Big Ben MEGA THREAD - ALL BIG BEN DISCUSSION HERE - BIG BEN OUT FOR SEASON

steelcurtain29

Pretty brutal.  Anytime somebody clutches their elbow like that, it's rarely good news.  With how this season is going thus far, I didn't have much faith this team was going anywhere with or without Ben.  The coaching is too poor.  Not the worst scenario to see what we have in Rudolph and move from there.  I'm just hoping this isn't a career ender.  I've never heard of a QB getting Tommy John

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not that it's likely, but what happens if Rudolph has alot of success this year and Ben doesnt retire?  

That would be a really tricky situation because it's not like Ben isn't still above average.  Ben has too much pull in this organization to be benched.  If he plays poorly for 2-3 games, Rudolph would come in--at least that's my guess.  My worry would be the obnoxious fans who would probably be chasing Ben out of the stadium with pitchforks   

Just now, Steelers22 said:

That would be a really tricky situation because it's not like Ben isn't still above average.  Ben has too much pull in this organization to be benched.  If he plays poorly for 2-3 games, Rudolph would come in--at least that's my guess.  My worry would be the obnoxious fans who would probably be chasing Ben out of the stadium with pitchforks   

Not that I disagree, but Ben will be 38 next year coming off a serious elbow injury... Assuming he misses a whole year. I don't care how much pull he has, if Rudolph plays well this year, they have to seriously consider going with Rudolph.

It will definitely be an interesting situation.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Not that I disagree, but Ben will be 38 next year coming off a serious elbow injury... Assuming he misses a whole year. I don't care how much pull he has, if Rudolph plays well this year, they have to seriously consider going with Rudolph.

I agree, I'd be ok with them cutting Ben but I have a hard time envisioning that.  Time will tell.  What's your take on Rudolph going forward?  Only one half but he looked really promising.

If it turns out to be a minor injury, I'm going to be done with Ben. And that's not because Mason Rudolph made me a believer because I'm still fairly convinced he'll never be more than a back-up. Not that it would matter with as soft as the defense looks.

I've said for a while that when Roethlisberger's career ends, I'm done with the NFL. I can barely stand what its turned into.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

no way Ben will like being a back-up

I think he would retire or request a trade in the offseason if they give the keys to Mason

I think it's safe to say that they aren't going to ask a guy being paid $30 million a year to be a back-up.

Edited by CKSteeler

2 hours ago, August4th said:

I think he would retire or request a trade in the offseason if they give the keys to Mason

The only other option would be to trade Mason.

I really hope Mason either completely sucks or completely tears it up.     Nothing in between....because if he tears it up, then we may have very well found our next QB.     If he sucks then we should be drafting high enough to be in position to find Ben's replacement, or at the very least, get an impact player this team desperately needs, especially on defense.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not that it's likely, but what happens if Rudolph has alot of success this year and Ben doesnt retire?  

trade ben to arians would help the team the most in the long run.  Colbert won't do that though, he will trade rudolph and sign dupree etc. What happens if Rudolph wins say 5 straight as a starter and then ben is to return? Controversy xD

3 hours ago, Steelers22 said:

Ben has too much pull in this organization to be benched

this is when the coach steps in and says we are going with the hot hand. Parcells and the 90 giants are an example and they defeated the favourite int he SB.  Tomlin and the steelers are different though.

3 hours ago, Steelers22 said:

y worry would be the obnoxious fans who would probably be chasing Ben out of the stadium with pitchforks 

the team responded to Rudolph, the fans did too.  I never saw ben mentoring Rudolph on the sidelines at all, he wasn't even near him.  Maybe the players  (by responding) are ready for the change anyways. The fans might see all this as well as all the pull ben has had over the years and how these years were essentially wasted with one of the most talented rosters over that period of time.  I could see some pitchforks being brought out

if Rudolph plays well this year, they have to seriously consider going with Rudolph.

Rudolph will play well , even with these lousy WR's because he will throw to Vmac (remember him?), the RB's (all tied for 3rd best WR's on the team thanks to colbert and scouts) and he did really good vs a good seahawks D with not many reps in practice etc. Go with the hot hand like the  giants did in 90.

It will be the new drama for this season and it could be win win or total loss. If ben is out for just a few weeks but returns and isn't 100% , it will be worse than it was and that should be a few losses. If Rudolph does really good ( as I expect) then there will be controversy, pitchforks etc.... Mark it down, this will be the new drama in steelers land for 2019. The injury might be a fake too, like Hadens AC sprain , so wait and see yippee ;)

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I think it's safe to say that they aren't going to ask a guy being paid $30 million a year to be a back-up.

if the team is winning and playing better with the "back-up" then he should be the "starter".  The fact the new back up is paid $30M indicates that that GM mispaid someone for some reason.  Sure, people say ben is HOF , but age and injury has the team here in 2019 in what could be the turning point moving forward. Thats not the first time it has happened intros league either.  Rod Woodson is an example for this franchise, HOF player but steelers moved on from him. Injuries can alter plans in this league and a throwing arm/shoulder injury to a QB would be serious. 

4 hours ago, August4th said:

exactly, no way he will be aback up. I doubt he will mentor either, I never saw him interested at all helping Rudolph on the sidelines.  See how the wifi is in Tampa with arians once they let winston go to the cfl.

4 hours ago, Steelers22 said:

I agree, I'd be ok with them cutting Ben but I have a hard time envisioning that. 

That wouldn't be how they do it. I would expect either retire or trade, but not getting cut. Keep it on good terms, but if ben insists staying here and being the starter even after Rudolph wins, gets to the playoffs with no WR talent, it will be telling of just how much control ben had over the years.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

or at the very least, get an impact player this team desperately needs, especially on defense.  

you trust colbert to draft on defense? He might be less than 50% for RD1 picks on D, so it's a coin toss, almost like the one in detroit at thatB| .  Trade for Minkah, and draft  the best safety or get one run UFA to replace edmunds is how I would address the D but lets  not go there in this thread.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

you trust colbert to draft on defense? He might be less than 50% for RD1 picks on D, so it's a coin toss, almost like the one in detroit at thatB| .  Trade for Minkah, and draft  the best safety or get one run UFA to replace edmunds is how I would address the D but lets  not go there in this thread.

I dont trust Colbert to draft much of anything at this point.

That's why I said the longer he's here, the more long-term damage he's going to do, sticking us with mediocre Talent OR talent that might not fit the next regime.

The writing is on the wall... this front office has exhausted its usefulness, and the roster needs completely overhauled. Could major changes mean we end up sucking for several years? Perhaps... But I'd rather see this team try and fail, rather than stagnate in complacency while we hover around .500 for the next decade.

Here's what I would do if it were my call:

#1 - Lets see what the injury is.  I know this sounds no brainer, but if it's short term, I'm not overreacting to good or bad play from Rudolph.  If it's long term, Rudolph needs to know this is his shot.

#2 - We need to assess the play of Rudolph.  If he making on time throws, quality throws, good reads.

#3 - IF HE PLAYS WELL: As the season is going on, I have continuous meetings with Ben.  If Rudolph keeps it up, I'm trying to persuade Ben to retire.  If he scoffs at the idea, start to take the temperature of teams that want a stop gap QB, and where Ben would like to be.  Chicago and Denver are two teams that immediately come to mind.  Get even just a 3rd.  IF HE DOESN'T PLAY WELL AND BEN IS OUT SHORT TERM: If Ben is out 4-6 weeks, and when he gets healthy and we're like 1-6/2-5 I would convince him that we should IR him and that being bad for the year and getting a high draft pick is most beneficial for him and the team.  IF HE DOESN'T PLAY WELL AND BEN IS OUT LONG TERM: Now this one is the one that comes with the caveat. If we suck into a position for a top QB, I'm telling Ben that 2020 is his farewell tour.  Draft the QB, go in on FA's, hope we can send Ben out with a bang.  If we aren't bad enough for one of the top QB's, I consider trading back in the 1st, collect a 2021 1st, and look at 2 more season of Ben.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The real question will be whether Ben wants to rehab for the amount of time required.