indictment of poor QB play then it is of poor WR play.

Even so, 48/77 is a 62% catch rate, that's not awful either.

The problem with Richardson is he can’t say on the field for much more than half a season, Terry McLaurin surpassed him for the reason we signed Rich - to replace DJax as a our intermediate to deep WR - and we are paying PRICH to be a number one WR -at worst a 1b - which he is not. 

Those are the reasons he should be gone, not bc the QBs can't throw him catchable passes.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

We have the number 2 pick. Which Star Defensive End do we take?

Player 1.             Player 2.

Height.        6-4.                     6-5
Weight.       258.                    265
Speed.        4.54.                   4.65
Sacks/game  1.12                1.18
S. Tackles/Gm  2.5.               2.3
All American  Yes.                  Yes 
School.         Ohio St.         Ohio St.

Yeah it’s a little but of a trick question to illustrate that the draft is not a sure thing.  Player 1 who was chosen with the 6th pick in the first round or Player 2 in this years draft. Player 1 was a sure fire, no brainer, game changer etc.. and any other cliche you can think of and was an All time bust. 

player 1- Vernon Gholston

player 2- Chase Young 

Player 1 (Vernon Gholston) was not a sure fire game changer, if you watched the film of his career at OSU you would see a guy with great athletic ability for his size but someone who needed a lot more development as a pass rusher and football player.

We don't know what Chase Young will run at the combine or his pro day yet. Also, this is why the tape matters more than the underwear Olympics.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Some guys Ive watched over a few years who think we can draft and will help us- didn’t receive a lot of press, hype or accolades, but good prospects at positions of need. 

Center- Tyler Biadasz- 6-3, 325-Wisconsin. Our current center is at best- ok, but may be better at guard. We need to upgrade if we can. He has started getting some recognition but he should be there in the fourth round. 

TE- Colby Parkinson. 6-7, 255-Stanford. The perfect draft pick for a Rivera team is a big dual threat pass catching and run blocking TE at a big position of need. How long has it been since we’ve had a TE that can block and still be a receiving threat? 

Tackle- Colton McKivitz-6-6, 315 ( with room to grow)-West Virginia-mean SOB who we can get very late in draft as a developmental RT prospect. He walks, looks and plays like a former Louisville OT we had- Joe Jacoby. He needs coaching and time but he’s got a chance to be the kind of smash your head into the ground on every play disposition I want in my RT.

Weakside OLB- Cam Brown-6-5,217 Penn State. Watching him reminds me of watching a young Monte Coleman. He can bulk it a bit, has pass coverage skills and can cover both a TE and RB-  something we haven’t had in a decade.

Chase Roullier is worse at guard. They tried him at guard a few years ago when we had a lot of injuries and he was abused their bc of size/strength. Guard is a more physically demanding position then center is. Centers usually are able to be the one who can double team DTs in the passing game or running game. Roullier isn't the greatest player, but is center a need more than other positions? I think the clear answer is no. Not only do we have Roullier but we have Ross P from Alabama who we drafted last year.

Agreed on the rest of your points, I'd love to have any of those players.

Edited by turtle28

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Player 1 (Vernon Gholston) was not a sure fire game changer, if you watched the film of his career at OSU you would see a guy with great athletic ability for his size but someone who needed a lot more development as a pass rusher and football player.

We don't know what Chase Young will run at the combine or his pro day yet. Also, this is why the tape matters more than the underwear Olympics.

I was about to say never In my notes did I have a sure fire grade on Ghoston. I actually thought he was a huge gamble in a pretty decent class

4 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I was about to say never In my notes did I have a sure fire grade on Ghoston. I actually thought he was a huge gamble in a pretty decent class

Honestly, a talking head may have said that during the draft Process but it wasn't the majority of opinion. If Gholston was the football player that Young is, he would have went top 3 in the draft. 

I think Doc is embellishing and it seems the only reason he's doing it is to knock Case Young down by comparing him to Gholston - a worse actual football player, which is what matters - which is beyond ridiculous! 

20 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Is Baker Mayfield a leader? Why are you attacking Haskins so much? Rivera worked with a young Cam Newton so there is no doubt in my mind he will be able to do the samething with Haskins!! Stop the hate seriously. You showing your true color!

Mayfield isn't a leader. He's an immature jock. And that will hold him back more than anything. Does that fit your narrative?

Where am I attacking Haskins "so much?"

Sensitive???

Again, be on Twitter. But even the coach said he wants Haskins to be a leader. If he thought he was already, he would have complemented him on his leadership abilities. Urban Meyer shared similar concerns about Haskins. Go whine to him too. Tell him he's showing his true color.  O.o

Edited by Skinsin2013

18 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

What did Griffin do off the field that said he lacked maturity? On the field the only thing people can say negative about Griffin is he didn't read coverages as well as other QB's, he didn't slide, and asked to be taken out of a system that benifited him best. 

OMG.  :/

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Honestly, a talking head may have said that during the draft Process but it wasn't the majority of opinion. If Gholston was the football player that Young is, he would have went top 3 in the draft. 

I think Doc is embellishing and it seems the only reason he's doing it is to knock Case Young down by comparing him to Gholston - a worse actual football player, which is what matters - which is beyond ridiculous! 

I mean draft season is the season of finding flaws in players. Plus no matter what there is going to be one report finding something on Chase. Someone always wants to be the one to tell the masses they aren’t correct. When in reality Chase could come here and shut it down, get hurt or just pull a Josh Doctson. But you never know for sure and the talent and floor is way too high to pass up

• Like 2

I think Chase Young is an awesome prospect. Size, production etc.. and if he is there at 2 you happily pick him. But trading up to 1? Penciling him in as high quality day 1 starter? I think it’s too much to ask. His hame against Clemson concerned me. I watched it again. He held up well in run defense for the most part, but was wildly rushing the passer running past him and leaving huge gaps. Coaching can correct that and he’s my number 2 pick but,

1. If Miami offered me a boatload of picks I’d really have to consider it. It would have to be Bobby Griffin type of haul 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

I think Chase Young is an awesome prospect. Size, production etc.. and if he is there at 2 you happily pick him. But trading up to 1? Penciling him in as high quality day 1 starter? I think it’s too much to ask. His hame against Clemson concerned me. I watched it again. He held up well in run defense for the most part, but was wildly rushing the passer running past him and leaving huge gaps. Coaching can correct that and he’s my number 2 pick but,

1. If Miami offered me a boatload of picks I’d really have to consider it. It would have to be Bobby Griffin type of haul 

Watch the film, Clemson game planned to take him out of the game by running zone read and QB draws most of the game and when Clemson did pass the went quick game, play action/zone read play action fakes and doubled him. If the rest of Ohio State’s defense would’ve tackled Lawrence  on QB draws, OSU would’ve won.

Also, it’s very short sided to not draft someone off of a few games where he didn’t have a lot of stats bc the offense gameplanned to stop him and built their whole offense around that. That shows you how important and special he is when a team does that to just stop one player on defense.

Edited by turtle28