BDL 2019 Week 2 - New Orleans Jazz @ Portland Horned Owls

SirA1

New Orleans Jazz @ Portland Horned Owls  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Portland Horned Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2019 at 04:01 AM

I’m going with the Jazz. Yes I know I know. It’s Josh Allen. Well I like their scheme and I like the rest of the team more. I expect Portland to ultimately win this matchup on votes but this has underdog upset written all over it. All the doubters and naysayers... Josh Allen carries the team to rise above and hand Mahomes and crew an L. 

I'm actually going with NO here. I think he's got one of the most talented and deepest groups all the way around in this thing. His decision with the defensive Josh Allen confused me a bit, but I'm going to assume he's not just blindly rushing 5 all game.

On the other hand, I think Portland really underestimates QB Josh Allen's ability and that's going to bite them.

I think NO is going to establish the run, and when it comes time to attack in the passing game Portland's defense (especially the secondary) won't be able to keep pace after being attacked on the ground for a while. 

NO 27-21.

Xmad you gotta clean up your gameplan. You have a lot of good things going on but it is difficult as hell to sift through the crap. Like as soon as I read “... but to keep him fresh we’ll rotate in Barber/Gus to keep him fresh” I immediately do not want to continue reading. While none are quite as blatant as that, there are a lot of redundancies that you could just cut out entirely. I read these things multiple times and I’m sure others do as well. Say everything you want to say one time. I also don’t expect perfect grammar but some of the run-on sentences are crazy. I would MUCH rather read a bunch of to-the-point 5 word sentences than a train-of-thought monstrosity like your sentence/paragraph about Adams and Gilmore.

I’m okay with some humor but in my opinion, this just isn’t the place for a lot of it. Like when you say “offensive formations: the obvious ones,” you’re putting yourself in a tough spot with me because none of them are obvious to me. That’s why you write the plan. I also think of this as a kind of a conversation between a coach to players. It’s okay to be loose on occasion but a “well we got da MVP and they don’t have a real QB” is not a good mindset for players to have. Don’t be like the Browns this year. 

Okay now on to the relevant stuff. 

Unsurprisingly strong game plan from New Orleans in this one. They certainly underestimated Pierce, but that interior line will push against anybody. I am torn on splitting Ertz out and then still pushing the run though. I feel like I was left hanging with the “we’ll discuss this later” but it wasn’t. I am also pretty torn on how to evaluate “we plan on attacking not Trufant/Ryan” immediately followed by the “If Thomas gets 1v1 we’ll take it all day.” I feel like that language could be cleared up a little. 

I do think it seems as if New Orleans wants to rush 5 all game after they have an entire paragraph about not sending extra guys. I really don’t like it and would have preferred to see Cover-2 man or most likely a Cover-1 Robber or Cover-1 with extra attention on McCaffrey. 

A good offensive game plan from Xmad. No glaring mistakes although I don’t think trusting Adams vs CHJ is ideal. 

The defensive game plan is a little less good. Let’s start with the first thing which is Marcus Maye at corner. I struggle to accept that Maye could hack it at corner. Much less outside corner against a decent receiver. Lockett will sure burn him and you’re asking a ton of Shawn Williams as a single high here. 

I know I’ve harped on this kind of thing a ton this week and last but it matters quite a bit to me. But you say you’re running 40% zone. Then you say “well there’s no way Hairston will ever be matched up with Thomas/Watkins/Lockett.” What happens when one of those guys enters Hairston’s zone? Like I understand you put in zone coverage so you’re not just running man coverage every down, but you don’t mention a single thing about how your guys will be playing in a zone look. According to your percentages you’re running zone in like 30 snaps! I’d be perfectly fine with reading nearly 2000 words if you actually describe these things to me instead of pimping your players or downplaying others. You also say you’re going to confuse Allen with disguised coverages but all your guys are just lining up and shadowing receivers! Tell me how you’re disguising your defense!

The lack of respect for Josh Allen is real on the Portland side. Marcus Maye on Lockett with only a single high that’s also gotta watch Watkins and is also occasionally helping against Thomas due to the writeup is just not going to work. Maybe Ed Reed could pull it off. Nate Hairston will inevitably end up guarding a good receiver on more than one occasion despite xmad’s claims to the contrary. 

This game is tough as hell to evaluate. I think Zeke has a steady but not crazy day. I think Lockett feasts and Shawn Williams overall has a bad day. On the other hand, I think New Orleans made some defensive mistakes as well and lets McCaffrey have a huge day and Njoku has a good match here also. Portland’s defensive issues are more glaring but less likely to be exploited each play. I’m going to rain check this one and look at it tomorrow after I sleep 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Xmad you gotta clean up your gameplan. You have a lot of good things going on but it is difficult as hell to sift through the crap. Like as soon as I read “... but to keep him fresh we’ll rotate in Barber/Gus to keep him fresh” I immediately do not want to continue reading. While none are quite as blatant as that, there are a lot of redundancies that you could just cut out entirely. I read these things multiple times and I’m sure others do as well. Say everything you want to say one time. I also don’t expect perfect grammar but some of the run-on sentences are crazy. I would MUCH rather read a bunch of to-the-point 5 word sentences than a train-of-thought monstrosity like your sentence/paragraph about Adams and Gilmore.

I’m okay with some humor but in my opinion, this just isn’t the place for a lot of it. Like when you say “offensive formations: the obvious ones,” you’re putting yourself in a tough spot with me because none of them are obvious to me. That’s why you write the plan. I also think of this as a kind of a conversation between a coach to players. It’s okay to be loose on occasion but a “well we got da MVP and they don’t have a real QB” is not a good mindset for players to have. Don’t be like the Browns this year. 

Okay now on to the relevant stuff. 

Unsurprisingly strong game plan from New Orleans in this one. They certainly underestimated Pierce, but that interior line will push against anybody. I am torn on splitting Ertz out and then still pushing the run though. I feel like I was left hanging with the “we’ll discuss this later” but it wasn’t. I am also pretty torn on how to evaluate “we plan on attacking not Trufant/Ryan” immediately followed by the “If Thomas gets 1v1 we’ll take it all day.” I feel like that language could be cleared up a little. 

I do think it seems as if New Orleans wants to rush 5 all game after they have an entire paragraph about not sending extra guys. I really don’t like it and would have preferred to see Cover-2 man or most likely a Cover-1 Robber or Cover-1 with extra attention on McCaffrey. 

A good offensive game plan from Xmad. No glaring mistakes although I don’t think trusting Adams vs CHJ is ideal. 

The defensive game plan is a little less good. Let’s start with the first thing which is Marcus Maye at corner. I struggle to accept that Maye could hack it at corner. Much less outside corner against a decent receiver. Lockett will sure burn him and you’re asking a ton of Shawn Williams as a single high here. 

I know I’ve harped on this kind of thing a ton this week and last but it matters quite a bit to me. But you say you’re running 40% zone. Then you say “well there’s no way Hairston will ever be matched up with Thomas/Watkins/Lockett.” What happens when one of those guys enters Hairston’s zone? Like I understand you put in zone coverage so you’re not just running man coverage every down, but you don’t mention a single thing about how your guys will be playing in a zone look. According to your percentages you’re running zone in like 30 snaps! I’d be perfectly fine with reading nearly 2000 words if you actually describe these things to me instead of pimping your players or downplaying others. You also say you’re going to confuse Allen with disguised coverages but all your guys are just lining up and shadowing receivers! Tell me how you’re disguising your defense!

The lack of respect for Josh Allen is real on the Portland side. Marcus Maye on Lockett with only a single high that’s also gotta watch Watkins and is also occasionally helping against Thomas due to the writeup is just not going to work. Maybe Ed Reed could pull it off. Nate Hairston will inevitably end up guarding a good receiver on more than one occasion despite xmad’s claims to the contrary. 

This game is tough as hell to evaluate. I think Zeke has a steady but not crazy day. I think Lockett feasts and Shawn Williams overall has a bad day. On the other hand, I think New Orleans made some defensive mistakes as well and lets McCaffrey have a huge day and Njoku has a good match here also. Portland’s defensive issues are more glaring but less likely to be exploited each play. I’m going to rain check this one and look at it tomorrow after I sleep 

There was a 4,000 word version of my game plan at one point, so some of the finer details got cut to keep it shorter. No excuse for the zone thing though that's my stupidity for not addressing that in detail more in this version.  

No denying we do get beat on occasion but more often than not I don't think NOLA can hit those plays because of Allen's inaccuracy. Either way we may get beat for yards but my defense will hold up in the redzone.