How are the refs so awful

Breesus mode

PI being reviewable was a bad idea from the start. Although the overturn on Diggs was technically the right call it is just stupid to have to sit there and wait for a review to say "No TD" when no penalty was thrown on the play. Its just a stupid overreaction to one bad play. Should have never had such an overreaction to the Saints game. 

What boggles the mind is 90% of reasonable, die-hard football fans can sit at home, watch a play and think "That's pass interference" or "How is that a hold?" etc. Yet there is a complete disconnect between what the viewers and referees see. It doesn't make any sense. And this isn't to say fans could call a better game than these refs but there is obviously something wrong with the system in place. There is too much room for subjectivity and varying interpretations to the rules.

16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Pass inference is a disaster. The overturn on the Diggs TD was a joke with Cook getting called for “blocking down field”. I didn’t think that was supposed to happen with what I understood of challenging PI.

Nah, that was clearly a designed pick. The play would just be betting on:

1) Cook doing a better job to not make it so obvious, and

2) The refs missing the call

The only joke was how terrible a job Cook did on that play.

13 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What boggles the mind is 90% of reasonable, die-hard football fans can sit at home, watch a play and think "That's pass interference" or "How is that a hold?" etc. Yet there is a complete disconnect between what the viewers and referees see. It doesn't make any sense. And this isn't to say fans could call a better game than these refs but there is obviously something wrong with the system in place. There is too much room for subjectivity and varying interpretations to the rules.

If I put 90% of those reasonable fans on the field  to ref their would be outcries and teams would go on strike after a week or two 

29 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Pass inference is a disaster. The overturn on the Diggs TD was a joke with Cook getting called for “blocking down field”. I didn’t think that was supposed to happen with what I understood of challenging PI.

I agree that reviewing PI as part of scoring is ridiculous. Cook was obviously guilty of it though.

10 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Nah, that was clearly a designed pick. The play would just be betting on:

1) Cook doing a better job to not make it so obvious, and

2) The refs missing the call

The only joke was how terrible a job Cook did on that play.

Still, it’s worrisome that the review is used that way IMO. It opens the pathway for a flag being thrown on a late/game winning TD in hopes of a penalty being found on camera. Hail Mary playcalls especially.

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Still, it’s worrisome that the review is used that way IMO. It opens the pathway for a flag being thrown on a late/game winning TD in hopes of a penalty being found on camera. Hail Mary playcalls especially.

I get what you're saying but I think not being able to challenge 2 minutes before the half or end of game hampers that.

12 hours ago, Riftty said:

I mean you do realize that you could have been given two TDs and still lost correct? I understand that it was a bad call. But isn't a moot point now? I mean you have much bigger issues at hand. Your team doesn't look that great, even if you do get Brees back.

Self reflection is key. You're an 8-8 team at best right now.

lol they hung with the Rams for quite a while without Drew Brees. I’d be as concerned if I was a Rams fan.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Instead of 7 pages of talking about a team that was blown out maybe there should be more discussion on the game thats ending was directly impacted by the refs (Den vs Chi).

You could argue the blowout was due to the momentum swing as plenty of games have gone from close to blowouts with one big swing.  Even then there are a lot of discussion about other blown calls this week, such as Den vs Chi, and now the Minnesota game is being brought in.  Quite simply Refs are making major blunders that have had huge impacts on games that shouldn't happen.  If for example the Refs blew the play dead as soon as Jordan had recovered the ball instead of 30 yards down the field with a guaranteed TD in sight, or last week with the clock runoff (using Saints primarily since those are the games I'm watching, obviously, closer and remember the bad calls), things that shouldn't happen.

13 hours ago, Riftty said:

I mean you do realize that you could have been given two TDs and still lost correct? I understand that it was a bad call. But isn't a moot point now? I mean you have much bigger issues at hand. Your team doesn't look that great, even if you do get Brees back.

Self reflection is key. You're an 8-8 team at best right now.

You do realize that momentum is a thing and who knows if that might've caused the offense to play better, probably not but we've seen it in the past that offenses respond to a big play by their defense to try and pick-up some of the workload as well.  The point is that these calls shouldn't be getting missed/wrong, and unfortunately for us Saints fans it seems to be happening at a higher level of frequency lately in our games.  The Saints probably are around an 8-8 team with Bridgewater, at best probably closer to 10-6 since Bridgewater does have talent and was a starting QB at one point.  You could see in the game that his timing with the WRs were off and the gameplan wasn't the most well suited for him.  With our defensive line getting the pressure they have been, a more tailored offense for Bridgewater to run, and a week of time to get the timing down better with WRs, I think they'll look better against Seattle, though that's probably a loss as well.  We had hoped to go 2-2 in the first 4 games against Houston, Rams, Seattle, and Dallas but more than likely will be 1-3... though the next 4 after that are Bucs, Jaguars, Bears, and Cardinals which they might be able to go 4-0, so over the next 6 games the Saints could go 4-2 and be 5-3 with Brees hopefully back by then.  If we go the longer timeline the two games after that are the Falcons and Tampa Bay so if they can go 1-1 that would be 6-4 with Brees returning and a 5-3 record with Bridgewater at QB.