Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Not to argue your point but 6 sacks a year isn’t very impressive. However it’s now becoming quite clear this wasn’t an indictment of Preston Smith, more so Manusky. 

Right.  Anyone trying to argue Preston Smith deserved a contract extension based on his play with the Redskins is just trying to change the narrative after the fact now that’s he’s playing well for the Packers.  He made little impact his first 3 seasons and then had an absolutely abysmal season last year which was his contract year.  Based on the performance on the field we absolutely were justified letting him walk with what we knew at the time.

Now we know more.  I think everyone knew our coaching staff was garbage but now it’s plain as day that a guy like Smith is performing the way he is for another team.  It’s beyond just scheme, I don’t think Smith exerted the effort on the field with us that he is doing for the Packers, which is kind of shocking when you consider he was in a contract year last year vs. his situation now where he’s already gotten paid.  That shows you how toxic our organization is, that “damn good” culture is broken.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

But isn’t that the point? Nobody, with maybe the exception of @turtle28considered Smith a top-tier pass rusher while here. He definitely underachieved and most didn’t think it was a big deal to let him go. Now that he’s exploding in Green Bay and back here Sweat is experiencing some of the same issues Preston experienced you start questioning the coaching staff.

I mean if it’s a one-off situation with a talented guy then you chalk it up to just underachieving but now that it’s two plus Ryan Anderson as well you have to start wondering about the coaching they’re getting. It’s also why it’s imperative this staff is gone if we end up with Chase Young. We can’t have them wasting a talent like that having him cover backs and TEs. 

Again, he's rushing on the left side now, it's less resistance to the QB going against RTs I can't even name 6 times a year except for Bulaga vs when he was in DC and at ROLB (not bc of Manusky but bc we had Ryan Kerrigan at LOLB) and in DC he had to face Tyron Smith, Peters and Solder 6 times a year.

Also, I don't think anyone knows in this forum whether PSmith is dropping into coverage as much as he did in DC or not - which wasn't more than 30% of his snaps - now that he's in Green Bay.

Everyone here is guessing that Psmith is not dropping into coverage in Greenbay 5 or so plays a game like he was while in DC. Until someone can show an analysis that shows PSmith is almost never or never dropping into coverage, I'll continue to point out that Green Bay runs the same defense we do and PSmith does drop into coverage some depending on the formation the offense is in.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Right.  Anyone trying to argue Preston Smith deserved a contract extension based on his play with the Redskins is just trying to change the narrative after the fact now that’s he’s playing well for the Packers.  He made little impact his first 3 seasons and then had an absolutely abysmal season last year which was his contract year.  Based on the performance on the field we absolutely were justified letting him walk with what we knew at the time.

Now we know more.  I think everyone knew our coaching staff was garbage but now it’s plain as day that a guy like Smith is performing the way he is for another team.  It’s beyond just scheme, I don’t think Smith exerted the effort on the field with us that he is doing for the Packers, which is kind of shocking when you consider he was in a contract year last year vs. his situation now where he’s already gotten paid.  That shows you how toxic our organization is, that “damn good” culture is broken.  

Lol 😆 OK, can't even give me props even though now you block my posts!

The truth is just as I've stated this entire thread & ones from before, he's the same player being used in the same scheme, he's just facing lesser competition then when he was at ROLB in the NFC East.

We should have kept him and while it was harder to make the case for Crowder bc of injury; we should have kept him too. We didn't even use the cap space we could have used to retain PSmith and Crowder on other players last season. They got paid a lot, but at the same time if we had re-signed them we could have kept our 2nd round pick next year instead of trading up to take Sweat and we could have drafted Greedy Williams in round 2 or an OL, TE, ILB or a WR like Holdman or Paris Campbell.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Not to argue your point but 6 sacks a year isn’t very impressive. However it’s now becoming quite clear this wasn’t an indictment of Preston Smith, more so Manusky. 

His sack total is his fault or Barry/Manusky from your point of view? 

Edited by Skins212689

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

When the coach is the reason the player isn't reaching his highest potential, if your not gonna resign the player DON'T KEEP THE COACH ETHIER. Smith is clearly showing the Packers he is worth whay they paid for him. His play in Greenbay should show you his play here was more reflective of bad coaching oppose to his TALENT. Once again 24.5 sacks in 4 years isn't Bum material especially when it's more on the coaching staff Your numbers aren't better. He just like us Fans deserve Competent coaches who can put the player's in the best positon on the field to Win. He got that in Greenbay.

Edited by Skins212689

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

His sack total is his fault or Barry/Manusky from your point of view? 

Combination IMO. It’s a pass rusher responsibly to win his one on one battle vs a blocker and get to the QB. PSmith got pressures & hits - he led the team - but didn't always get home and get sacks.

That being said, defensive coordinators can move pass rushers around from their base spot to rush from the opposite side or even as a stand-up LB over the center too.

It's definitely true that Barry & Manusky didn't blitz enough, and don't do enough exotic looks to confuse blocking schemes. If they did more of that with Smith like the best defensive coordinators do, he’d probably have had more sacks in DC.  

Another thing that sucks is that not only did Jay pass on Wade Phillips, but he also passed on the GB defensive coordinator Mike Pettine in 2017 when he gave Manusky the job.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Combination IMO. It’s a pass rusher responsibly to win his one on one battle vs a blocker and get to the QB. PSmith got pressures & hits - he led the team - but didn't always get home and get sacks.

That being said, defensive coordinators can move pass rushers around from their base spot to rush from the opposite side or even as a stand-up LB over the center too.

It's definitely true that Barry & Manusky didn't blitz enough, and don't do enough exotic looks to confuse blocking schemes. If they did more of that with Smith like the best defensive coordinators do, he’d probably have had more sacks in DC.  

Another thing that sucks is that not only did Jay pass on Wade Phillips, but he also passed on the GB defensive coordinator Mike Pettine in 2017 when he gave Manusky the job.

If your not gonna resign the player don't keep the coach ETHIER. Alot here seem to know the Redskins organization sucks and have alot of coaches who don't know how to put player's in the best position to Win but consistently blame the player's. Like those who agreed with what Sweariger was saying but than agreed the Redskins were right in releasing him. That type of nonsense is what has me on here alot less. This Smith and Sweat young situation is similar and I doubt it would change if they draft Young but keep the same Coaches. 

19 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If your not gonna resign the player don't keep the coach ETHIER. Alot here seem to know the Redskins organization sucks and have alot of coaches who don't know how to put player's in the best position to Win but consistently blame the player's. Like those who agreed with what Sweariger was saying but than agreed the Redskins were right in releasing him. That type of nonsense is what has me on here alot less. This Smith and Sweat young situation is similar and I doubt it would change if they draft Young but keep the same Coaches. 

What would you suggest they do with Sweat or would have done with PSmith that they currently aren't doing on defense?

Edited by turtle28

28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

More disguised looks showing blitz (even if you don't actually blitz)... much more.  Green Bay leads the league in this.

See now that I agree with. Good answer! Why the eff did Jay pass on Pettine also? It's bad enough he passed on Wade Phillips and made him look like an idiot in the process but then to chose Manusky over Pettine too is a big reason this team couldn't get over the mediocre hump from 2015 through last year.

Edited by turtle28