Packers & Vikings Postgame

Leader

Jaire Alexander: Came all the way across the field and thought he had an INT on the Diggs TD. I lost it in the sun, though. It is what it is. Check out my 1-on-1 coverage. I was on them boys all day. I'm going to make them plays. It's only game 2.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 4

The positives:

+ Marcedes Lewis. This was clearly his best game as a Packer. He absolutely owned the Vikings edge rushers and ILBs on those outside zones. He was consistently getting guys reached. This was such a 180 from his last set of games with the Packers that I hardly recognized the guy.

+ Elgton Jenkins held his own. Was very impressed with what he had going on. The Vikings tested him a few times on various stunts and he handled them nicely. As good of a start against a strong front as anybody could have reasonably expected.

+ Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Both were seeing it and running very well today. If we're going to get this level of run blocking and running, it's going to be very very hard for anybody to keep 2 safeties back. 

+ Kenny Clark is a superstar and makes his presence felt every week.

+ Blake Martinez was struggling just to keep it going but he fought through it.

+ Preston Smith might be the best football player outside of the stat sheet that I have ever watched through these first two games. He is absolutely killing it.

+ Z Smith has been exactly what we thought he was when we signed that contract. The Vikings had no answer for him on the inside rushes.

+ Adrian Amos quietly had a very strong performance. Asked to do a lot and handled it all with quiet professionalism.

+ Kevin King and Jaire Alexander were both phenomenal. They both looked like future pro bowlers today. Tramon and Tony were basically invisible today as well which is a positive. 

+ Pettine. God bless you sir. 

+ Darnell Savage in pass defense.

Negatives:

- Darnell Savage in run defense. Fills and open field tackles weren't so good today.

- Dean Lowry in run defense. I get you pay them for pass rush which was strong today, but he and Adams were both less than impressive today.

- Bakhtiari is looking really mortal as a pass protector through two weeks. He got beat clean twice today which never happens.

- Lane Taylor. Buddy, I need you to get fat again. You do not have the anchor to pass protect at 310 or whatever you are at. You were way better off being a solid pass protector and struggling with your reach blocks than you are being mediocre at your reach blocks and getting repeatedly run over in protection. He looks like a different dude this year and I kinda blame the staff. Glad to see Jenkins in here.

- MVS. Hate to do this to the guy, but I need him to find a way to come down with one of those tough catches in the second half or make that 1st down on the crosser. Rodgers also doesn't seem to have gotten over his bromance with Adams.

- Graham. What are we doing here? I genuinely don't know if you are washed up or not because you are legitimately not getting targeted, and when you are it's on sad little out routes. Why aren't you allowed to run vertical anymore?

- Rodgers. You used to have fantastic football IQ. Where the hell is it?

- LaFleur. What the **** was that second half? 

- - - And the worst guy on the field today. Goodson. Wow is this dude scrubtastic. 

+++

The problem with the offense starting after the 3rd drive was just inefficient football.

4th drive: Allison fumble. Whatever. **** happens.

+++

5th drive: Jones run up the middle for 5 yards. Jones run up the middle for 4 yards.

3rd and 1. Come out with 22 personnel. Tonyan on the left, Lewis on the right. The Vikings have 10 defenders, literally both safeties in the box. We do the most predictable thing ever and run the zone lead behind Lewis. Jones gets stuffed at the line. Punt the ball away on 4th and 1.

Badly predictable play call on 3rd and short, and a bad decision to punt on 4th and short.

+++

6th drive: Adams gets the false start. Run a 2-man play action route out of max protect that sees Rodgers hold it for 5 seconds before throwing it to a covered Adams.  

Run 3 WRs to the right, Graham to the left. Graham gets a corner on him, Kumerow as the innermost receiver gets a linebacker. Try to run a bubble screen to MVS despite Kendricks and both CBs being 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. Blocking is terrible, end up losing 4. 

Nobody open, tries to check it down to Graham but ends up getting hit.

Commit the penalty to put yourself behind schedule. Come out with a bad personnel grouping and play call for being behind schedule. Make a terrible read on not changing the bubble screen.

+++

7th drive: Jones run up the middle for 4. Jones run up the middle for 4.

3rd and 2. Run the same flare screen to the slot receiver that failed against Chicago, this time with Allison in that spot and not Graham. Same result. No gain.

4th and 2. Come out with 11 personnel in twins. Line the slot receiver on the left side really close to the tackle so that his DB needs to be accounted for in the zone blocking and then run to that side. Be surprised when 4 defenders fill 4 gaps and there's nowhere for Jones to go on 4th down.

Running the same failed short yardage play on 3rd and 2, and just not understanding spacing on 4th and 2. At least we went for it. 

+++

8th drive:

Rodgers has Davante Adams wide open on a slant and just doesn't throw the ball for no reason. Ends up throwing it away.

Screen Pass gets sniffed out. It happens. 

3rd and 16 from our own 24 with 35 seconds left in the half and we end up doing a roll out that ends in a throw away. 

QB not making throws, and a bad decision to pass instead of run out the clock/Vikings timeouts on 3rd and 16

+++

9th drive:

Too many men in the huddle penalty.

Pitch for 4 yards to get it to 2nd and 11.

Dump off to the RB to get it to 3rd and 8.

Linsley snaps the ball to Rodgers feet. 

Stupid pre-snap penalty and a bad snap. 

+++

10th drive: Come out in 13 personnel.

Williams run up the middle for 3 yards.

Run empty backfield with Davante Adams as the only receiver on the field. Nobody is open with 3 TEs running routes.

Jones and Graham miscommunicate on the blitz pickup and Rodgers chooses to hold the ball despite having Geronimo Allison in the slot get an inside release against Cover-2 with blitzing ILBs. Graham gets charged for the sack here but he thought he had Jones to help him and Rodgers deserved to get clocked here for holding it anyway. 

DON'T PLAY 13 PERSONNEL. Rodgers, throw the ******* ball. 

+++

11th drive: 

Screen pass gets sniffed out.

Jones run up the middle on 2nd down for a gain of 4.

Rodgers throws the beautiful ball to MVS down the middle which gets tipped out of his hands.

2nd and long run is going to give me drinking problems.

+++

12th drive:

Graham gets called for the softest OPI ever.

Rodgers gets sacked on 2nd and 20.

Throw the dump off to Kumerow for 13 on 3rd and 28. 

We've got a hard on for screen passes which aren't working, but the bad OPI call kills this drive.

+++

13th drive: 

Play action 2-route max protect. Rodgers throws a terrible ball to MVS which sees him get carried out of bounds.

Kendricks makes a great play in coverage to break up a really good looking wheel route.

Underneath cross to MVS gets 8 on 3rd nad 10.

The 2-Man route conceps are going to be an adjustment for me. Rodgers throwing balls high and too far outside is something I'm unfortunately all too familiar with.

+++

14th drive: 

We got two first downs in a 4 minute offense setting and held the ball until they only had 15 seconds left in the game. I really liked the call to throw to Davante on the slant in the second sequence. 

This was an impressive drive. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 11

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Good win. It feels like Rodgers finally got his revenge on us.

It wasn't all that pretty though. Both teams have a lot to clean up.

Unfortunately, Minnesota's problem is FAR bigger than Green Bays'.

Enjoy your season!

starting slow and having a coach who refuses to pass the ball?

Jenkins needs to start.  Glad he got time.  Taylor has his moments, and then he gets put on skates.  

Lancaster got moved far too easily today for a guy whose sole responsibility is to stop the run.  There has to be someone better out on the street or on a practice squad.  Time for Keke at the very least.

I'm done with the Graham experiment.  Might as well put a WR on the field that can at least run.

LF got way too cute on multiple play calls.  5 wide with trips TE to one side?  When you're getting 5 or 6 on the ground you need to leave the RB in the backfield to at least make the front 4 think a out the run. This game really concerned me because the offense got favorable 1st down yardage and still stalled.  That can't happen.

It was fun to see vintage Rodgers for 1 quarter at least.  

AARON Jones being used perfectly is also a huge relief.  

Our secondary played as well as I can remember in the last 15 years.  Jair is an absolute stud.  King made a fantastic play to save the game, too.  Cousins certainly helped us out, but the pressure forced some poor throws, too.

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

Having a mental midget of a QB.

yeah he's definitely not the best.  the head coach's insistence on winning "his way" and getting rid of decent offensive coaches is more concerning to me.  Cousins was never a great QB.

Difference this year is the coach and the system he's playing in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The positives:

+ Marcedes Lewis. This was clearly his best game as a Packer. He absolutely owned the Vikings edge rushers and ILBs on those outside zones. He was consistently getting guys reached. This was such a 180 from his last set of games with the Packers that I hardly recognized the guy.

+ Elgton Jenkins held his own. Was very impressed with what he had going on. The Vikings tested him a few times on various stunts and he handled them nicely. As good of a start against a strong front as anybody could have reasonably expected.

+ Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Both were seeing it and running very well today. If we're going to get this level of run blocking and running, it's going to be very very hard for anybody to keep 2 safeties back. 

+ Kenny Clark is a superstar and makes his presence felt every week.

+ Blake Martinez was struggling just to keep it going but he fought through it.

+ Preston Smith might be the best football player outside of the stat sheet that I have ever watched through these first two games. He is absolutely killing it.

+ Z Smith has been exactly what we thought he was when we signed that contract. The Vikings had no answer for him on the inside rushes.

+ Adrian Amos quietly had a very strong performance. Asked to do a lot and handled it all with quiet professionalism.

+ Kevin King and Jaire Alexander were both phenomenal. They both looked like future pro bowlers today. Tramon and Tony were basically invisible today as well which is a positive. 

+ Pettine. God bless you sir. 

+ Darnell Savage in pass defense.

Negatives:

- Darnell Savage in run defense. Fills and open field tackles weren't so good today.

- Dean Lowry in run defense. I get you pay them for pass rush which was strong today, but he and Adams were both less than impressive today.

- Bakhtiari is looking really mortal as a pass protector through two weeks. He got beat clean twice today which never happens.

- Lane Taylor. Buddy, I need you to get fat again. You do not have the anchor to pass protect at 310 or whatever you are at. You were way better off being a solid pass protector and struggling with your reach blocks than you are being mediocre at your reach blocks and getting repeatedly run over in protection. He looks like a different dude this year and I kinda blame the staff. Glad to see Jenkins in here.

- MVS. Hate to do this to the guy, but I need him to find a way to come down with one of those tough catches in the second half or make that 1st down on the crosser. Rodgers also doesn't seem to have gotten over his bromance with Adams.

- Graham. What are we doing here? I genuinely don't know if you are washed up or not because you are legitimately not getting targeted, and when you are it's on sad little out routes. Why aren't you allowed to run vertical anymore?

- Rodgers. You used to have fantastic football IQ. Where the hell is it?

- LaFleur. What the **** was that second half? 

- - - And the worst guy on the field today. Goodson. Wow is this dude scrubtastic. 

+++

The problem with the offense starting after the 3rd drive was just inefficient football.

4th drive: Allison fumble. Whatever. **** happens.

+++

5th drive: Jones run up the middle for 5 yards. Jones run up the middle for 4 yards.

3rd and 1. Come out with 22 personnel. Tonyan on the left, Lewis on the right. The Vikings have 10 defenders, literally both safeties in the box. We do the most predictable thing ever and run the zone lead behind Lewis. Jones gets stuffed at the line. Punt the ball away on 4th and 1.

Badly predictable play call on 3rd and short, and a bad decision to punt on 4th and short.

+++

6th drive: Adams gets the false start. Run a 2-man play action route out of max protect that sees Rodgers hold it for 5 seconds before throwing it to a covered Adams.  

Run 3 WRs to the right, Graham to the left. Graham gets a corner on him, Kumerow as the innermost receiver gets a linebacker. Try to run a bubble screen to MVS despite Kendricks and both CBs being 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. Blocking is terrible, end up losing 4. 

Nobody open, tries to check it down to Graham but ends up getting hit.

Commit the penalty to put yourself behind schedule. Come out with a bad personnel grouping and play call for being behind schedule. Make a terrible read on not changing the bubble screen.

+++

7th drive: Jones run up the middle for 4. Jones run up the middle for 4.

3rd and 2. Run the same flare screen to the slot receiver that failed against Chicago, this time with Allison in that spot and not Graham. Same result. No gain.

4th and 2. Come out with 11 personnel in twins. Line the slot receiver on the left side really close to the tackle so that his DB needs to be accounted for in the zone blocking and then run to that side. Be surprised when 4 defenders fill 4 gaps and there's nowhere for Jones to go on 4th down.

Running the same failed short yardage play on 3rd and 2, and just not understanding spacing on 4th and 2. At least we went for it. 

+++

8th drive:

Rodgers has Davante Adams wide open on a slant and just doesn't throw the ball for no reason. Ends up throwing it away.

Screen Pass gets sniffed out. It happens. 

3rd and 16 from our own 24 with 35 seconds left in the half and we end up doing a roll out that ends in a throw away. 

QB not making throws, and a bad decision to pass instead of run out the clock/Vikings timeouts on 3rd and 16

+++

9th drive:

Too many men in the huddle penalty.

Pitch for 4 yards to get it to 2nd and 11.

Dump off to the RB to get it to 3rd and 8.

Linsley snaps the ball to Rodgers feet. 

Stupid pre-snap penalty and a bad snap. 

+++

10th drive: Come out in 13 personnel.

Williams run up the middle for 3 yards.

Run empty backfield with Davante Adams as the only receiver on the field. Nobody is open with 3 TEs running routes.

Jones and Graham miscommunicate on the blitz pickup and Rodgers chooses to hold the ball despite having Geronimo Allison in the slot get an inside release against Cover-2 with blitzing ILBs. Graham gets charged for the sack here but he thought he had Jones to help him and Rodgers deserved to get clocked here for holding it anyway. 

DON'T PLAY 13 PERSONNEL. Rodgers, throw the ******* ball. 

+++

11th drive: 

Jones run up the middle on 2nd down for a gain of 4.

Rodgers throws the beautiful ball to MVS down the middle which gets tipped out of his hands.

2nd and long run is going to give me drinking problems.

+++

12th drive:

Graham gets called for the softest OPI ever.

Rodgers gets sacked on 2nd and 20.

Throw the dump off to Kumerow for 13 on 3rd and 28. 

We've got a hard on for screen passes which aren't working, but the bad OPI call kills this drive.

+++

13th drive: 

Play action 2-route max protect. Rodgers throws a terrible ball to MVS which sees him get carried out of bounds.

Kendricks makes a great play in coverage to break up a really good looking wheel route.

Underneath cross to MVS gets 8 on 3rd nad 10.

The 2-Man route conceps are going to be an adjustment for me. Rodgers throwing balls high and too far outside is something I'm unfortunately all too familiar with.

+++

14th drive: 

We got two first downs in a 4 minute offense setting and held the ball until they only had 15 seconds left in the game. I really liked the call to throw to Davante on the slant in the second sequence. 

This was an impressive drive. 

Good breakdown

Is anybody still on the Jimmy Graham train here? Should have cut him in the offseason. He's done. 

I didn't see Josh Jackson today or am I wrong? 

Lane Taylor, go sit here (bench), we'll call you if we're in dire straights. Jenkins, you're in. 

Jaire could have had 3 picks today. 

Love our CBs. No weakness on this team when Fitzpatrick is in the secondary next week. NONE! 

Hope Raven Green isn't out for the year, but should be getting Burks back real soon. Maybe not next week but probably the week after I would guess. 

LaFleur has got a lot to learn as a HC. Loved the start but your play calling drive 4 on was bad. Also, take the 3 points there. If would have put it back to a 3 score game. 

Agree with Cheech, Lancaster was not good today. He was on skates. 

The offense stalled after it went off script, but that was a hell of an impressive script from Aaron and LaFleur. We were a GMo fumble away from 28-7 and who knows where the game goes there. Adams false starts and drops a contested catch, MVS drops a contested catch. Rodgers put one high to MVS for a big play and he can't get his feet in, and too short to Jones on a wheel. Big plays were left after the 21 point start that could've made it a 30+ point performance. Baby steps were taken and we're 2-0.

Defensively, somehow we always stop Chi and their run game with legit good interior OL and Minny always breaks runs I feel and they are pretty bad on the interior. Pass rush was good at least.

Goodson looked like a guy who learned the defense a week ago.

King and Alexander have a chance to be special. Tramon should be fitted for his sideline cap and clipboard. Might as well make him assistant DB coach. Guy is done. Play Tony and Jackson.

JK Scott looked human for the most part. Trevor Davis has been freaking terrible. 

We're 2-0, the Vikings, Bears and Lions are not.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I know this one:

What is, "Things I've said to console Vikings fans ever year since Adrian Peterson was drafted"

When's that freaking defense going to age is my question. I feel like the Vikings fans I know have been bragging about Harrison Smith, Griffen, Rhodes, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks and Joseph since 2008.