Packers & Vikings Postgame

Leader

I actually take the offense yesterday as a positive sign. They had their early game plan and executed it cleanly. That says to me time and reps to clean it up should show continued progress. 

Brady and Belicheck have gotten into it too. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Let's not make the same mistake as the last 8 years. "We're 4-1 with division wins so it doesn't matter that the defense is giving up 34 points a game. It's gonna be fine. Why can't you enjoy it." Well it did matter. Every single year it mattered. That's the main premise behind anyone that has concerns about the offense thus far this year. The big picture.

Edited by cannondale

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Being frustrated with play calls is fine.  Acting like a little ***** on national television and shouting at his head coach his not.

Wasn’t half this board saying Randall was immature for doing exactly that?

Somebody just posted an anecdote about Starr politely asking Lombardi not to rip into him in front of the team so that he could be a more effective leader.

WTF do you think it does to LaFleur when Rodgers is openly ****ting his pants frustrated at his head coach?

I’m sick of the double standards here with Rodgers.  

You have literally 0 indication of what was said between the two lol. Give it a rest. Did you read about what they had to say about it in the presser or are you just dismissing that?

Rodgers was at least twice as good as Cousins was today and if that "sucks" then idk what else to tell you. He targeted the RB's 10 times yesterday. You should be ecstatic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Let's not make the same mistake as the last 8 years. "We're 4-1 with division wins so it doesn't matter that the defense is giving up 34 points a game." It did matter. Every single year it mattered. That's the main premise behind anyone that has concerns about the offense this year. The big picture.

Except no one is saying it isn't a long term concern, just that early struggles against good defenses should be expected and we should look for progress. I saw definite improvement in flow and execution this week, even when they weren't scoring points, so all the angst about it is just silly. Does it need to get better? Of course but that was always expected. Most would have said the Packers should be 0-2 before the season BECAUSE of it. Instead, the defense has been better than could have been expected. Overall that's something to be happy about. Not complaining the offense isn't there yet.

45 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

MLF is 2-0 as a rookie head coach vs two quality divisional opponents and he's a negative? Sure he can improve on some things like the challenges, but these were some quality teams wins, not something where Rodgers went out there and won him 2 games doing some crazy **** or something like that. I think he'll get even more comfortable as he gets some more experience.

Yup, he's a negative.

3 quarters of next to nothing on offense yesterday 

Terrible challenge

Miscommunication on a 4th down. 

I'm saying he's going to grow, and the offense will improve. But MLF was a negative yesterday. 

42 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

No we're not. if MLF's offense dosen't score 21 yesterday, pettine gives up 16 and we lose.

Team win.

There are some PACKER fans who are genuinely concerned about the state of the offense, and that is a legitimate concern.

There are some MCCARTHY fans who are looking for any reason to criticize MLF and the Packers and seem bitter about the 2-0 start. 

As for Pettine (who I love), MLF made the decision to hire him on to his staff and MLF gets credit for the play of the defense and special teams just like McCarthy gets credit for all those years of superlative defensive and special teams play under the tutelage of Mac's unparalleled defensive and special teams coordinators Dom and Zook/Slocum.

• Like 1

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

You have literally 0 indication of what was said between the two lol. Give it a rest. Did you read about what they had to say about it in the presser or are you just dismissing that?

Yeah, actually he was asking what he was supposed to do.  Maybe not lose your **** over a 3rd and 16.  If the play isn't there, move on and quit melting down. 

The excuses of McCarthy are over.  We brought in an offensive head coach to rejuvenate the offense and to rejuvenate Rodgers and he is still doing the same **** he was doing with McCarthy.  Holding onto the ball too long, having zero rhythm whatsoever. 

Aaron Rodgers has had 16 games of 300 yards or more in the past 5 years. 

He has averaged 258 passing yards per game over those past 5 years. 

Carolina - 369 yards -  48 attempts - 4 TD 1 INT
Detroit - 333 yards - 61 attempts - 2 TD
Kansas City - 333 yards - 35 attempts - 5 TD

Minnesota - 347 yards - 38 attempts - 4 TD
Detroit - 300 yards - 39 attempts - 4 TD
Washington - 351 yards - 41 attempts
Chicago - 326 yards - 56 attempts - 3 TD
Philadelphia - 313 yards - 39 attempts - 2 TD
Tennessee - 371 yards - 51 attempts - 2 touchdowns, 2 interceptions

Seattle - 311 yards - 42 attempts 1 TD 1 INT
Atlanta - 343 yards - 50 attempts - 2 TD 1 INT
Cincinnati - 313 yards - 42 attempts - 3 TD - 1 INT

Detroit - 442 yards - 52 attempts - 3 TD
San Francisco - 425 yards - 46 attempts 2 TD
Seattle - 332 yards - 30 attempts 2 TD
NY Jets - 442 yards - 55 attempts 2 TD

Looking at the above does not inspire a lot of confidence.  Most of those were against crap teams.  The majority of the good games were against bad teams.  Most of those were games where Rodgers HAD to pass or lose the game.  A lot of those games we lost. 

More alarming than his lack of yardage is his yards per attempt. 

Over the past 5 years, Rodgers has averaged 6.96 yards per attempt. 

Aaron's career average (including the past 5 years) is 7.8 yards per attempt. 

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Yup, he's a negative.

3 quarters of next to nothing on offense yesterday 

Terrible challenge

Miscommunication on a 4th down. 

I'm saying he's going to grow, and the offense will improve. But MLF was a negative yesterday. 

Does he not get credit for the 21 points scored in he first 3 drives?

• Like 2

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

There are some MCCARTHY fans who are looking for any reason to criticize MLF and the Packers and seem bitter about the 2-0 start.

Lol.  *** ******.  Sincerely.  I am not and was not a fan of McCarthy and I acknowledged his faults all the time.  This is not about being a fan of McCarthy, this is about seeing that Rodgers is playing exactly the same with the new super duper ultra awesome offensive mind. 

Further, I'm not criticizing LaFleur, so, as always, you don't know what in the **** you're talking about. 

LaFleur's offense is fine.  He just gave Aaron Jones a career high in rush attempts against a damn good run stopping team and Jones just ran for 116 yards. 

Aaron Jones averaged 5.6 yards per touch.  Rodgers averaged 6.1 yards per attempt.  LaFleur is not the problem. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, actually he was asking what he was supposed to do.  Maybe not lose your **** over a 3rd and 16.  If the play isn't there, move on and quit melting down. 

The excuses of McCarthy are over.  We brought in an offensive head coach to rejuvenate the offense and to rejuvenate Rodgers and he is still doing the same **** he was doing with McCarthy.  Holding onto the ball too long, having zero rhythm whatsoever. 

Aaron Rodgers has had 16 games of 300 yards or more in the past 5 years. 

He has averaged 258 passing yards per game over those past 5 years. 

Carolina - 369 yards -  48 attempts - 4 TD 1 INT
Detroit - 333 yards - 61 attempts - 2 TD
Kansas City - 333 yards - 35 attempts - 5 TD

Minnesota - 347 yards - 38 attempts - 4 TD
Detroit - 300 yards - 39 attempts - 4 TD
Washington - 351 yards - 41 attempts
Chicago - 326 yards - 56 attempts - 3 TD
Philadelphia - 313 yards - 39 attempts - 2 TD
Tennessee - 371 yards - 51 attempts - 2 touchdowns, 2 interceptions

Seattle - 311 yards - 42 attempts 1 TD 1 INT
Atlanta - 343 yards - 50 attempts - 2 TD 1 INT
Cincinnati - 313 yards - 42 attempts - 3 TD - 1 INT

Detroit - 442 yards - 52 attempts - 3 TD
San Francisco - 425 yards - 46 attempts 2 TD
Seattle - 332 yards - 30 attempts 2 TD
NY Jets - 442 yards - 55 attempts 2 TD

Looking at the above does not inspire a lot of confidence.  Most of those were against crap teams.  The majority of the good games were against bad teams.  Most of those were games where Rodgers HAD to pass or lose the game.  A lot of those games we lost. 

More alarming than his lack of yardage is his yards per attempt. 

Over the past 5 years, Rodgers has averaged 6.96 yards per attempt. 

Aaron's career average (including the past 5 years) is 7.8 yards per attempt. 

So you want him to drop back 40 times a game? He looked good in the 1Q, did he not?

Zimmer's a good coach and he made adjustments with a good defense. I would LOVE for him to put up 400 yds and 4 TDs a game too but I don't think this iteration of the offense is at that point yet. 

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Being frustrated with play calls is fine.  Acting like a little ***** on national television and shouting at his head coach his not.

Wasn’t half this board saying Randall was immature for doing exactly that?

Somebody just posted an anecdote about Starr politely asking Lombardi not to rip into him in front of the team so that he could be a more effective leader.

WTF do you think it does to LaFleur when Rodgers is openly ****ting his pants frustrated at his head coach?

I’m sick of the double standards here with Rodgers.  

Dear God, AR isn't the first QB to be upset with his HC and the plays called on TV.  Your constant griping about AR reminds me of Skip Clueless.  smh

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Dear God, AR isn't the first QB to be upset with his HC and the plays called on TV.  Your constant griping about AR reminds me of Skip Clueless.  smh

The difference is those other quarterbacks have been good.  Rodgers has not.  Rodgers has been no better than a very average QB in literally every measurable aspect except TD:INT over the past 5 years.  He is not good.  He hasn’t been good for a very long time.  And your refusal to admit that is a microcosm of Packer fandom that refused to admit that and incorrectly cast the lion’s share of the blame onto a head coach only to find that the same exact issues continue.  

Rodgers holds onto the ball too long.

Rodgers does not keep the offense in rhythm.

Rodgers consistently avoids open receivers looking for more air yards.

Rodgers does not take enough risks.

Rodgers takes too many sacks, harming both his longevity and the offense.

Two head coaches, two offensive schemes, one constant.

6 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

So you want him to drop back 40 times a game? He looked good in the 1Q, did he not?

Zimmer's a good coach and he made adjustments with a good defense. I would LOVE for him to put up 400 yds and 4 TDs a game too but I don't think this iteration of the offense is at that point yet. 

Rodgers averaged under 5 yards per attempt against the worst team in the NFL last year.  What’s the excuse on that one?