BDL 2019 Week 2 - Camden Hood Rats @ Cuba Smugglers

SirA1

Camden Hood Rats @ Cuba Smugglers  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Camden Hood Rats
    • Cuba Smugglers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2019 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2019 Week 2

Match:  Camden Hood Rats @ Cuba Smugglers

Away Owner: @Jlash

Home Owner: @MD4L

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Camden Hood Rats

QB- Lamar Jackson
RB- Sony Michel
WR- DeAndre Hopkins
WR- Courtland Sutton
Slot- Dede Westbrook
TE- Evan Engram
LT- Jason Peters
LG- Larry Warford
C- Chase Roullier
RG- Trai Turner
RT- Orlando Brown Jr
WR- Cole Beasley
TE- Delanie Walker
TE- Jason Witten
OL- Isaiah Wynn
OL- Isaac Seumalo

DE- Chandler Jones
DT- Akiem Hicks
DT- Dexter Lawrence
DE- Montez Sweat
LB- Darius Leonard
LB- Josey Jewell
CB- Denzel Ward
CB- AJ Bouye
CB- Greedy Williams
S- Kevin Byard
S- Jamal Adams
DT- Solomon Thomas
LB- Todd Davis
CB- Ahkello Witherspoon
CB/S- Avonte Maddox
S/CB- Amani Hooker

Cuba Smugglers

QB: DeShaun Watson 
RB: Dalvin Cook 
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Brandin Cooks
WR: Kenny Stills
TE: Jesse James 
LT: Anthony Castonzo
LG: Laken Tomlinson 
C: Alex Mack
RG: David DeCastro 
RT: Rob Havenstein 

RB: Damien Williams
WR: DJ Chark
WR: Donte Moncrief
H-Back: Jaylen Samuels 
Flex: Taysom Hill
TE: Ian Thomas
OL: Germain Ifedi
OL: Ryan Jansen 

Edge: Jerry Hughes
DT: Jurrell Casey 
NT: Fletcher Cox 
DE: Denico Autry 
WLB: KJ Wright 
SLB: De’Vondre Campbell 
RCB: Isaiah Oliver
NCB: Kenny Moore 
FS: Rodney McLeod 
SS: Tyrann Mathieu 
LCB: Richard Sherman 

DE: Carl Nassib
OLB: Kyle Van Noy 
MLB: Eric Kendricks 
DT: Arik Armstead 
NT: Derrick Nnadi
CB4: Anthony Brown
SS: Ronnie Harrison 
FS: Will Harris

Edited by SirA1

Camden Hood Rats

Offense
This week we go against long time friend and fellow BDL owner Cuba. The defense has some strengths but our job is to find a way to exploit any weaknesses we see, and we think we've got a number of ways to move the ball against the Smugglers. Here are some keys to what we want to do.

Keep Jackson in rhythm with RPO's and quick passes- With Cuba bringing some really good players along that defensive line, we want to keep Lamar Jackson working as a rhythm passer. That means lots of crossing routes, quick outs, short curls and tunnel screens to get the ball in our playmakers hands quickly. Hopkins and Westbrook have shown they can operate this part of the game beautifully and they'll be key in this area. This should be part of what helps negate that Cuba rush and keep Lamar hot. Similar to last week, we want to use the RPO game to force the defense to remain invested in stopping the run.

Evan Engram/Delanie Walker- Jackson has shown in his short career he loves to target his TE's. Luckily for us we've got a couple really good ones, ones that present major matchup problems for a defense. That's no different for Cuba. In the same vein as last week when we rolled out lots of 'Big Slot' looks where Engram and Walker would flex out to the slot, we'll do lots of that again. We just don't see a player on Cuba that can match up with Engram specifically all game long when he's out there. Wright and Campbell are good players, but they aren't flexing out and following him around in space, and Honey Badger or his other CB's just aren't big enough IMO. Delanie Walker has shown that even coming off a major injury he's a legitimate problem in the redzone also. I think they can run wild today and Jackson will continue to target the TE position. 

Utilize the deep pass- With a running threat like Jackson, coupled with running an offense that is RPO heavy there are going to be times when the defense is caught napping and someone can get behind them. Courtland Sutton showed again in week 1 that he's capable of picking up big chunks of yards down the field, using a combo of deceptive speed, body control and catch radius to beat people downfield. As Hopkins and Westbrook work the short and intermediate in the rhythm passing game, Sutton will be key in forcing Cuba to stay disciplined on the back end. When they aren't, Sutton is key for Jackson.

Balanced run game- With RPO's being deployed heavily today, our RB's will be key in helping keep that Dline off of Jackson. Michel and Montgomery will rotate, with Michel getting the bulk of the work and Carlos Hyde is our banger in short yardage work.

Defense (nickel cover 3 zone)
Cuba brings a vastly improved offense into this contest. Maybe one of the better trio's in the league, to go along with an explosive run game and ice cold QB. Here is how we plan to slow down the Smugglers.

Cover 3 zone- With 3 WR's who can get deep and stretch your defense out, we think our best bet is to run a cover 3 zone. This allows us to cover a ton of the field, without worrying about specific man to man matchups, thus having 3 guys back in deep thirds. Here is snap shot of what the coverage looks like pre and post snap for clarity:
Cover_3_gif_medium.gif
Here you can see a couple things: 1) We can confidently cover the deep thirds and intermediate part of the field to limit big plays 2) Jamal Adams coverage responsibility also brings him closer to the box, helping to defend against Dalvin Cook and his big play ability. 

Blitz Watson to force mistakes- One of the things we love about running a zone heavy  game plan is that it gives us a number of blitzes to utilize. Our ends present a strong pass rush ability to begin with, so on top of dealing with that we have the ability to throw Darius Leonard (7 sacks as a rookie) and Jamal Adams (3.5 sacks from the safety spot in '18) at Watson with disguised looks. As above, here are some visuals of the two most important blitzes we can employ today:
bd_play6_hg.gif
bd_play7_hg.gif

Contain Cook- Dalvin Cook has shown his explosiveness is back, for sure. Our defensive line and LB's, however, are really good run defenders and we bring a lot of stoutness up front. I think Cuba is going to have tough sledding getting Cook going without running something gimmicky. If we can shut Cook down, it takes a massive pressure off of our secondary against a stud like Watson and his receivers. 

Cuba Smugglers

Overview

We took a tough loss against a good Gotham team. There is no time to be down with an elite Camden team coming to town.

Offense 

The first major sticking point is allowing DeShaun Watson the chance to attack the AJ Bouye less Camden secondary. Camden poses some good players at CB, but no one particularly matches up well with Julio Jones. We figure whomever covers Julio gets help from Byard or Adams, and to compensate that we will play him next to Brandin Cooks. This should allow easier reads in single coverage for one of the mentioned weapons. We will bunch them undercenter if Camden decides to strictly play man coverage, making it harder to press cover the receivers. In spread formations, we will open to 4 receiver sets and run pick routes with Stills opening the way for Cooks. DJ Chark is the homerun threat, and his ability to stretch the field is important for Watson when he extends plays. 

Camden brings an imposing pass rush, so it will be important to create some type of balance. Our offensive line has one average player, three good players, and one elite player meaning DeShaun Watson will have time. If Camden attempts to blitz Jamal Adams or Darius Leonard frequently, we counteract with RPOs involving Dalvin Cook and Brandin Cooks as the short area target. We want to attack Greedy Williams matchup as the stack formations can potentially get Greedy involved in the slot vs one of our best players. Akhello Witherspoon is another guy we look forward to targeting if he stars for Bouye.

As for Dalvin Cook he passed a big test with health in his first performance. He makes it harder to solely focus on Watson’s weapons and our offensive line should have success if we can repeatedly block Akiem Hicks with two players. Particularly with stretch plays in I-formation and three receiver sets undercenter, we think Cook is capable of causing havoc if he can get to the next level. If Camden decides to utilize its cover two shell from last week as its base defense, we think Cook can avoid Watson having to deal with constant obvious passing downs. DeCastro and Mack would ideally lead the way as their task is against Hicks.

We do have a bag of tricks to utilize on a regular basis. Taysom Hill serves as an OW that we may used for a trick play. He has the ability to make a throw on a backward pass to DJ Chark. The plan involves Julio paired with the two and running a post to clear a safety. Secondly, Jaylen Samuels is our H-Back. In the redzone especially, we like putting him as a fullback for Dalvin Cook. Watson can also pose a threat as a runner, so Samuels is a nice wrinkle to cause a distraction and possible mismatches on redzone RPOs. Damien Williams will get his share of snaps but we like using him with Dalvin Cook on early downs when the down and distance is between 5-8 yards. We can throw Jesse James in the slot to function as a lead blocker if we decided to motion can call a RPO where the second play is a screen when the TE is the lead blocker in space.

TLDR: Balance on offense. Let Watson do damage with Cooks/Jones. Heavily involve Dalvin Cook to keep Watson away from obvious passing downs.

Defense:

Lamar Jackson poses as a viable threat because his dual threat. We are not an imposing defense in man coverage, but our starting two CBs are above average tacklers. We are going to use more zone blitz defenses to add additional pressure beyond our DL. Kenny Moore is one of the best players in that regard so it’s important to note he lines up at RCB on base and NCB on nickel packages. His ability to make plays in that area is helpful for the variety of looks either passer will face from us.

The second thing we want to do is change our formations actively so Lamar rarely sees the same formation. Camden uses tempo so with the same 11 players we can adjust to the 4-3 and immediately thereafter change to a 3-4. Kyle Van Noy’s return gives another edge player who can seamlessly slide to off ball LB on a given play. He and Kenny Moore can alter their blitzing duties when we enter sub-packages.

The running game is equally important because Lamar can pick apart isolated coverage. Giving Lamar enough looks is important because the extra blitzes are equally intent on stopping the running back. When we feature 4-3 formations we can add three above average starters with Wright/Kendricks/Campbell, however we can use some 3-4 looks with Van Noy taking De’Vondre Campbell’s spot and Nnadi being the NT (Cox/Casey revert to 5T in a 3-4). In some 3-3-5 looks, Casey moves to DE and Arik Armstead serves as the opposing edge with Cox at NT. On those formations, Van Noy would only be used as a spy on zone coverage or a delayed blitzer in man coverage. On 3-2-6 formations, Tyrann Mathieu moves to NCB. He replaces Van Noy’s spy responsibility in cover 3. That is our base play regardless of formation.

Hopkins is definitely the guy we want to cover. The emphasis of cover 3 means one safety is expected to be involved in the run game. Since we’re blitzing additional players, the SS will come down into the box. Tyrann will get help from our LB’s to cover Engram, but his responsibility will also fall on covering Dede Westbrook on a handful of plays and when Camden utilizes its own set of RPOs. Sherman proved he’s capable of handling number one duties but Rodney McLeod will switch the extra help toward he and Isaiah Oliver. When Oliver is matched against Nuke, McLeod strays from Sherman to help Oliver on deep targets.

TLDR: Prepared for Lamar Jackson the passer. Change formations frequently and try to keep Lamar focused on making pre snap reads. Cover 3 defense primarily. Change the spy frequently (KVN, Kenny Moore, and Jerry Hughes). Zone blitz calls to handle the running ability of passer. Boundary guys focus on Nuke and helping Oliver w Tyrann when Hopkins moves opposite Sherman.

Edited by SirA1

So, I took a slightly different approach to how I decided this one.  1st in foremost I suspect these 2 teams will definitely see each other again in what will be an equally  Tough match up. With AJ Bouye off the field, despite respectable depth, I feel like that is a big step down in the secondary for Camden. While Jackson poses a dual threat and has shown improvement as a passer, I am still not convinced based on the talent he has faced. I think both of these QBs are going to end up throwing an Int in this game. I like both teams ability to rush the passer and play well against the run. I think these two teams could be easily among the best in the entirely league from at least an execution standpoint.

At the end of the day, I feel really strongly that the combination of offensive weapons does just enough more with the extra opportunity they receive via a turnover or two. 

This is an absolute all out brawl, with a score higher than I would've guessed. 35-31 Cuba.

This is a super close matchup as both teams are kind of mirrors of each other in how they want to run offense and defense.  In the end I'm gonna take Cuba here as their plan to attack running outside should get a couple big plays against a zone blitz that is running those edges backwards first

Both teams are ready and really its no game plan fault.  I think Cuba just musters more of a run game though Havenstein has been booty so far this season, Sweat  hasn't shown me much to combat that.  

Cuba 20-17

• Like 1

Ah the team that traded for Alex Mack vs the team that should have traded for Alex Mack.

It's another nail bitter. Both really good teams, both really good gameplans (and kinda look alike).

I think Camden weapons vs Cuba back 7 is a mismatch. Cuba did well to play in zone and I think they can beat fairly consistently Camden OL. Blitzing for them is kinda double-edged (does that mean something?). The good thing is it isolates Cox or Casey vs Rouiller, which is a huge mismatch. But  I'm unsure Cuba has the capacity to defend bigger zones. It will also create more space for Lamar/Michel should they hit second level. Overall I think Camden O has a mixed performance with some big plays, some 3 and outs and a couple of turnovers.

On the other hand Cuba has a superb offense. Only thing is I would likely start Chark over Stills, but that's just me not liking Stills very much. Same kind of defensive concept for Camden, but, while I think Leonard can be very effective in blitzing and Watson has a tendancy to hold on to the ball too long, I think every Cuba lineman can hold on 1vs1 against their opponent - Castonzo/Havenstein vs Jones is probably the biggest point of difference for Camden and it's not a huge one. I like their ability to hit Julio or Cooks outside. A better TE would have sealed the deal for me. I did not agree with MD4L decision to double Hicks. Hicks is a fantastic player but I believe Mack and DeCastro are one of the best G-C combo in BDL and I would have prefered one of them hitting the second level. Still, Leonard blitzing can lead to more space and we know Cook can run.

So when it came down to a decision I tried to balance the advantage Camden had in the weapons vs back 7 vs the advantage Cuba had in the tranches. The fact that Cuba is home mattered as I believe it builds on their advantage in the tranches. I also feel Cuba has the most complete team and they can rely on more players than Camden. Finally I like Cook a tad more than Michel&co in this one, simply on form of the moment.

28-24 Cuba in a good one

I'm not sure why this is in Cubas favor as much as it is right now, The way it's currently written Cuba's safeties are: playing the lower 3rd in cover three, in the box to help with the run, covering the TE and a WR at the same time, and helping over the top with Hopkins. I get that a lot of formations were thrown out there in the writeup but there's no way Sutton doesn't break a couple and/or Engram doesn't have a field day. While losing Bouye hurts a lot the cover 3 masks that significantly. I do think Julio has a game but I like what Lasherson is doing here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm not sure why this is in Cubas favor as much as it is right now, The way it's currently written Cuba's safeties are: playing the lower 3rd in cover three, in the box to help with the run, covering the TE and a WR at the same time, and helping over the top with Hopkins. I get that a lot of formations were thrown out there in the writeup but there's no way Sutton doesn't break a couple and/or Engram doesn't have a field day. While losing Bouye hurts a lot the cover 3 masks that significantly. I do think Julio has a game but I like what Lasherson is doing here.

Tyrann moves to NCB on some occasions. And one of the backup safeties become in charge of helping LBs cover Camden’s TEs.