Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

Also, anyone who is legitimately trying to sell the point last year that a DC change should've happened.......I agree with you in theory, but in reality, would we have gotten an upgrade in Manusky with Jay Gruden being on the hot seat that he had, and a team without a QB?  No better option would relocate their family to the metro area for one year, and then have to do it over again.  Only someone desperate for a job.  We would have Rob Ryan as our DC now, who has had worse defenses overall than Manusky over his career.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, anyone who is legitimately trying to sell the point last year that a DC change should've happened.......I agree with you in theory, but in reality, would we have gotten an upgrade in Manusky with Jay Gruden being on the hot seat that he had, and a team without a QB?  No better option would relocate their family to the metro area for one year, and then have to do it over again.  Only someone desperate for a job.  We would have Rob Ryan as our DC now, who has had worse defenses overall than Manusky over his career.  

Ya.  The reality is this whole mess should have been blown up before this season started.  This was a wasted season. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

To be accurate the Mike Pettine or Gus Bradley hiring would have happened after Barry was let go after the 2016 season.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

To be accurate the Mike Pettine or Gus Bradley hiring would have happened after Barry was let go after the 2016 season.

And both of them were valued as top defensive minds at that point.  Why attach yourselves to that wagon, when you would be Gruden's third DC, and he was already on the hot seat at that point?  Plus, they probably knew what Wade Phillips knew by then.  

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And both of them were valued as top defensive minds at that point.  Why attach yourselves to that wagon, when you would be Gruden's third DC, and he was already on the hot seat at that point?  Plus, they probably knew what Wade Phillips knew by then.  

Yeah, they probably did know that. I’m sure all defensive coaches knew which is the main reason they were never able to hire a truly great defensive coach. Good point.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, they probably did know that. I’m sure all defensive coaches knew which is the main reason they were never able to hire a truly great defensive coach. Good point.

Don't try and change it up now. Gruden tried to embarrassed Wade Phillips in his interview. That's why Phillips didn't come here. We don't know if he would've accepted the job here or not, but I believe his son was a TE coach or something so that would've help get him here IMO. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Because the Skins had talent on the D or were adding talent on the D. Drafting Allen and Payne back to years. Also the offense with Gruden/Kirk was putting up yards on opponents.

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Don't try and change it up now. Gruden tried to embarrassed Wade Phillips in his interview. That's why Phillips didn't come here. We don't know if he would've accepted the job here or not, but I believe his son was a TE coach or something so that would've help get him here IMO. 

Not changing anything, if you see above, I agree with that, always have. I’ve had that position years before you joined this forum. Wade Phillips should have been hired instead of Barry and how Jay treated him in that interview was unprofessional.  

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Because the Skins had talent on the D or were adding talent on the D. Drafting Allen and Payne back to years. Also the offense with Gruden/Kirk was putting up yards on opponents.

Skins212689 Naptown was talking about why no new defensive coordinators wanted to come and coach under Gruden last year. The point is that Jay was very likely a Lame duck HC and defensive coordinators were smart to go other places where they’d be employed longer than one year.

Just as a point of reference:

Carlos Rogers had six interceptions and 18 passes defensed the year after he left Washington. We all railed against how we let him go without checking his eyes.

His next three years?

2012 - 1 INT, 6 PD
2013 - 2 INT, 8 PD
2014 - 0 INT, 1 PD

Maybe Preston Smith is an underrated talent that Washington let get away because they couldn't see his value due to the coaching staff. Or maybe this year is an aberration and he'll return to his career averages after this. That doesn't absolve the coaching staff, btw.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, taylor made said:

Over/Under on 0.5 sacks on Preston Smith's revenge game? :D I'll take the over.

Over for sure. He’s better than our RTs and Haskins will hold onto the ball too long a few times. I'll say 2 sacks, I just hope he doesn't have a pick 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Have never been a huge Preston Smith fan, but watching him come in the locker room, fresh off of his defense’s utter humiliation of Kirk Cousins, yelling “you like that?!”...

...clearly we should have kept this guy 😂 I did in fact like that, Preston.

• Like 1