The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

31 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

RB’s are a dime a dozen.... Very true.

I am not sure that I can agree with you.  RB's are available all through the draft, but like every other position on the field, really productive running backs are few and far between.  The position has changed, but it's no less important.  Backs today might earn more yards in the passing game than the running game.  Backs today are often downfield lead blockers for receivers.  They are asked to do less running and be more diverse in their skill set.  As far as being more diverse than the "traditional" running back, Cook ticks the boxes.   If you were to ask him to carry the ball 30 times a game and average 5 yards a carry, he's not your man.  But then again, neither is Alvin Kamara.

I hope that the traditional running game comes back to popularity. I miss Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Earl Campbell.  I miss Czonka bulldozing over people and OJ making tacklers look silly.  I miss Roger Craig's high knee running style and John Riggins busting loose on a counter trey!

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am not sure that I can agree with you.  RB's are available all through the draft, but like every other position on the field, really productive running backs are few and far between.  The position has changed, but it's no less important.  Backs today might earn more yards in the passing game than the running game.  Backs today are often downfield lead blockers for receivers.  They are asked to do less running and be more diverse in their skill set.  As far as being more diverse than the "traditional" running back, Cook ticks the boxes.   If you were to ask him to carry the ball 30 times a game and average 5 yards a carry, he's not your man.  But then again, neither is Alvin Kamara.

I hope that the traditional running game comes back to popularity. I miss Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Earl Campbell.  I miss Czonka bulldozing over people and OJ making tacklers look silly.  I miss Roger Craig's high knee running style and John Riggins busting loose on a counter trey!

But, the position has changed drastically. Most team use multiple backs in there system. That’s why I think it’s a lot easier to find them later. You don’t rotate QB’s, O-lineman, CB’s or S. So, to me, it’s harder to find players that have to stay out there all the time. And if we do find them via draft or FA, then those are the guys I would rather pay the big money.

8 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

RB's are available all through the draft, but like every other position on the field, really productive running backs are few and far between. 

The position has changed, but it's no less important. 

I think the second statement is true, but not the first. Finding productive running backs is easier than it's ever been, even if they only last 2-3 years. 

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I think the second statement is true, but not the first. Finding productive running backs is easier than it's ever been, even if they only last 2-3 years. 

That's the problem...I personally don't like, nor do I think it's all that "productive", to have to replace RBs every 2-3 years.  I'd rather just ride one for as long as is possible and then replace them.  And I think that can be done effectively if the NFL teams does the appropriate thing and handles the RB like the NBA does with their "load management" style.  Maybe only 250-300 carries a season instead of the 400+ that killed the careers of guys like DeMarco Murray and Larry Johnson.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 6:17 AM, swede700 said:

That's the problem...I personally don't like, nor do I think it's all that "productive", to have to replace RBs every 2-3 years.  I'd rather just ride one for as long as is possible and then replace them.  And I think that can be done effectively if the NFL teams does the appropriate thing and handles the RB like the NBA does with their "load management" style.  Maybe only 250-300 carries a season instead of the 400+ that killed the careers of guys like DeMarco Murray and Larry Johnson.  

I think we justified this approach when we drafted Mattison in the 3rd round. To get a RB2 with such a high pick, it just goes to show how important it is not to overuse a RB. Cook & Mattison could be the best RB duo in the league this year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cook can hold out. He really doesn’t have the leverage.

But, the timing of this “holdout” isn’t a coincidence, either. I’m not entirely sure of the virtual, covid based schedule, but if it follows a typical offseason, they’d be done until training camp about now anyways.

Edited by SemperFeist

11 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

So far so good.

Cook asking for +$16M is perfect right.

Mattison here's the ball

Are we really going to pretend that Alexander mattison will match what cook does on the field? It’s surprising to see how undervalued cook is on this forum