The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wonder how Peterson and Taylor would look in the Stefanski/Kubiak offense. 

Chester Taylor would have been a boss. Peterson would make spectacular plays in his prime regardless of offense, but the system wouldn't have benefited him much since he was not a good pass catcher and was not a very patient runner.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Adrian was/is a 2 yard, -2 yard, 1 yard, 4 yard, -2 yard, 64 yard, 2 yard, 9 yard type of runner. Basically straight ahead into the linebackers/secondary THEN makes people miss.

Cook's vision at the line allows him to pick the right hole and see it coming before it's there so he's constantly getting 5+ yards per carry with minimal losses/stuffs at the line. Like you said, he doesn't have Adrian's power and I don't think he's quite as allusive as AD but his vision gets him to the linebackers consistently.

Adrian is Miguel Sano. May strikeout 4-5 times before hitting a 475 yard blast
Cook is Joe Mauer. Consistently consistent and can hit a homer every once in a while but his bread and butter is singles/doubles.

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Watching Cook, he doesn’t have the power that Peterson had, but he’s got the quickness and the speed. But I actually think that Cook has better vision than Peterson. 

I can't go as far to say that Cook has better vision than Peterson, because Adrian, in his younger years and prime, could find a hole and cut on a dime quicker than many I've seen.  It's only later on that he would often do the straight pounding.  Cook, though, is far superior at cutting without losing any speed, which is where he has a huge advantage on Adrian.  

And maybe it's just me, but I almost find it insulting to compare Cook to Mauer.  Cook hits more homers (in a football sense) at a far greater frequency than Mauer ever could...hell,  Cook even tries to do so more often...Mauer didn't even care to try, averaging less than 10 homers a year.

I think Cook's vision is better too in the open field. He's a better judge of db angles and eliminating them. There's no question that Peterson was the stronger, more violent, more explosive runner though. Watching Peterson bust a long run was one of the most thrilling things in sports when he was in his prime. Dalvin has had a few big plays, but is much more workman like in his approach. I'm very happy that we are rarely seeing negative rushing plays. That helps the OL so much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:57 PM, the_cote_kid said:

Cook is great, but the system defo helps. Mattison and Boone also looking good is testament to that i think.

Love how physical he is finishing runs but will always be that nagging worry that it leads to an injury.

We go as far as the running game and defense takes us.

See I dunno about that. What if Mattison is actually really darn good? Some plays should have been negative stops and Mattison created holes with patience and smart running. I think he is a starting caliber rb tbh. After being bullied by cook, the defense has to deal with a fresh workhorse like Mattison. That kid is no joke!

Dalvin is special tho 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 5:57 PM, the_cote_kid said:

Cook is great, but the system defo helps. Mattison and Boone also looking good is testament to that i think.

Well of course it helps, but that shouldn't take away from Cook (not saying you are, but it could be perceived that way).

It's a great offensive system. It's been great for Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns, Steve Slaton, Arian Foster, Justin Forsett. All were 1,000-yard rushers in this system. Kubiak has had a few seasons with two 900+ yard RBs too.

I mentioned this in the game thread, but breaking tackles is such an underrated skill and it's one that Cook has in spades. To me it's what can separate the great from the good, even in a system like ours.

• Like 1

Breaking down the remaining run defenses (by yards per attempt allowed entering Week 5).

vs. Philadelphia - 3rd, 3.2
at Detroit - 24th, 4.8
vs. Washington - 22nd, 4.7
at Kansas City - 32nd, 5.9
at Dallas - 19th, 4.6
vs. Denver - 30th, 5.1
at Seattle - 16th, 4.3
vs. Detroit - 24th, 4.8
at LA Chargers - 15th, 4.2
vs. Green Bay - 29th, 5.0
vs. Chicago - 2nd, 3.0

On 9/24/2019 at 4:43 AM, Virginia Viking said:

'Am I reading some in this thread thinking that Cook is not a power back?  He may not be AD but he's plenty powerful and punishing when finishing a run.

i notice that many of his plays are whistled dead while he's still standing up.