Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Have never been a huge Preston Smith fan, but watching him come in the locker room, fresh off of his defense’s utter humiliation of Kirk Cousins, yelling “you like that?!”...

...clearly we should have kept this guy 😂 I did in fact like that, Preston.

I mean... never mind, everyone knows how I felt about him. We had the money to keep Kirk, Breeland,  Preston and Jamison. If Bruce signs Kirk, we still have Fuller in the slot too. If we had those five still, we probably win the division this year.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I mean... never mind, everyone knows how I felt about him. We had the money to keep Kirk, Breeland,  Preston and Jamison. If Bruce signs Kirk, we still have Fuller in the slot too. If we had those five still, we probably win the division this year.

If Bruce signs Kirk we still won’t win when it matters. He just can’t win the big game and that’s now more evident then it ever was. 

• Like 1

People need to relax. Preston Smith was just as clueless his rookie season as Montez Sweat seems to be.

Sweat needs real coaching. The scheme is terrible as we all know. No reason he should be dropping back in coverage. The hope is that someone competent comes in and puts guys in the right spots. With Better coaching, film study and practice, he should improve.

I know just as little as any other fan, but his get off seems to be slow. His 4.4 speed was noted often in the pre/draft process, but we haven’t seen that burst off the line. Technique improvement should help with that.

I’m not gonna give up on him just yet because he seems to have everything one needs to be successful. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That's pretty close.

I'll also add that Preston Smith costs $13.5, $16, & $16.5 mil over the next 3 seasons. 

Montez Sweat costs $2.6, $3.2, & $3.7 over the next 3 seasons, and has a 5th year option the year after that.  

Exactly.  All this whinging about losing Smith for Sweat was pointless.  It was a net positive for us. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Wait, does Pro Football Focus really have Montez Sweat's sack total wrong? Keep treating their ratings like gospel though guys.

They have Smith’s “wrong” too. The other media outlets have him at 12 sacks, not 13. They must determine credit for sacks differently from the official NFL scorers. 

Incidentally, in the second half of the season:

Montez Sweat: 5.5 sacks, 5 TFL 9 QB hits, 2 forced fumbles

Preston Smith: 5.0 sacks, 5 TFL, 10 QB hits, 0 forced fumbles

Preston had a hot start to the season and Sweat didn’t immediately adjust to pass-rushing at the pro level, but they were basically equally productive from midseason on. I think we’re okay.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That's pretty close.

I'll also add that Preston Smith costs $13.5, $16, & $16.5 mil over the next 3 seasons. 

Montez Sweat costs $2.6, $3.2, & $3.7 over the next 3 seasons, and has a 5th year option the year after that.  

Yea, we certainly put that extra cap space to work

¬¬