The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

He is a running back, not a slot receiver (like Ekeler was last year). The RBs who routinely get used as downfield targets play in spread systems. Those RB routes are not more valuable than having an actual WR running those same routes. 

The drop rate isn’t a big deal, doesn’t typically project forward as a reliable indicator. 

I think you’re just about the only one who wouldn’t rank him at or very near the top.

That’s what separates McCaffrey, Barkley, Kamara, Elliott from the others. They can do everything. 

I think they could put Nick Chubb, Joe Mixon, Aaron Jones, and a number of other backs in this system and get pretty much the same results. 

Cook is special as a runner with the ball in his hands. I just don’t think he’s worth that much money. its not my money and I’m glad a player is cashing in, I just think the team would do better to spend it elsewhere.

I don’t care about statistical indicators for drop rate - watch the plays. He’s not a great pass catcher.

i genuinely hope this works out for both sides, but I don’t think it will.

Contract Notes

Dalvin Cook signed a 5 year contract extension with the Minnesota Vikings on September 12, 2020.  Extension is worth $63 million in new money with a litt over $16.3 million fully guaranteed at signing including a $15,506,361 signing bonus and fully guaranteed 2020 base salary..  Cook has an additional $11.8 million in injury and vesting guarantees (awaiting details on vesting schedule).  Cook can earn up to $500,000 ($31,250 per game active) in roster bonus pay per year in 2021-2025.  Cook also has $100,000 work out bonuses in 2021-2025.

https://overthecap.com/player/dalvin-cook/5627/

Per game roster bonuses are something that I think a lot of us thought would/should be in the contract, and would be a way to offset some of the cap the following year should Cook miss time.  If Cook were to play in 14 games this year (as he did last year), $1,000,000 of those per game roster bonuses would fall under NLTBE incentives and wouldn't count against the cap for 2021, and so on down the line.

Are the vested guarantees, the salary guarantees?

Oh it looks like the supposedly guaranteed salaries aren't actually guaranteed. This has happened before: Diggs and Hunter's extensions were initially announced with higher guaranteed numbers than was actually the case. Turned out they were only guaranteed for injury, not fully guaranteed. 

Effectively it's $20M in additional cap hits (above the $2M he had originally in 2020) over the next 3 years (first 2 years of the extension), with a $6.2M dead cap liability remaining beyond that (would apply if released before 2023).

So that's ~$26.2M/2 for 2021-22. If you like to think of the last year of the rookie deal as part of the extension, it's ~$28M/3 for 2020-22. 

2023 would be an additional $11M in salary and bonuses, with a cap number of $14.1M and nearly $8M in cap savings if released. If he's kept on the roster that long, the deal is effectively $37M/3 for 2021-23, or $39M/4 for 2020-23, including a $3M residual dead cap charge for 2024. 

He's very unlikely to see the last 2 years of the deal, with $15.6M cap hit in 2024 vs $3.1M dead, and $13.5M in 2025 with zero dead. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Per the NFL, Cook’s 252 yards from scrimmage in a 34-20 win over the Lions coupled with 225 yards from scrimmage in last week’s upset of the Packers, coupled with his two touchdowns today and four from last weekend, makes him only the third player in league history to have 225 or more yards from scrimmage and two or more touchdowns in consecutive games.

Jim Brown did it in 1963, and Deuce McAllister duplicated it in 2003.

Cook also matched Emmitt Smith by scoring a rushing touchdown in each of his first seven games of the season. Cook’s 12 rushing touchdowns in seven games are fourth most in league history, behind Jim Brown (14 in 1958) and Emmitt Smith and Priest Holmes, who had 13 rushing touchdowns in seven games in 1995 and 2004, respectively.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/08/dalvin-cook-joins-short-list-of-highly-productive-players/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Dalvin Cook has 858 yards in 7 games played. Derrick Henry has 843 yards in 8 games played. Josh Jacobs and Clyde Edwards-Helaire are next with 588 and 586 yards....both have played 9 games.

Impressive.  Cook is the best back in the NFL currently.  It is also important to acknowledge the improvement in run blocking by the OL, the receivers and the fullback.  Kubiak and Dennison have done an excellent job of getting the linemen to execute their zone blocks and then quickly move downfield continuing to block.  the young guys, Cleveland, Bradbury and O'Neill are particularly good at downfield blocking.  Cook is the beneficiary!  But the line also benefits from his vision as a runner, and how quick he is able to burst through a hole.  The run game is the best part of this team, by far.  Let's see how far it can carry the Vikings.

I'd still take McCaffrey and Barkley over Cook, but he's definitely in that top tier based on his performance so far. As a staunch "don't pay Cook" team member, he's made me feel a lot better about the Vikings paying him (I still wouldn't have done it). To stay up in that top tier he needs to stay healthy AND keep up the production late in the year. He's never done that. 

Watching him and Jefferson work has been a bright spot for me on Sundays.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I'd still take McCaffrey and Barkley over Cook, but he's definitely in that top tier based on his performance so far. As a staunch "don't pay Cook" team member, he's made me feel a lot better about the Vikings paying him (I still wouldn't have done it). To stay up in that top tier he needs to stay healthy AND keep up the production late in the year. He's never done that. 

I hear you.  But I think Cook is just as talented as McCaffrey and Barkley...and now neither of them can stay healthy.

18 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I think it’s a realistic argument to say cook is better than those two, which makes me feel great to say we have him lol.