The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

52 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Chubb should be no lower than 5th. Jacobs is too low. Aaron Jones is missing, he's at least better than Bell. Kamara and Henry are too high. 

45 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Is this based on analytics, eye test, relative value? I don't really have a problem with someone saying Le'Veon Bell is better than Aaron Jones, or that Derrick Henry is better than Nick Chubb. I probably wouldn't have a problem with the opposite either. I think there are a lot of really good running backs all pretty close to each other. 

Cook seems about right to me - borderline top 5.

Funny, I would have put Henry higher on the list.

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Is this based on analytics, eye test, relative value? I don't really have a problem with someone saying Le'Veon Bell is better than Aaron Jones, or that Derrick Henry is better than Nick Chubb. I probably wouldn't have a problem with the opposite either. I think there are a lot of really good running backs all pretty close to each other. 

Cook seems about right to me - borderline top 5.

Let’s be honest, 4-10 are just names in a hat. 

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Let’s be honest, 4-10 are just names in a hat. 

Agreed. At that position the order of the top ten changes so much year to year it is hardly worth ranking them against each other. A year ago Bell might have been at the top and Cook might not have been in the top ten. Ahead of him could have been guys like Gordon and Gurley. Kareem Hunt fell off for reasons. Perhaps Conner would have been listed in the top 10, depending on who was making the list. David Johnson could still be projected to rebound and placed in the top ten.  Devonta Freeman likely was being ranked ahead of Cook at least some of time time. Leonard Fournette too. LeSean McCoy? People prone to base their opinion off PFF could have looked at how many RBs PFF ranked ahead of Cook for the 2018 season. There are so many ways things could have gone.

That all lack of consistency in ranking year-to-year goes to underscore why teams ought to be extremely careful when giving a RB a contract that pays him in the top ten.

The only sure thing is that however these RBs are ranked right now will see considerable changes by the time Cook's rookie contract expires. Cook might want to lock in now, but if he waits until he is a free agent he may be worth a lot more if he has a year this year like Henry had last year. On the other hand, he might see his value drop like the change Todd Gurley saw from the end of the '18 season to the end of the '19 season.

For Cook, the risk of gambling is tremendous. If things go the wrong way for him he'll never again have the kind of earning potential he has right now. For the Vikings, the risk isn't nearly as high. If things don't work out with Cook there will be other RBs. Cook would have to have balls of steel to turn down a contract that guarantees him $16M on a three year $24M extension. If he has the cajones and it works out for him I would tip my hat to him for betting on himself and winning. That would be great for him.

Edited by Cearbhall
Balls of steel. Not big dangly balls. Pradon the imagery conjured.

54 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ewwwwww.

If they dangle that much at age 24, imagine the low hangs he'll have when he is pushing 60. Know what I mean?

I may have used the wrong expression. It might not mean what I thought it meant. I meant to use the idiom "balls of steel". That matches the meaning I was trying to convey. Sorry for using the wrong expression.

Edited by Cearbhall

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The deal that Henry signed should be a ceiling for what Cook can expect if he waits until next year. If he signs before this season with a year left on his contract I would think Cook would get a fair amount less.

I don't think so, because he can do what Henry can not...and that's catch the ball.  If he waits until next year, then he'll get less, because of the all the competition in the open market.  As I said on Twitter in response to Coller, I think he'd get a little less than Henry because of the injury history, but not significantly less (like $9M as one responder said).  

38 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think so, because he can do what Henry can not...and that's catch the ball.  If he waits until next year, then he'll get less, because of the all the competition in the open market.  As I said on Twitter in response to Coller, I think he'd get a little less than Henry because of the injury history, but not significantly less (like $9M as one responder said).  

Sounds like a great reason for the Vikings to wait until after this season. It is hard to see a reason for them to move before this season unless they are getting something in return for taking the risk from Cook for the year. I wouldn't extend him unless he was getting less guaranteed than Henry got on his deal. Also, I wouldn't do the deal unless it paid out less in the first couple years of the extension than what Henry is getting in his first couple years.

• Like 1

Henry’s extension came in at $50M/4. That $12.5M AAV will probably be the ceiling for the extensions for the rest of the second tier of RBs (including Cook), who are negotiating in the final year of their rookie contracts, not starting with the fully guaranteed $10M+ franchise tag that was the fallback for Henry.

Based on this deal, I think Cook will end up with an AAV around $11M, and less guaranteed money. 

9 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It is hard to see a reason for them to move before this season unless they are getting something in return for taking the risk from Cook for the year.

The benefit for the Vikings is avoiding a holdout by their star RB — the current face of the franchise who’s making basically the same money as the punter. The leverage of extending him a year early should allow them to get him on a cheaper deal.