The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

1 hour ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Are we really going to pretend that Alexander mattison will match what cook does on the field? It’s surprising to see how undervalued cook is on this forum

The per carry stats were pretty dang close, and Mattison was still a rookie. It's not just about the player, it's about the scheme and return on investment. I hope Cook gets all of the money that he can get, and think that he's as talented as they come. I just don't think that paying him what he wants is a good idea for the Vikings.

• Like 2

I still think giving cook a contract that extends him a couple years in order to give him more guaranteed this year would make sense if the team is adding $10M per year in each of those first couple. Like I mentioned in the earlier discussion with Krauser, I don't really care too much if their are dummy years tacked on and what the non-guaranteed salary is in those years. If Cook wants to give the team some option years at any value it is fine. All that matters to me is the amount of guaranteed salary and the first three years of the total deal.

5 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

And he is only worth 8 million a year. Take it or leave. Vikings need to hold there ground for his 1 year of production so far.

While I sympathize with your overall attitude, they could put in thresholds/qualifiers that would potentially give him up to 121 million a year.  For example: 1500 yds in a season, 15 TD's, 5.0 ypc, etc.

55 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

While I sympathize with your overall attitude, they could put in thresholds/qualifiers that would potentially give him up to 121 million a year.  For example: 1500 yds in a season, 15 TD's, 5.0 ypc, etc.

I don’t think Cook would do that. It seems like he has it in his head that he is the best and wants big money. Yet, in 3 years he made it thru 1 season. If he was close the McCaffrey, then maybe you go around the 11-12 mark. 1 good year doesn’t get you a big contract.

and to be honest, I still wouldn’t go over 8 million just because I see to much value in drafts in the 3-5 rounds were you can get a good back. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I don't think Cook will be agreeing to Gordan money ($8M) anytime soon, tho that's a figure that is good. Keeping it under $10M per year (the gaureenteed portion) hopefully happens

It's hard to imagine Cook getting an average of more than $10M per year guaranteed. I don't think that would happen.

20 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

The per carry stats were pretty dang close, and Mattison was still a rookie. It's not just about the player, it's about the scheme and return on investment. I hope Cook gets all of the money that he can get, and think that he's as talented as they come. I just don't think that paying him what he wants is a good idea for the Vikings.

I think it’s honestly on the contrary of what the dirt sheets say. I don’t think he wants zeke/cmc money. The man was basically our entire offense. He was the reason Adam thielen complained and diggs left, it’s because we operate through him. He is one of the best, if not THE best screen players in the game, he is an excellent runner and a damn good blocker as well. To pretend that he doesn’t deserve to get an extension is absurd to me. Should he get 18 mil a year, hell no. But I wouldn’t be angry with giving the kid 8-10 mil. 

If Cook doesn’t sign an extension before training camp, I think he’s going to be in for a rude awakening at where his market will be. 

Cook is a very good running back, but I can’t call him an outstanding running back, and certainly not an elite running back. His highest value is likely always going to be with the Minnesota Vikings. And the closer he gets to 2021 free agency, with the other dozen or so running backs, the market is going to be very saturated. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I think it’s honestly on the contrary of what the dirt sheets say. I don’t think he wants zeke/cmc money. The man was basically our entire offense. He was the reason Adam thielen complained and diggs left, it’s because we operate through him. He is one of the best, if not THE best screen players in the game, he is an excellent runner and a damn good blocker as well. To pretend that he doesn’t deserve to get an extension is absurd to me. Should he get 18 mil a year, hell no. But I wouldn’t be angry with giving the kid 8-10 mil. 

Where did I say he doesn’t deserve an extension? I acknowledged his talent and want every player to get as much money as possible. I just don’t think that paying him 12-13 mil a year is a good investment. He’s never had a fully healthy season, and you can bolster the team elsewhere and get close production with a cheaper committee approach. I love Cook the player, but only up to a certain price point.

• Like 1

Everyone indicating here in the last page and a half who think that it'll be $10M or less are fooling themselves.  It'll end up closer to $12M than anywhere near the $10M mark.  But, the Vikings will likely get the concession of an earlier out on the deal.  Based on that McCaffrey deal, there's zero chance that it gets anywhere near the $10M mark (which is what I would have considered prior to that).  For $8M, I'd hang up the phone, if I were Cook...and probably is just the Vikings' typical starting lowball offer.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

I know the Vikings haven't signed any of their rookies yet but it looks like we're going to have ~$33M in cap space heading into next offseason. I thinking/hoping Reiff will be playing his last year with the Vikings, cutting him frees up an additional $11.75M so we're talking almost $45M in cap space.

I know this doesn't do much for the cap this year but it looks like the money is there. Who else do we have to re-sign/extend? Harris, O'Neill, and maybe Odenigbo?

I think the team can make it work with $11M to $13M AAV with Cook with an out after a few years.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Everyone indicating here in the last page and a half who think that it'll be $10M or less are fooling themselves.  It'll end up closer to $12M than anywhere near the $10M mark.  But, the Vikings will likely get the concession of an earlier out on the deal.  Based on that McCaffrey deal, there's zero chance that it gets anywhere near the $10M mark (which is what I would have considered prior to that).  For $8M, I'd hang up the phone, if I were Cook...and probably is just the Vikings' typical starting lowball offer.

McCaffrey’s contract is the outlier. It’s not going to reset the market. 

The running backs that are set to become free agents next year is a very long list. A list that I wouldn’t put Cook in the top 3-4. I really don’t see where the market is going to be over $10M.