The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He would be more beloved in Minnesota if he hadn't been so antagonizing towards the local media.  I'm not sure he was on local media for at least 7 or 8 of his 10 years, so we never got to know him as a real person. He always seemed to not be interested in getting to know the people/fans of Minnesota.  It was rather disappointing for me...and I think it's part of the reason why it was so easy to let him go after 1 truly bad season.    

It also never helped that the local Minnesota sports media is about as petty and spiteful as it gets. 

Green never kissed the ring, and they always held it against him. Like they’ve done with many. 

Edited by SemperFeist

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It also never helped that the local Minnesota sports media is about as petty and spiteful as it gets. 

Green never kissed the ring, and they always held it against him. Like they’ve done with many. 

Eh, compared to some other markets, the Minnesota sports media are lightweights. They don't usually get into things that don't warrant attention...I hate the local media here in KC because they are flyweights compared to the Minnesota sports media.  Barely a peep about things like the Breeland thing and got sued for even investigating the Tyreek Hill incident.   The media's job is not to be the cheerleader for the local team (like PA says he is).  Those types of things warrant attention and people like Denny should have just got over it.  You made a mistake with a woman and refused to take responsibility for it and blamed the media for reporting it.  Get over it. (Apparently, he never did as neither did Norm Green).  

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I grew up in LA so I never really knew about how people in Minnesota felt about him. But that’s one of the main things I don’t like about the local media. The fact that they can black-ball people, kind of feels like abuse of power to me. The guy was a football coach, not a politician. I’m sure he was a great person/father and it’s sad that they would ruin his reputation just for their agenda. 

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I grew up in LA so I never really knew about how people in Minnesota felt about him. But that’s one of the main things I don’t like about the local media. The fact that they can black-ball people, kind of feels like abuse of power to me. The guy was a football coach, not a politician. I’m sure he was a great person/father and it’s sad that they would ruin his reputation just for their agenda. 

He didn't like how they reported about his affair with a woman, getting her pregnant and then paying her off (or having another Vikings' employee do it for him).  If he had just taken responsibility for doing so, everyone, including the media, likely would have just moved on...but, he held it against them (and thus indirectly against the fans) by never appearing on local media again.  He failed, like many politicians have even done, in not just apologizing and moving on....we forgive, if not necessarily even forget.  He chose the opposite tactic and it ruined his legacy locally, as far as I'm concerned.  Hell, most people have forgiven and forgotten about what Kirby did after his career...mainly probably because of how he endeared himself to the locals.  

Sorry for derailing the thread, but we needed a little respite from the Dalvin discussion, which was going down a road I don't think anyone was enjoying (not that I'm sure this is helping). :D

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

He didn't like how they reported about his affair with a woman, getting her pregnant and then paying her off (or having another Vikings' employee do it for him).  If he had just taken responsibility for doing so, everyone, including the media, likely would have just moved on...but, he held it against them (and thus indirectly against the fans) by never appearing on local media again.  He failed, like many politicians have even done, in not just apologizing and moving on....we forgive, if not necessarily even forget.  He chose the opposite tactic and it ruined his legacy locally, as far as I'm concerned.  Hell, most people have forgiven and forgotten about what Kirby did after his career...mainly probably because of how he endeared himself to the locals.  

Sorry for derailing the thread, but we needed a little respite from the Dalvin discussion, which was going down a road I don't think anyone was enjoying (not that I'm sure this is helping). :D

Yeah even though it’s derailing the topic it’s good to spread information. Back on the Dalvin Cook topic: I read an article today that Spielman said the extension might happen before training camp. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 1

Spielman has remained pretty consistent in terms of paying his home grown talent, so a Cook extension would not at all be surprising. I would hope for a three year extension, guarantee the base salaries for the fthis year and next, use some of our current cap space to provide a large, guaranteed, roster bonus this year, and add a modest signing bonus.  Fill in the rest with some per-game roster bonuses.

Not likely a deal that he and his representation would accept, but it's the structure I'd push for given his missed time over his first few years, and the short shelf life of RBs

Edited by RpMc

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The level to which Cook is being overrated has become incredible. He’s a talented RB who’s good when healthy. He’s not a uniquely talented player though like a Peterson or McCaffrey. He’s not a top 5 talent at his position and he certainly doesn’t have multiple years of production to justify a long term commitment.

So now there are at least 5 running backs guaranteed that are better than dalvin cook? Sheesh. Before he was injured, the production between cook and Mcaffery were neck and neck, statistics legit show that. He still had a very good year while missing multiple games, and if he did play all 16 he would have been an all pro selection easy. 

55 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

So now there are at least 5 running backs guaranteed that are better than dalvin cook? Sheesh. Before he was injured, the production between cook and Mcaffery were neck and neck, statistics legit show that. He still had a very good year while missing multiple games, and if he did play all 16 he would have been an all pro selection easy. 

So career numbers:

Cook: 2104 yards rushing 17 TD’s

104 rec , 914 yards 2 TD’s

McCaffrey: 2920 yards rushing 24 TD’s

303 rec,  2523 yards 15 TD’s

They are both in the league 3 years and you see Cook getting what McCaffrey got???? 

You do know that McCaffrey has better numbers thru 3 years then Barry Sanders?? 

They are not even close. 

like I said before, 7 million a year is my max offer..

2 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

So career numbers:

Cook: 2104 yards rushing 17 TD’s

104 rec , 914 yards 2 TD’s

McCaffrey: 2920 yards rushing 24 TD’s

303 rec,  2523 yards 15 TD’s

They are both in the league 3 years and you see Cook getting what McCaffrey got???? 

You do know that McCaffrey has better numbers thru 3 years then Barry Sanders?? 

They are not even close. 

like I said before, 7 million a year is my max offer..

You have to consider Cook has played 19 games less than McCaffrey when you look at these stats. McCaffrey has never missed a game in 3 years. Which is why I don’t think they’ll get the same contract. If the Vikings get a deal done between now and training camp, it could be in the $10-12 million range. Which will be a bargain in my opinion. Cook is top 5, let’s stop disrespecting the talent that’s on our team. I know we’re spoiled, we got Adrian Peterson, then Percy Harvin. Cook is kinda like a mix of both. You put AD and Harvin (maybe more of  Harvin) in a blender, you get Cook. Let’s just be more appreciative we get to watch him in a Vikings jersey. 

Edited by Purplepride323

No one is disrespecting talent, that notion has to stop. 

Top 5, top 10s, or whatever are entirely subjective, and everyone has their own criteria. Some who don’t consider Cook a top 5 back,  probably look at the fact that he’s missed a lot of time and hold that against him. 

everyone recognizes how talented Cook is, but reasonable people can disagree on whether that talent is worth paying a premium for a non-premium position, and for a player who’s shown to either get injured or slow down at the end of the year. 

it’s not your, or anyone else’s job, to tell people to stop and smell the roses. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

No one is disrespecting talent, that notion has to stop. 

Top 5, top 10s, or whatever are entirely subjective, and everyone has their own criteria. Some who don’t consider Cook a top 5 back,  probably look at the fact that he’s missed a lot of time and hold that against him. 

everyone recognizes how talented Cook is, but reasonable people can disagree on whether that talent is worth paying a premium for a non-premium position, and for a player who’s shown to either get injured or slow down at the end of the year. 

it’s not your, or anyone else’s job, to tell people to stop and smell the roses. 

Idk man I saw some people here say Dalvin is not special, that he’s average or whatever. I wasn’t generalizing, I never do that. I think we’re all different and we all think somewhat differently. Now for me to say, “Stop and smell the roses” is not my job, but it’s just good advice. You can take it or leave it. Respectfully speaking. I’m just saying my piece. That’s what a forum is for right?

Edited by Purplepride323

So what if they say he’s not special? It’s their opinion and they’re entitled to it, just like you are to yours, without being told “they wouldn’t recognize talent if it hit them in the face.”

just like top five or top ten, “special” is in the eye of the beholder. 

McCaffrey, most people agree, is special because of his absurd statistics, ability on the field, AND his unusual health for the position.

———

Cook has a couple knocks on him in the “special“ category: his health, and the fact that he’s playing within a scheme that has made the likes of Alfred Morris, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Olandis Gary, Stephen Davis, CJ Anderson and Reuben Draughns look like world beaters - now, the latter isn’t his fault, but it’s reasonable for people to be skeptical of Cook for those reasons. 

the people of this forum have largely been together for over a decade, and they’d be more than happy to discuss football with you if you drop the “lol’s” and being unnecessarily over defensive about your opinions. Just my .02 as a former moderator here for a number of years, the posters are used to a high level of quality discussion among people who can still respect those they disagree with. 

You can take that or leave it, but it would likely help with the hostility you’ve been greeted with at times; that and some fact-checking and you’ll be just fine. 

Edited by RpMc