The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

I completely disagree. I don’t think he should get zeke type of money, but he is extremely special out there. Most of our successful passing attempts have been from play action, and who has been our running back in those moments? Dalvin is a tremendous talent and it would be foolish of us to “trade him” because we don’t want to spend money.

25 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Could certainly see him going wherever Stefanski ends up. Though, not Cleveland or Carolina. I’d expect a contender to consider making a move for him, a team that might be able to afford the luxury of a RB like Cook. Could see him being a great fit with the Chiefs.

Ugh, I wouldn’t want their first or 2nd round pick but that does seem to be the most plausible.

Also, I’m hoping Stefanski doesn’t go anywhere. He can take over for Zimmer when he decides to leave.  

5 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Most of our successful passing attempts have been from play action, and who has been our running back in those moments? 

Play action success doesn't depend on who the RB is, or how good the running game is. 

Several of their biggest PA passes this year have come with Mattison in the backfield. Or last week, Abdullah: 

Cook's an excellent runner and a good receiving back especially on screens. But his value in the play action game is the same as any other NFL quality RB. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Ugh, I wouldn’t want their first or 2nd round pick but that does seem to be the most plausible.

No one's trading a top 50 pick for a RB with one year left on his rookie deal. They'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for Cook next year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krauser said:

No one's trading a top 50 pick for a RB with one year left on his rookie deal. They'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for Cook next year.

If I can get in the back half of round two by trading Cook, I’d be pretty happy. Having a first, 2 seconds and 2 thirds (comp pick?) would go a long ways towards improving the interior DL and Cb situation. Could grab another OL and edge rusher too.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If I can get in the back half of round two by trading Cook

When's the last time a RB was traded for that much? Especially one with just one more year of team control?

I think the best they'd be able to expect is a late 3rd, and more likely a 4th/5th. Rather let him play out his deal if he's willing to, but better to move him if he's going to hold out and cause a distraction. 

There are only a small number of teams that would realistically look at Cook. You can't pay him Zeke money if you need to sign a young QB to an extension. I could see Houston, Miami, Philly or Indy being interested, as they have no QB taking up a huge chunk of space (except Wentz - whose deal isn't terrible) and have a need at RB.  Houston has the space to sign Watson and Cook, but that's a lot to have invested.

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

As I said, that seems to be the most plausible. Even though I’m not a fan of it.  And you’re not correct.  Someone (one of the 32 teams) would trade for an elite RB in their early 20s.  Especially teams that can afford to and believe they’re just a playmaker away.  

That statement just isn’t true at all.  I wouldn’t plan on getting a first round pick for Cook but to say it just can’t happen, like you know for sure, is ill advised imo. 

Edited by Torchezim

I would be so disappointed if the management ends up offering a big contract. There have been so much evidence around the league that RBs are mostly replaceable. Just do not make some stupid mistake by giving him huge contract and end up regretting in the future. Dalvin also hasn't had a big game rushing wise for almost 2 months now. Not exactly his fault but at the end of the day, your OLine run blocking and scheme are lot more important for your run game to flourish well. Just invest money in OL rather than giving big contract to Dalvin. I don't mind trading him or letting him walk after his rookie contract finishes. Good thing is that he seems very popular across the league and flashy. Also perception among casuals seems to be that Dalvin is carrying our offense ( lol). So there will be some team willing to pay him good money

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Torchezim said:

Someone (one of the 32 teams) would trade for an elite RB in their early 20s

Have there been any similar trades recently in the NFL?

Elite young players at premium positions (Cooper, Mack, Ramsey) have returned 1st round picks or more. RBs, not so much. Last RB I can think of that was traded for a 1st round pick was Trent Richardson, and that deal was a fiasco for the Colts -- unlikely to be repeated unless Spielman is lucky enough to find a Grigson-level idiot to negotiate with. 

Closest recent comparable I can think of for Cook is Jay Ajayi, who had 1272 yards rushing and 8 total TDs in his 2nd season in Miami. Eagles got him halfway through his 3rd year for a 4th round pick. Cook is better than Ajayi but not so much better that he's worth a much higher pick with only one year left on his rookie deal.

• Like 1

If we are talking about what we would be willing to trade Cook away for, I wouldn't trade him away for anything less than a third round pick. At the same time, I would be surprised if a team gave up anything significantly more than a third for him. I could see a team giving up high third and a low round pick. We know how much Spielman likes his low round picks.  I could also see a team in the back of the second trading away their second round pick for Cook. 

It is hard for me to imagine a team parting with more than that and think the greater likelihood is that the Vikings wouldn't find a team to trade a third for Cook.

And I would be just fine with that. More than anything, I like the thought of Cook on the team next year and then signing a nice contract as a free agent after that. With a good year next year he could command a big enough contract to get the Vikings a third round compensatory pick. Although, I think it is more likely the contract he signs would be at a lower round compensatory level. That is partially because the likelihood that he doesn't play 16 games next year. It is also partially because even if he does he may not have good enough stats to justify the contract it would take to be worth a 3rd round compensatory pick.  According to OTC, last year the lowest contract they projected at a third round level was $11M per year. Adjust that up around 10% this year and again next and it would seem Cook would need to sign a contract worth over $13M per year to be at the 3rd round level. Not many RBs are worth that; he would have to be elite next year to get anything around that.

Leveon Bell signed a contract that slotted him at a third round level. It didn't take the Jets long to regret that. They fired their GM in part because that disagreement. I do not think that Bell will be on the Jets opening day roster next year. If we are talking about trading RBs after this year, the market likely includes the Jets trading away Bell.  I do not think think they will get more than a 3rd round pick for him.

I think the Vikings best chance of trading away Cook is to market the potential compensatory considerations a team can gain after renting Cook for a year. They may get a team to trade them a third if that team thinks they would recoup a fourth after losing him. The compensatory considerations are something that some teams value highly.

I happen to value compensatory considerations too so my preference would be to let Cook play out his contract with the Vikings, then offer him a contract at the top of the fifth round compensatory level (~$8MM this year) . If he gets a better offer than that, let him go and be happy with the 4th round pick.  In other words, if Cook has a good year he likely would be leaving asI would be selling high, but if he has a down year I would bring him back on buy-low deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Dalvin Cook missed the final two games of the season due to the injury and said on Wednesday that he’s feeling fresher as a result of the recent time off. He’s also feeling no limitations as a result of the injury. Cook produced 1,654 yards from scrimmage and 13 touchdowns before he got injured.

Cook: “I feel refreshed. I’m going to be ready to go. I’m going to be at full strength. Looking forward to a good football game.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/01/dalvin-cook-im-going-to-be-at-full-strength/

I love dalvin cook but honestly I think the best course of action is to let him play out his rookie contract and let him walk as a FA. Hope a team signs him to enough that we get a third round comp pick the following year.

Draft another round 3-4 RB the offseason he leaves and call it a day with them and Mattison as a committee. 

• Like 4