The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

19 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Some good reading here....especially about Cook, Bradbury and the Vikings offensive line.

It seems that quite a few of them, most notably that SSG guy, are completely clueless.  Some others apparently know absolutely nothing about the Vikings, which is somewhat understandable, but then act like they're speaking the truth.  But, then again, how a thread about Aaron Jones devolved into a discussion on Cook and the Vikings' offensive line is quite interesting.  I know we have a tendency to do that as well on occasion...it's nice to see that they must be feeling the pressure and insecurity of the Vikings breathing down their necks.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Have we seen Cook and Mattison on the field at the same time yet? I know we've seen Cook and Abdullah, where Abdullah lines up more so as a WR or TE, but I think having both top backs in could be fun.

Does Kubiak run that sort of stuff?

Saving it for the playoffs!!!!!

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

What are going to need to pay this guy? Do we?

I’d assume he is looking at being the highest paid RB given he is a dual purpose threat. I think we have to wait a year though, we’ve only gotten one healthy year out of Cook.

Edited by vikingsrule

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

What are going to need to pay this guy? Do we?

it's going to be SUPER interesting this offseason. the 2017 draft class was loaded for running backs and only two (McCaffrey and Fournette) were first round picks and will have their fifth year options picked up. that means that dalvin cook, alvin kamara, joe mixon, james conner, aaron jones and chris carson will all be eligible for extensions. that's six of the league's most productive running backs all probably playing the waiting game to see who sets the market and the following contracts will just trump the other. 

currently the highest cap hits for running backs in 2021 (when the extension would kick in) is elliott, bell, gurley and david johnson ranging from $13.7 million to $12 million. their AAV are all between $13 million and $15 million, and i doubt we'd be able to extend cook for less than $14 million AAV.

as much as i love cook it just scares me to commit that much to a running back given the track record of their productivity falling off after their rookie contracts. if we sign him to big money and there's a significant amount of guaranteed money past the second year of the extension then it will very likely come back to bite us. 

• Like 2

Could always use the franchise tag and pay him as a top 5 RB for his fifth year. I’d rather do that than to commit to paying a RB upwards of $15 million per year for multiple years. Mattison looks more than capable as a runner, which kind of shows that you don’t need to invest in the position if the OL is clicking. Obviously Cook’s dynamic as a receiver and that’s what you’re paying a premium for.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

I think a lot of what happens with Cook's contract situation is tied to what happens with Cousins. If Cousins gets a 2nd contract, it will probably be in the $33-37 million dollar range (depending on when the deal gets done). It's going to be hard to give Dalvin $13-15 million with so much tied up elsewhere on the offense. If we let Kirk walk and commit to a rookie contract QB, then I see him coming back on a market value deal. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2019 at 2:44 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Have we seen Cook and Mattison on the field at the same time yet? I know we've seen Cook and Abdullah, where Abdullah lines up more so as a WR or TE, but I think having both top backs in could be fun.

Does Kubiak run that sort of stuff?

After reading your post, he will now ;)

• Like 1

Question for you guys. So his first season, dalvin was leading the league in rushing before he got injured and tore his acl. We knew he would be special when he got healthy. Could he possibly surpass all day? He can do more than Adrian could tbh. Now he is not as dynamic a runner as Adrian was (albeit Adrian is possibly the greatest pure runner of all time) but he is special and   his pass blocking and danger as a receiver a head and shoulders over his. What say you guys?

8 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Question for you guys. So his first season, dalvin was leading the league in rushing before he got injured and tore his acl. We knew he would be special when he got healthy. Could he possibly surpass all day? He can do more than Adrian could tbh. Now he is not as dynamic a runner as Adrian was (albeit Adrian is possibly the greatest pure runner of all time) but he is special and   his pass blocking and danger as a receiver a head and shoulders over his. What say you guys?

Longevity is the question. A lot of RB's flame out after a few good seasons. The hits take a toll, and the physical gifts fade.

Adrian is one of the most physically gifted humans to ever play the position. I don't think Dalvin's physical gifts are on that level. Could he have a stretch of years that are more productive than any of Peterson's? Perhaps, but I do not see him having the long-term career that Peterson has had. 

That said, he's more gifted that Frank Gore or Emmitt Smith were. And they did alright...

• Like 2