Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

49 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What would you suggest they do with Sweat or would have done with PSmith that they currently aren't doing on defense?

Find a different defensive coordinator! Find a coordinator that play's to the player's strength, not one whose just a scheme coach. 

Edited by Skins212689

32 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

More disguised looks showing blitz (even if you don't actually blitz)... much more.  Green Bay leads the league in this.

Greenbay knew they had to help Rodgers and went out and did just that. Found a DC and added player's who would make plays in his defense. 

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Right.  Anyone trying to argue Preston Smith deserved a contract extension based on his play with the Redskins is just trying to change the narrative after the fact now that’s he’s playing well for the Packers.  He made little impact his first 3 seasons and then had an absolutely abysmal season last year which was his contract year.  Based on the performance on the field we absolutely were justified letting him walk with what we knew at the time.

Now we know more.  I think everyone knew our coaching staff was garbage but now it’s plain as day that a guy like Smith is performing the way he is for another team.  It’s beyond just scheme, I don’t think Smith exerted the effort on the field with us that he is doing for the Packers, which is kind of shocking when you consider he was in a contract year last year vs. his situation now where he’s already gotten paid.  That shows you how toxic our organization is, that “damn good” culture is broken.  

Alot of players don't exert the same effort for Bad Coaches that they would for good ones. These guys are human just like you. Just like how you don't respond to posters you don't respect or whatever here compared to the one's you do. You contradict yourself alot. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

See now that I agree with. Good answer! Why the eff did Jay pass on Pettine also? It's bad enough he passed on Wade Phillips and made him look like an idiot in the process but then to chose Manusky over Pettine too is a big reason this team couldn't get over the mediocre hump from 2015 through last year.

Yet you still where a Jay guy even with him making dumb decisons like that.

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I was for Jay bc I didn’t think Dan & Bruce could do better. 

How is a bum coach gonna help the player's? Like if Manusky got his hands on Smith, Sweat, and possibly Young. How can you judge their play under Manusky leadership? 

Edited by Skins212689

42 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

How is a bum coach gonna help the player's? Like if Manusky got his hands on Smith, Sweat, and possibly Young. How can you judge their play under Manusky leadership? 

Moving the goal post again? You asked about Jay. As far as Manusky goes, I think he could do better. I liked the game he called vs the Lions, but I wonder where that was for most of his other games since he was given the def coordinator job. 

Young has more god given ability than any pass rusher I can remember coming into a draft - maybe since Lawrence Taylor. A coach can always scheme up some stuff to help him, but he’s a double digit sack guy in any D no matter who the coach is.

Sweat has speed, but he has to develop more pass rush moves and get better with his hands while rushing. Now obviously, better coaching will help him.

Smith plays a different side of the line now. It’s easier to put up stats vs worse blockers, just ask Ryan Kerrigan who has feasted against slower and less talented RTs his entire career. Which is fine - sacks are sacks, no matter where they come from, they all count the same - but, comparing rushing against a good to elite pass blocker at LT vs rushing against at best a good pas rusher but mostly average or worse pass rushers at RT your entire career should and has produced a lot of sacks for Kerrigan in his career.

I mean, Manusky hasn’t slowed down Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Dunny or Holcomb’s development, has he?

Moreau looked good in Manusky’s D last week when he was put back outside didn’t he?

Coaches can prepare players, but it’s up to the players to execute the game plan the coaches put together.

As Lavar or Thai said, the first week Norman doesn’t play on D and all of a sudden our communication in the secondary is fixed?

Hmm... seems like Norman was the issue there and not always the coaching.  This was probably true for the past 3 years, Swearinger said as much in interviews as Norman missed assignments & it was pointed out on film too.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Alot of players don't exert the same effort for Bad Coaches that they would for good ones. These guys are human just like you. Just like how you don't respond to posters you don't respect or whatever here compared to the one's you do. You contradict yourself alot. 

That’s not an excuse anyone should accept. If your a pro player you better play with max effort, follow assignments and do your job or you’ll find yourself benched like Norman or cut like Swearinger last year.

These players better put good tape on film every time there out there bc it’s a privilege to play in the NFL and there are only 32 teams to play for. Better put good film out there for those 31 other teams.

That’s not an excuse anyone should accept. If your a pro player you better play with max effort, follow assignments and do your job or you’ll find yourself benched like Norman or cut like Swearinger last year.

These players better put good tape on film every time there out there bc it’s a privilege to play in the NFL and there are only 32 teams to play for. Better put good film out there for those 31 other teams.

Josh Norman and Sweariger are two different situations. Josh was a hard worker/great perfomer than it went away once he got his money. Sweariger still was playing at a high level but was cut for calling out a BuM COACH. Yet it's fair to call ETHIER of them bums because of their play in your mind when they didn't even have a Competent Manager. Makes no sense to me. 

Your being hypocritical. 

Edited by Skins212689

Moving the goal post again? You asked about Jay. As far as Manusky goes, I think he could do better. I liked the game he called vs the Lions, but I wonder where that was for most of his other games since he was given the def coordinator job. 

Young has more god given ability than any pass rusher I can remember coming into a draft - maybe since Lawrence Taylor. A coach can always scheme up some stuff to help him, but he’s a double digit sack guy in any D no matter who the coach is.

Sweat has speed, but he has to develop more pass rush moves and get better with his hands while rushing. Now obviously, better coaching will help him.

Smith plays a different side of the line now. It’s easier to put up stats vs worse blockers, just ask Ryan Kerrigan who has feasted against slower and less talented RTs his entire career. Which is fine - sacks are sacks, no matter where they come from, they all count the same - but, comparing rushing against a good to elite pass blocker at LT vs rushing against at best a good pas rusher but mostly average or worse pass rushers at RT your entire career should and has produced a lot of sacks for Kerrigan in his career.

I mean, Manusky hasn’t slowed down Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Dunny or Holcomb’s development, has he?

Moreau looked good in Manusky’s D last week when he was put back outside didn’t he?

Coaches can prepare players, but it’s up to the players to execute the game plan the coaches put together.

As Lavar or Thai said, the first week Norman doesn’t play on D and all of a sudden our communication in the secondary is fixed?

Hmm... seems like Norman was the issue there and not always the coaching.  This was probably true for the past 3 years, Swearinger said as much in interviews as Norman missed assignments & it was pointed out on film too.

Sticking to Jay than, he helped the offensive passing game. That's it! 

Norman stop playing hard once he got his money and got put on a team that allowed it's top paid players to be mediocre.

Edited by Skins212689

6 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Josh Norman and Sweariger are two different situations. Josh was a hard worker/great perfomer than it went away once he got his money. Sweariger still was playing at a high level but was cut for calling out a BuM COACH. Yet it's fair to call ETHIER of them bums because of their play in your mind when they didn't even have a Competent Manager. Makes no sense to me. 

Your being hypocritical. 

Swearinger wasn’t playing at a high level. He had some good games, but he was an inconsistent player just like Norman. They both started off well to being the 2017 and 2018 seasons but as the season went on, their play dropped. They were a big reason why the D played worse the second half of the season in 2017 & 18.

Swearinger was the FS, I can’t tell you how many times he jumped routes and bit on play fakes and gave up big plays behind him or he missed open field tackles and you can’t have your FS missing open field tackles.

He was the best S we had from Landry until Collins, but people overrate Swearinger just bc he was better then the other trash we had since Landry.

Collins is a much better run defender and too far off as a coverage guy from what Swearinger was.

I guess Swearinger’s next stop will be the XFL w/ Doctson. Haha 🤣 

Edited by turtle28

Swearinger wasn’t playing at a high level. He had some good games, but he was an inconsistent player just like Norman. They both started off well to being the 2017 and 2018 seasons but as the season went on, their play dropped. They were a big reason why the D played worse the second half of the season in 2017 & 18.

Swearinger was the FS, I can’t tell you how many times he jumped routes and bit on play fakes and gave up big plays behind him or he missed open field tackles and you can’t have your FS missing open field tackles.

He was the best S we had from Landry until Collins, but people overrate Swearinger just bc he was better then the other trash we had since Landry.

Collins is a much better run defender and too far off as a coverage guy from what Swearinger was.

I guess Swearinger’s next stop will be the XFL w/ Doctson. Haha 🤣 

Sweariger wasn't cut for his play. He was cut for calling out a Bum Coach. Yet as I said people want to continue bashing player's. Manusky just realized Fabian might be better on the Outside! 

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This is a good post and all......but we are judging our defense off one game.  Against Jeff Driskel and Bo Scarborough, "legends" of SEC past.  I think we've got to at least see what they've got the next couple weeks against a couple MVP candidates in McCaffrey and Rodgers.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Right.  Anyone trying to argue Preston Smith deserved a contract extension based on his play with the Redskins is just trying to change the narrative after the fact now that’s he’s playing well for the Packers.  He made little impact his first 3 seasons and then had an absolutely abysmal season last year which was his contract year.  Based on the performance on the field we absolutely were justified letting him walk with what we knew at the time.

Now we know more.  I think everyone knew our coaching staff was garbage but now it’s plain as day that a guy like Smith is performing the way he is for another team.  It’s beyond just scheme, I don’t think Smith exerted the effort on the field with us that he is doing for the Packers, which is kind of shocking when you consider he was in a contract year last year vs. his situation now where he’s already gotten paid.  That shows you how toxic our organization is, that “damn good” culture is broken.  

Great post.  It's amazing what an above average DC and a winning culture will do for a player.  

• Like 1