The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

• 2 weeks later...

Only caught the tail end of it on SKOR NORTH but Darren "Doogie" Wolfson of KSTP/SKOR NOrth said his "sources" say that Cook will want a bigger contract than Zeke Elliot's 6-year $90 million ($50 million guaranteed).

Love Cook to death but I'm letting him walk if that's what he wants....

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 4

Obviously no RB is worth that kind of money.

Cook's as good as any back in the league, but he's been injury prone -- assuming he's shut down until the playoffs, he'll only have played 29 games in 3 years. No way should the Vikings pay him on a premium long term extension. 

If Cook isn't willing to play next year without an extension, they can trade him. The offense would still be in good shape with Mattison, Boone and an 3rd/4th round rookie RB.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Cook isn’t worth extending. I’d actually look to trade him this offseason. 

I’m leaning towards this as well if I can get a second round pick. He can’t stay healthy and he’s been ineffective as a runner down the stretch. I think Mattison and Boone can handle the bulk of the carries. Find a versatile receiver who can return punts and we’d have a good trio to work with at a fraction of the cost. 

31 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Obviously no RB is worth that kind of money.

Cook's as good as any back in the league, but he's been injury prone -- assuming he's shut down until the playoffs, he'll only have played 29 games in 3 years. No way should the Vikings pay him on a premium long term extension. 

If Cook isn't willing to play next year without an extension, they can trade him. The offense would still be in good shape with Mattison, Boone and an 3rd/4th round rookie RB.

i think mccaffrey is the only worth an argument to deserve paying big money to. but even then there's a huge question of his durability going forward given his insane usage so far and the math behind value returned from skill players on big contracts. 

honestly i love cook as much as the next guy but paying him premium money is a huge mistake, and it's one i really think it's one the vikings might make given how long they held on to AP despite so many signs saying not to. personally i'd be okay with trading him this offseason or letting him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then collecting a juicy compensatory pick. 

personally i'd rather they let cook play out his contract because i think cousins can "manage" an offense to elite status given the weapons but i don't think he's the type to carry an offense with sub-par personnel. while it kicks their draft compensation further down the road, it gives them more of an "all out" chance with so many of their mainstays aging. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Only caught the tail end of it on SKOR NORTH but Darren "Doogie" Wolfson of KSTP/SKOR NOrth said his "sources" say that Cook will want a bigger contract than Zeke Elliot's 6-year $90 million ($50 million guaranteed).

Love Cook to death but I'm letting him walk if that's what he wants....

I'd trade him this offseason while he has a lot of value.  He's a good player, but running backs aren't all that tough to replace.

• Like 1

We talk about trading him, but I think the chances of that happening are probably less than 1% unless he suffers another big injury in 2020.

Spielman likes to showcase his top dawgs and wants to show incoming free agents that there is a good culture here in Minnesota. Letting a star RB go after their rookie year or trading them away before then makes us look bad.

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

We talk about trading him, but I think the chances of that happening are probably less than 1% unless he suffers another big injury in 2020.

Spielman likes to showcase his top dawgs and wants to show incoming free agents that there is a good culture here in Minnesota. Letting a star RB go after their rookie year or trading them away before then makes us look bad.

i don't think you're paying attention here... the speculation of trading him revolves around the speculation of him demanding a roster breaking contract.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I, for one, actually wouldn't trade him, but let him play out the contract.  They likely aren't going to get a top 2-round pick, so they're better off if they just let him walk and possibly pick up a comp pick.  

Ideally he'd play out his rookie deal next year, but if he holds out, they should trade him even if the return is meagre. 

I don't hate the idea of giving Cook a Rudolph-style extension that looks good on paper but is effectively just one more year tacked on to his existing deal with a bunch of team options afterward, but there's no way they should get into the deep waters of ~$15M cap hits and a dead money hangover for 3-4 years like the Cowboys did with Elliott.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Torchezim said:

If Cook was traded, what team do you think would give up the most for him?

What could we get?

I could see the Patriots, Bills or Steelers trading for him.

Could certainly see him going wherever Stefanski ends up. Though, not Cleveland or Carolina. I’d expect a contender to consider making a move for him, a team that might be able to afford the luxury of a RB like Cook. Could see him being a great fit with the Chiefs.