Packers & Vikings Postgame

Leader

2 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

I love the idea of taking shots on 2nd and short, but when you are struggling in short distance 3rd/4th downs and getting 1st downs all together, the main focus has to be to get the chains moved any way possible. Unfortunately that's where we were at in the 2nd half yesterday.

You need to take your shots. Be it on 1st and 10 or 2nd and short, we were running some super sorry big ten offense in the second half of last week's game. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Jaire is something else ... there was a play yesterday where he basically shoved Preston Smith into Dalvin Cook along the sidelines to keep him from turning the corner.  Kid is really good.

The number of times yesterday he got in on a play where had no business being involved was astounding. Not only does he stay glued to his man in 1 on 1, he's alert enough to constantly be reading the QB and just flies to the football. Could have had at least 3 INT yesterday and nearly forced a fumble on the pass to the FB. Awesome player.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You need to take your shots. Be it on 1st and 10 or 2nd and short, we were running some super sorry big ten offense in the second half of last week's game. 

Throwing the ball 3 times in a row after the Kevin King pick was "super sorry big ten" offense?

Edited by MaryTsraining3s

17 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Throwing the ball 3 times in a row after the Kevin King pick was "super sorry big ten" offense?

Yes:

• A 2-Man route Max Protect play action that your QB throws too high and outside on 1st down
  • A 2-Man clear out for a RB wheel route behind them that your QB leaves short on 2nd down. 
  • A short drag route that your WR catches behind the LOS and ends up getting tackled 2 yards short of the first down marker.

That is every single plodding Big-Ten team when they decide to "Be Aggressive" on 1st down. The Badgers run it three times per week. 

27 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

The number of times yesterday he got in on a play where had no business being involved was astounding. Not only does he stay glued to his man in 1 on 1, he's alert enough to constantly be reading the QB and just flies to the football. Could have had at least 3 INT yesterday and nearly forced a fumble on the pass to the FB. Awesome player.

He's gonna break the bank when it comes time

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes:

• A 2-Man route Max Protect play action that your QB throws too high and outside on 1st down
  • A 2-Man clear out for a RB wheel route behind them that your QB leaves short on 2nd down. 
  • A short drag route that your WR catches behind the LOS and ends up getting tackled 2 yards short of the first down marker.

That is every single plodding Big-Ten team when they decide to "Be Aggressive" on 1st down. The Badgers run it three times per week. 

You did a phenomenal job of twisting that to fit your narrative, and by looking at this from your perception, I can't really argue. BUT you probably could have guessed, I will give my view:

-5 minutes 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter, you are up 5 points. When have the Badgers or any other Big 10 team, hell honestly ANY team, thrown the ball 3 times in a row in this situation? 

-When have the Badgers ever thrown the ball 3 times in a row, period, outside of being down by multiple scores late in the game?

Point being: I will stick with my original point by saying if you are struggling in short distance situations and you run the ball to just to pick up that first down on second and short, I have no problem with it. I will agree with you by saying "yes you still have to take your shots"....BUT I have absolutely no problem with running the ball on second and short in the situation we were in yesterday to ensure you at least pick up 1 first down, so you are able to take those shot plays later in the drive. It seems to me that the hardest 1st down for us to pick up is that first one, and usually when we get that first one our offense seems to score points more often than not. Got to get that first one though.. That's where this conversation all stemmed from, I think?

You did a phenomenal job of twisting that to fit your narrative, and by looking at this from your perception, I can't really argue. BUT you probably could have guessed, I will give my view:

-5 minutes 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter, you are up 5 points. When have the Badgers or any other Big 10 team, hell honestly ANY team, thrown the ball 3 times in a row in this situation? 

-When have the Badgers ever thrown the ball 3 times in a row, period, outside of being down by multiple scores late in the game?

Point being: I will stick with my original point by saying if you are struggling in short distance situations and you run the ball to just to pick up that first down on second and short, I have no problem with it. I will agree with you by saying "yes you still have to take your shots"....BUT I have absolutely no problem with running the ball on second and short in the situation we were in yesterday to ensure you at least pick up 1 first down, so you are able to take those shot plays later in the drive. It seems to me that the hardest 1st down for us to pick up is that first one, and usually when we get that first one our offense seems to score points more often than not. Got to get that first one though.. That's where this conversation all stemmed from, I think?

The Badgers do that crap in close games against legitimate teams, probably not up with 5 minutes left in the game, but you were the one who picked that sequence. That was probably the least egregious of the sequences.

If you're not taking your shots on 2nd and short, where are you taking them?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Badgers do that crap in close games against legitimate teams, probably not up with 5 minutes left in the game, but you were the one who picked that sequence. That was probably the least egregious of the sequences.

If you're not taking your shots on 2nd and short, where are you taking them?

I picked that sequence to show that LaFleur isn't afraid to be "aggressive."

Did you read my entire previous post? 

I picked that sequence to show that LaFleur isn't afraid to be "aggressive."

Did you read my entire previous post? 

A 2-Man route with max protect on 1st down. A clear out for a RB wheel route on 2nd down. And a drag route caught at the line of scrimmage on 3rd down.

If that's your definition of aggressive, I hate to see what you consider conservative.

I did read your entire post. You gave no down and distance sequence of values with which you would like to see shot plays called. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So Bulaga was dominant again this week. He's handled Mack and Hunter in back to back weeks. Is it time we start talking about extending him instead of replacing him next year?

Also Bulaga's totally gonna give up 2 sacks to Miller this week. That's the worst style matchup for him. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20