The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

I think Cook may be even more fun to watch than Peterson.

It's like choosing a favorite between Superman and Batman. 

Peterson wasn't human.  He had super powers that defied a weak OL and eight in the box play after play.  You almost had to have 12 men on defense to make it fair.

Cook seems more human.  Kind of like a Batman...  no super powers.  Just athleticism, great instincts, and a man on a mission.

• Like 5

It’s no secret that Dalvin Cook is in the midst of a Pro Bowl season, and it seems fans around the league have taken notice. The NFL released its first edition of Pro Bowl votes this week, and the Vikings running back appears to be in a good spot to garner his first Pro Bowl selection.

Cook ranks fourth overall in the league with 106,167 fan votes so far, a number that also has him as highest-voted running back in either conference.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-dalvin-cook-ranked-1st-among-rbs-in-pro-bowl-voting?sf224227182=1

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, VikeManDan said:

What are going to need to pay this guy? Do we?

I'm running under the current assumption that he's not going to want to be extended after this season and take the chance on himself to stay healthy enough to put up a similar season and get even more money.  Right now, his health track record is what would keep his contract lower.  Whoever signs Melvin Gordon will set the floor for a Cook contract (as Cook is going to deserve more than him).  I do agree with what someone else said, is that what happens with Kirk will determine a lot about what happens with Cook.  If they decide to extend him to lower his cap number (and if he's willing to do so), that could free up some cash...but also we'll have to see what they do with Reiff, Linval, Everson and Xavier, as those will have an impact too.

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d look into trading Cook before extending him. 

RBs are typically under compensated on the trade market, so I’d doubt the return would be worth it. Now if I was offered a known top 15 pick, that would be something to mull over. Mattison has ran well behind this OL too. He’s averaging 4.8 yards per carry. He’s certainly not at Cook’s level, but if I could get a top 15 pick and add a stud shutdown CB or edge rusher or LT, for a RB looking for a big payday, it’s something to consider. Although, it’s a huge gamble because you might end up with another Trae Waynes and be underwhelmed.

Paying RBs is generally a bad idea, but in Cook's case it makes sense. 

He contributes a lot to the passing game. A big part of the success of the Vikings screen game has come from Cook making the first guy miss. He leads the league in PFF's avoided tackles stat (which also includes broken tackles) on receptions. 

He's also been very good as a running back. He has very few negative plays, and seems to consistently make good reads on one-cut zone run plays. He's been good in short yardage and at the goal line. 

Cook is only 24 (same age Peterson was in 2009, his 3rd season). He doesn't have much usage since he missed time with injuries, only 421 carries so far. He should be able to produce for several more years. 

A contract extension probably won't be too expensive, and can be structured so the dead cap / guaranteed money doesn't stretch much past the 2nd year of the deal (meaning 3 more years after this season). Keeping Cook would keep the balance of the offense with Thielen/Diggs locked up, and Cousins seemingly likely to be extended too.

• Like 1