2020 Draft thread

lavar703

Personally, I would rather stay @#2 & draft Chase Young & trade Trent Williams & other players not part of the future for draft picks. (Even if their only day 2 or day 3 picks)

And build our roster with youth & blue Chip talent, plus find possible gems in the later rounds.

Than to trade down for a haul, keep Trent Williams who doesn't want to be here.

And hoping the players lower down the draft board are truly good & have a LT only here for the money.

The only way I'm ok with keeping Trent here?

Is if his value is only a 3rd Rd pick at best. (What you would get for him, if he was a FA)

Otherwise, let's see what we can get for him & possibly find his replacement among other drafted prospects.

I really like Isaiah Simmons, I think he's a super-impactful player and I do think we have a place for him in our defense as a WLB. If Shaq Thompson can earn a $13M contract in that position for Rivera, I think Simmons can be a star.

But to me, that's one of those positions where you can find a quality player later in the draft. Undersized, athletic college LBs -- guys like Thompson or Lavonte David or KJ Wright or Telvin Smith -- are available on Day 2 or even later.  And they're really good football players, they just don't fit well into many schemes/rosters. Guys like Dele Harding (Illinois) or Akeem Davis-Gaither (App State), for example, are terrific athletes but also are somewhat limited in terms of the role they can play by their limited size.

For me, I'd rather go for a premium position (LT or pass-rusher or CB or even WR) in the top 5 and circle back to WLB in a later round if there's a good fit.

• Like 3

My personal & ideal draft would be..

1st Rd #2=DE Chase Young (Ohio St)

3rd Rd #2=WR K.J. Hill (Ohio St)

4th Rd #2=FS Josh Metellus (Michigan)

5th Rd #2=RB J.J. Taylor (Arizona)

7th Rd #2=TE Jared Rice (Fresno St)

7th Rd #15=WR Lee Morris (Oklahoma)

This is without any trades or compensatory picks.

17 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

That's probably fine. I probably wouldn't double dip at WR. I would also assume Trent, Scherff, and Erik are back. We signed a linebacker or two in FA. Corners plural too.

4 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I wouldnt take any of these TEs. I dont think even the best will amount to much more than Sprinkle. Switch that with a Tackle/Guard/CB to develop. And Id be happy with our draft.

I think it’s a very smart move for Thadeus Moss to enter the draft due to possible injury, weak TE Class and no Joe Burrow/Joe Brady! Don’t know where he falls on a big board but wonder if we would be interested and if he would be there at the top of the third round. 

29 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I think it’s a very smart move for Thadeus Moss to enter the draft due to possible injury, weak TE Class and no Joe Burrow/Joe Brady! Don’t know where he falls on a big board but wonder if we would be interested and if he would be there at the top of the third round. 

I have no clue on him myself. My first thought is hes kinda slow and needs time to work to get open. But seeing him live against Clemson using 6-7 DBs to counter Burrows he seemed to be finding some open space pretty regular.

Guess Id take the Harmon approach with him. If hes there late in the draft. Grab him and see whats up. But I wouldnt toss our 3rd or 4th at him. And maybe not the 5th but Ill decide that after the combine.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

For me, it is essential in EVERY Draft to look for someone to develop on the OL.  I would be saying the same thing for DL but we are getting a monster is young under your scenario.

Now with Tua expected to be fully healthy and if the doctors also give him the thumbs up come draft time, to you think the Dolphins would be interested at the number 2 pick to ensure they get him?  And if yes should we entertain it since most likely we lose Chase?  What if they give us all their first-round picks and their 3rd?  That could be tempting.  

Edited by TheGreeK1973
adding an additional question.

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

For me, it is essential in EVERY Draft to look for someone to develop on the OL.  I would be saying the same thing for DL but we are getting a monster is young under your scenario.

Now with Tua expected to be fully healthy and if the doctors also give him the thumbs up come draft time, to you think the Dolphins would be interested at the number 2 pick to ensure they get him?  And if yes should we entertain it since most likely we lose Chase?  What if they give us all their first-round picks and their 3rd?  That could be tempting.  

I don’t think a team is giving up 3 firsts!! If they are I mean I still don’t make the trade!!! I don’t want to pick Bejing the Giants. I also don’t want to lose Chase even though Simmons is probably my favorite prospect. I’d prefer to just take our gift in Chase and let them deal with Detroit or NY. But I just can’t see them parting with those picks.

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

It would be hard to pass up trading down from #2 to net Dolphins #5, #18, #26 & an additional 3rd.

As good as Chase is, he's still just 1 guy & nobody can predict a person's future with too many variables. (Injuries, bust, arrests, drugs, suspensions, etc)

If we were truly offered that, I would take it as I grit my teeth knowing I won't get Chase. (And hoping the Lions get him, so the Giants don't)

#5 could land us LT Andrew Thomas, FS/OLB Isaiah Simmons or CB Jeffrey Okudah.

#18 could land us OT Tristan Wirfs, FS Grant Delpit, or DE/OLB AJ Apenesa.

& #26 could land us WR Tee Higgins, CB Trevon Diggs or OC Tyler Badass

Not to mention getting an additional 3rd to boot.

I would imagine us trading down with the #18 or #26 to pick up additional draft choices as well.

I mean, we could get a complete roster overhaul with this trade. An injection of talent & youth in 1 draft.

So would I do it? Yes, I would.

• Like 1

Think most likely thing to happen if someone falls in love with Tua before the draft would be a 3 team deal with Lions where we get 3 and a mid late round pick and lions get multiple Pick from whoever trades up,or they wait til draft day and just trade Lions.

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

Think most likely thing to happen if someone falls in love with Tua before the draft would be a 3 team deal with Lions where we get 3 and a mid late round pick and lions get multiple Pick from whoever trades up,or they wait til draft day and just trade Lions.

I think there are a lot of teams who were in love with Tua 2 months ago who are now wrestling with these feelings.  He is definitely going to be the biggest wild card in the draft.  

On 1/17/2020 at 10:21 AM, e16bball said:

I really like Isaiah Simmons, I think he's a super-impactful player and I do think we have a place for him in our defense as a WLB. If Shaq Thompson can earn a $13M contract in that position for Rivera, I think Simmons can be a star.

But to me, that's one of those positions where you can find a quality player later in the draft. Undersized, athletic college LBs -- guys like Thompson or Lavonte David or KJ Wright or Telvin Smith -- are available on Day 2 or even later.  And they're really good football players, they just don't fit well into many schemes/rosters. Guys like Dele Harding (Illinois) or Akeem Davis-Gaither (App State), for example, are terrific athletes but also are somewhat limited in terms of the role they can play by their limited size.

For me, I'd rather go for a premium position (LT or pass-rusher or CB or even WR) in the top 5 and circle back to WLB in a later round if there's a good fit.

I agree with this pretty much.But I believe if we are not picking Young,going with the theory that the bengals are 100% going to draft Burrow.Then we should be trading out of #2 for more early draft capital.I want Jeudy and he can be had a few picks later most likely.Cant pass on Young ,he makes the DBs job much easier,but if they trade out I wont be mad.