Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

No one expected Smith to be elite here. Smith was fine as a rotational guy. 

The reason we had "unrealistic" expectations for Orakpo is because he was billed/scouted as the next elite pass rusher, and he wasn't even the best pass rusher of his draft class. 

No Smith was/is a quality starting DE/OLB, he's good but not great like Orakpo was.

Who was a better pass rushed than Orakpo in the 2010 draft class?

And as far as Orakpo goes, you shouldn't have believed the type from Vinny Cerrato and draft experts bc that doesn't mean anything.

You should have reset your expectations for Orakpo once he got into the league like I did and realized he was good but not elite, he was pro bowl worthy but not All-Pro worthy. If you had done that, maybe you would have enjoyed his 10-11 sacks a year - which we haven't had since from ROLB - instead of being so upset about Rak all the time.

Edited by turtle28

49 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No Smith was/is a quality starting DE/OLB, he's good but not great like Orakpo was.

Who was a better pass rushed than Orakpo in the 2010 draft class?

And as far as Orakpo goes, you shouldn't have believed the type from Vinny Cerrato and draft experts bc that doesn't mean anything.

You should have reset your expectations for Orakpo once he got into the league like I did and realized he was good but not elite, he was pro bowl worthy but not All-Pro worthy. If you had done that, maybe you would have enjoyed his 10-11 sacks a year - which we haven't had since from ROLB - instead of being so upset about Rak all the time.

Orakpo was never great. 

Those same draft experts are the ones talking about Sweat having elite speed. 

I was never upset at Orakpo. I just never thought he was worth a big payday. And I was right. 

• Like 1

Put Orakpo, Smith, and Sweat in a 4-3, I think they all do better here. Sweat will come around, he has gone against 2 good to great LTs so far in only 2 starts. I will say I see him producing on the run so far. 

I personally want a 4-3 scheme with Sweat and Kerrigan as the DE's and Allen and Payne as the DTs. This IMO is the best way to go. 

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Legit having a hard time wrapping my head around that we are even having this discussion 2 games into his pro career. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he (Sweat) supposed to be somewhat of a project by many analysts?

Partly why he slid farther than his combine performance lead to believe he would.

He has the speed, agility, size and power. But no moves whatsoever. He just stands up and leans into tackles. Tackles were having no trouble keeping him in front of them as long as they needed yesterday. Needs a lot of work in knowing what to do with his arms and hands to get free.

Maybe if he went up against a all pro in Trent Williams in camp like he should have he would have developed better preparation on playing guys like peters and Smith!!!! Preston smith has gone against Chicago’s OL and Minnesota’s OL!!! Sweat Philly and Dallas I think it’s alittle early there. I said all offseason that the thing about this Trent situation that it hurt the most moreso then the team was Sweat!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Put Orakpo, Smith, and Sweat in a 4-3, I think they all do better here. Sweat will come around, he has gone against 2 good to great LTs so far in only 2 starts. I will say I see him producing on the run so far. 

I personally want a 4-3 scheme with Sweat and Kerrigan as the DE's and Allen and Payne as the DTs. This IMO is the best way to go. 

Yeah considering everyone outside of Holcomb their mostly 4-3 backers we have now!!! There’s no reason we still run the 3-4!!! We haven’t produced with it and Munusky damn sure can’t coach it!!!!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slateman said:

Orakpo was never great. 

Those same draft experts are the ones talking about Sweat having elite speed. 

I was never upset at Orakpo. I just never thought he was worth a big payday. And I was right. 

I didn’t say he was, I meant Orakpo was good, not great. Sorry, I guess I missed a comma there.

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Yeah ! It's called the NFL !! 

No, he’s gone up against elite competition. Tyron Smith and Jason Peters are arguably the two best LTs in the NFL and as a rookie that’s who Sweat had to face his first two games. That’s a tough way to start your career.

This week he gets Charles Leno and after that Nate Solder and then vs the Pats and Dolphins maybe Isaiah Wynn - but he did hurt his foot - and whoever the Dolphins are starting at LT after trading away Tunsil. 

I expect Sweat and Kerrigan to look better over the next month than they did in week 1 and 2 vs good to great OTs.