BDL 2019 Week 2 - Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Oklahoma City EF5's 

SirA1

Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Oklahoma City EF5's   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Williamsport Soul Reavers
    • Oklahoma City EF5's

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2019 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2019 Week 2

Match:  Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Oklahoma City EF5's 

Away Owner: @wwhickok

Home Owner: @Whicker

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Williamsport Soul Reavers

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: LeSean McCoy
WR1: John Brown
WR2: Calvin Ridley
Slot WR: Randall Cobb
TE: Jimmy Graham
LT: Charles Leno
LG: Cody Whitehair
C: Mitch Morse
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Dion Dawkins

Reserve:
RB: Davonta Freeeman
RB James White
WR Miles Boykin
WR: Phillip Dorsett
TE: Maxx Williams
LT: Donovon Smith
LG: John Miller
C: Billy Price

Defense:
(3-4 look)

LE: Davon Godchaux
NT: DJ Reader
RE: Michael Bennett
LOLB: Shaq Barrett
LILB: Myles Jack
RILB: Devin Bush
ROLB: Anthony Barr
CB: Byron Jones
CB Steven Nelson
FS: Ricardo Allen
SS: Von Bell

Reserves:
DE Jonathan Bullard
DL/LB: Tim Williams (4-3 DE, 3-4 LB)
LB: Brian Burns
LB: Darron Lee
CB: Donte Jackson
CB: Carlton Davis
CB: Vernon Hargreaves
S: Sean Davis

Oklahoma City EF5's

QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Joe Mixon (Q)
WR: Adam Thielen
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Allen Robinson
WR: Emmanuel Sanders
LT: David Bakhtiari (Q)
LG: Quinton Spain
C: Rodney Hudson
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Morgan Moses

RB: Giovani Bernard
RB: Frank Gore
WR: D.J. Moore
WR: Michael Gallup
TE: Mark Andrews (Q)
TE: Trey Burton (Q)
OT: Brian O'Neill
OG: D.J. Fluker

LOLB: Von Miller
DT: Cameron Heyward
DT: Stephon Tuitt
ROLB: Ryan Kerrigan
SLB: Lavonte David
WLB: Dont'a Hightower
CB: Marcus Peters
CB: Joe Haden (Q)
CB: Pierre Desir
FS: Malik Hooke
SS: Adrian Amos

OLB: Matt Judon
DL: Steve McLendon (Q)
DL: Margus Hunt
MLB: Cory Littleton
LB: Quincy Williams
LB/S: Bradley McDougald
CB: Shaquill Griffin
S: Jordan Poyer

Edited by SirA1

Williamsport Soul Reavers

Inside of my gameplan you'll find "if" scenarios. These simply an adaptive gameplan to the flow of the game by the opposition. 

Defensive Strategy

With the knowledge that Joe Mixon is not likely to be of full health, while we cannot ignore the running game, we can assume that the passing game will be the primary form of attack by OKC.

Byron Jones will once again shadow the #1 Receiver all game, Adam Thielen.

Nelson will be on Robert Woods.

And Vernon Hargeaves will be on Allen Robinson

The rest of the secondary will be tasked with keeping the younger guys in front of them. DJ Moore and Michael Gallup especially bring speed to the table so it's important that Allen and Bell play smart on the back end.

Tight End is also somewhat of a question mark for OKC, as Burton is going to be limited, if he plays, with a groin injury in recovery.

It will be Myles Jack and Devin Bush tasked with keeping Mixon, Andrew's, and Burton in front of them. Obviously if Mixon cant go it relieves a lot of pressure from our LBs. Frank Gore should not be overlooked however. He has stuck in the league for a reason. But given his style we also know if he is the starter, the majority of the runs will go through the middle of the defense.

Coverage and scheme wise we will be throwing everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink at them.

In 2 WR sets, if they use them, I will be running mostly Man coverage with the CBs with safety help over the top. I will play some zone during these sets as to not be too predictable and disguise some of them as 'man' to avoid tipping our hand. Likely a make shift cover 4 without the CB drop off at times when in man coverage. I want them matching their assignments step for step.

Because of how much respect I feel the opposing wide receivers deserve am going to run more Zone than Man. While it will be a tight zone, I want our secondary guys to be able to read and act and with their skill they should be able to do so quickly. If I were to apply a ratio I'd say 65/35 (zone/man)

Having said that given the likely weakness at RB I think it's fair to suggest we will see more 3+ WR sets.

With that in mind I wipp be running more nickel and dime coverages using Jack and Bush as my dimebacker/MLBs

Expect to see a good miss of cover 6, 4, and disguised cover 2. While I am going to use some cover 0 and 1, it will be limited because I want the extra DBs out there.

I also plan to throw in some Cover 7 as a wrinkle. I do not want the offense to get too comfortable. When we have more DBs on the field I want them pressing on the line with the dime backer and safety protecting the back end. Limit the passing game, that's the primary goal of my defensive attack.

The Safeties will be tasked more often with coverage than blitzing but Von Bell will be my heat seeking missile once in while. It's very important they dont get beat deep so I want that as their focus in this game.

Stafford is also prone to turnovers so if the secondary can keep their coverage in tact we are bound to come up with a couple
So, what will the front 7 be doing? Funny you should ask.

Obviously because coverage will be my main focus there will be few formations here but we are going to run a mix of 3-4 and 4-3 however we will use 3-4 considerably more as our LBs are our strength.

Myles Jack will be my primary communicator, with Byron Jones also wearing a green dot.

Like last week i plan to appear 'sporatic' about blitzes to keep the O line guessing. OKC has a really good Offensive line.
However Bakhtiari has one major flaw, dont know what it is? He is susceptible to bull rushes. He watches the football and QB all the way up to the snap. I plan to take advantage of this allowing Michael Bennett to line up across from him send a lot of blitzes at him early. I want him to be tired before halftime.

The line backers when they're not Blitzing will be instructed to maintain their assignments, do not over pursue I'd rather you give up a small gain on a pass than miss a tackle or be out of position. For the running game, it is Devin Bush' job to tackle anything to the outside. For this reason Darron Lee will rotate in frequently in the 1st half to help keep Bush fresh. (35% of first half snaps)

Jack is a more experienced cover guy so I want him on the Tight end and when able I want him helping cover the middle of the field inside of the hashes, there's no reason for him to waste him energy running down the side line with a WR just keep the mid range central zone in front of you in passing situations.

Burns and Barr will be tasked with quality tackling and attacking the tackles, the only coverage I will assign them is the shallow stuff in their zone, again same with Jack, because I plan to use more nickel and dime, there's no reason for them to be wasting energy doing something they're not intended to. Both of them have good speed and can cover, but I've got a young but really good secondary for that.

I plan to blitz approximately 45% of the time with at least 1 extra person.

Gap disciplines; in addition to all of the above I am going have Reader fill the A Gap.

Bennett will help the OLBs attack the C gap. Jack will line up at RILB in the 3-4 and fill the B gap. Godcheaux will fill the B gap opposite of Jack.

The OLBs, like I said before I want them focused on what is in front of them so they're going to cover the D Gap, provide outside contain, and assist with rushes.

Gap disciplines; in addition to all of the above I am going have Reader fill the A Gap.

Bennett will help the OLBs attack the C gap. Jack will line up at RILB in the 3-4 and fill the B gap. Godcheaux will also assist in the B gap.

Its imperative that Bush is aware and doing well reading the defense, he Is gap free allowing him to read and act.

The OLBs, like I said before I want them focused on what is in front of them so they're going to cover the C Gap and assist with rushes.

In the 4-3 I am going to have the Dline fill the gaps with the OLBs helping on the C and D. With an occasional SS blitz where I will drop Jones deeper and let Bell come up into one of the gaps blitzing

Offensive gameplan

First and foremost, the opposition has a really good Dline so there will be more OL active this week than normal. They will rotate as needed.

It's a safe bet that the defense will attack with their Linebackers, which makes it vital to have Maxx Willuams active for blocking.

Additionally McCoy and James are respectable blockers. While their primary focus will be running and catching the football, I will also task them with picking up or at least slowing down the rush.

Because I anticipate a lot of blitzing I want Ben to get rid of the ball quickly, he is starting in this game over Dak because who knows Cam Heyward, Joe Haden and Stephon tuitt better than Ben?

I plan to run a balanced offense, Ben is better when that is the case. When passing I plan to do so in mostly 3 WR sets, with a mix of 2 TEs or 2 RBs on the field.

2 TEs will be used methodically due to only having 2 active this week. I'd say about a 30% rate vs. Other formations this week.

Freeman will be used on passing downs enough to show the impression we want to do it but James White and McCoy will be my primary receiving backs obviously, however we are going to use Freeman in this way enough to make the opposition have to think about it.

When running the ball I want all 3 guys to rotate and wear down the defense and when it looks like their getting tired I may throw a OL in at FB to work them even harder, though this isnt something I intend to do more than a few plays in the game.

Some More Detailed Notes:

I am going to attack the middle right side of their defense behind Kerrigan and underneath Desir early and often. I want to set up the ability run some play action and use this as a tool to go deep to John Brown against Joe Haden. To do this I plan to use both outside and inside runs. James White and McCoy have more speed so I will use more outside runs with them 60/40; where as freeman will pound the middle of the defense (75/25) complimented with an occasional outside run.

Ridley, because I like his route running better than Browns tbh, I will use him off of play action to run deep posts and corner routes to try to get behind the safeties.

Miles Boykin because of his size will become very important in the red zone, especially on the goal line. Cobb is gonna be my 'quick strike' receiver. I like his ability in the middle of the defense but also on shallow crossing routes.

I also just added Phillip Dorsett and because I like his speed and size, in 3 WR sets he will be featured as well. Via the play action I will also get him opportunities running deep crossing routes between the Safeties.

I plan to use a heavy mix of looks, levels, shotgun 3 and singleback, (though as mentioned single back will be limited as more often I'll use 2 RBs on the field.

My goal offensively is to move the chains, take a shot deep to Brown or Ridley if it's there but stick to high % plays and 12+ play drives to keep OKC off the field offensively.

Oklahoma City EF5's

After a huge win on the road against a heated division rival, we get our home opener against another divisional foe in the Williamsport Soul Reavers. Williamsport took a beating last week, but we will certainly not overlook them as not only do we want to put on a show for our loyal home fans, but we are thinking the wounded and ticked off Soul Reavers are looking to take an unsuspecting victim out back and give them a good paddling. That's not going to be us.

Offense:

This week on offense we're going to come out fast with a pass oriented attack that looks to sling it all over the field and put the foot down on the throat of Williamsport early. Similar to last week, we are going to utilize spread formations to create mismatches with our deep group of wide receivers.

Our base spread look will involve Allen Robinson and Emmanuel Sanders on the outside with Adam Thielen and Robert Woods playing the slot positions. Like our offense last week, this should allow us to create one on ones for our best receivers. However, we will also move all four of these guys around and seek out positive matchups for all of our pass catchers. This will include utilizing Mark Andrews, D.J. Moore, and Michael Gallup off the bench as part of a rotation as well as in five wide sets.

We want to spread the ball around to everyone and at all levels of the field, using matchups as our ultimate guide. However, we will prepare special packages of plays for each of our wideouts, allowing them to get involved in different ways and give us go-to plays in many situations. Thielen will be given a large group of option routes, allowing him to read his cornerback and adjust to get himself open. Matthew Stafford will be expected to be on the same page and talking with Thielen often to find the best way to create consistent production. Robert Woods will be featured on jet sweeps and D.J. Moore will be given a screens and other opportunities for run-after-catch. Allen Robinson and Michael Gallup will be featured on deeper passing plays.

We trust our offensive line to hold up against an uninspiring pass rush from Williamsport. We have two main concerns in this area: Michael Bennett lining up across from our RT and blitzes from Williamsport. We will be utilizing a plethora of delayed routes from our running back position as a way to help mitigate any pressure from the right side. On top of this, these routes will allow an emergency outlet for Stafford. Stafford will be given full control of audibles and we expect he and our veteran center to recognize, pick up, and handle blitz pressure.

If Joe Mixon is good to go then he will draw the start and rotate with Giovani Bernard. If Mixon is unable to go, then Bernard will receive as many snaps as he can handle in a featured role. As described above, our running back will be often run delayed routes as a way to help mitigate pressure on Satfford. We will, however, on occasion mix in wrinkles to this and allow our running backs to run real routes. We will, of course, not forget to run the ball. Our passing game will set up the run as we look to gash a spread out defense with efficient carries.

The health of David Bakhtiari is critical for us. If he's unable to play, then we will shift to a quicker pass game offense with conservative protection. We will focus in on featuring Thielen out of the slot and utilizing tight ends more often to provide additional help for the line.

Defense:

On defense this week we want to again play a conservative defense that looks to stop the run, minimize mistakes, and prevent big plays. We will accomplish this by splitting our time between a basic Cover-3 and Cover-2 man.

In our Cover-3 defense, Marcus Peters and Joe Haden will play the outside deep thirds with Malik Hooker manning the middle third. Lavonte David and Pierre Desir will play opposite flats. This will allow Adrian Amos to line up in the box in a middle zone alongside Dont'a Hightower. With Amos providing extra run support and a zone defense allowing everybody to keep their eyes forward, we will also naturally have defense against a scrambling Dak Prescott, whom we expect to start.

In Cover-2 Man, Peters and Haden will play sides. David will cover Jimmy Graham and Desir will cover the slot. Hightower will be responsible for the running back. Hooker and Amos will play the deep zones.

Against two WR sets, Cory Littleton will come in for Pierre Desir and play in between David and Hightower. During the Cover-3 playcalls, he will play the middle zone with Hightower taking the flat. Littleton will be responsible for the second TE in man coverage.

Against 4 WR sets, Shaq Griffin will come on the field for Dont'a Hightower. Against 5 wide, Jordan Poyer will check in as the 5th CB. In goalline and short yardage situations, we will bring Steve McLendon in at NT.

Our pass rushing strategy will be the same as last week with Von Miller and Ryan Kerrigan being expected to step up as the stars of this defense. Miller will start against Charles Leno and the left side of the Williamsport line with Kerrigan taking on Donovan Smith on the right side. We believe both of these are positive matchups. We will switch the two of them frequently, allowing Miller to take his shots at Smith while also trying to mitigate any help Williamsport might provide. We will mainly rush four this game with only the rare blitz coming out as a wrinkle.

Edited by SirA1

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

I wish OKC would feature Mark Andrews more than they do.

I am also of this sentiment, granted they couldn't have expected him to blow up back to back weeks but he should replace one of the WRs in the lineup in future matchups because I think he's at least more of a threat than Sanders is. 

Overall not a fan of Williamsport here but this is closer than usual because of Stafford's meh performance this week and OKC's RB issues, I'd say Williamsport keeps this close because of their efficiency but eventually fail against a really good OKC defense.  

• Like 1

williamsport put in work here and the effort is appreciated, they just don't have the horses here to keep up.  I like mixing up the defenses and it should work with OKC not mentioning too much how they would attack zone.   However, I feel that OKC will probably be able to have enough time with added blockers and an uninspiring Williamsport pass rush group, 

Opposite, i see the reavers being able to move the ball pretty consistently without any blitzing coming from OKC.  The added blocking should give Ben enough of an oppurtunity to allow his receivers to find holes in the zone defense.  In the end I just don't think it'll be enough

Running game is a pretty clear advantage to OKC based upon personel 

OKC 24-16

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

You dont know what cover 6 and cover 7 is?

Cover 6 is a mix-zone of Cover 2 and cover 4.

Cover-7.pngthat is cover 7. It's a coverage Greg William's actually ulitizes 

Oh ok. That cover 7 looks like it needs to be utilized against a very particular offense. At a glance it looks like there's a lot of room.