How are the refs so awful

Breesus mode

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

The answer to how refs are this bad is simple, because the fans have no patience.  None of this changes without full-time referees.  There will be no full-time referees until there is a *successful* referee lockout - one where fans don't go kneejerk at the first egregious call and scream to the heavens about how it's the worst thing imaginable and there's no way that the real refs are really worse than the replacement refs (they're both equally as bad) and completely kneecap the leverage the league has to push for full-time referees.

This sounds cynical, but fans are getting exactly what they deserve after the way they handled the last bargaining/lockout period between the NFL and the refs union.

You’re 100% right.

Good God I couldn’t help but laugh at some of the reactions the replacement refs received. They did just as bad of a job as regular refs. However, you’d think they were getting every call wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not excusing the bad call, I'm saying your team wasn't hosed because ultimately when you lose by 3+ scores and the bad call happens in the 2nd quarter, it wasn't a single bad call that stopped you from winning. Your offense was pathetic no matter what happened. Bad calls happen. Get over it. Refs are no worse this year than any other year.

Saying you got hosed implies you were cheated out of something you deserved by the refs - which you objectively weren't seeing as you lost by 18 points. If you'd like the NFL to grant you that touchdown and have you only lose the game by 11 points, why don't you file a lawsuit for it? 

No, it says we got hosed by a bad call

1 minute ago, Dome said:

There’s is NO SUCH THING as getting “hosed” by a 1st half call.

bad call? Sure, but we had plenty of time to pull it out after that

please don’t make me embarrassed to be a Saints fan 

I never blamed losing on that call, I said we got hosed by a bad call. Which we did. 

7 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

When does the current contract run our?

I believe they're typically 10 year contracts.  The Fail Mary which was what caused the fan backlash to kill the league's leverage last negotiating period was in September 2012.  So the deal should be up for extension/renegotiation in 2022.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re 100% right.

Good God I couldn’t help but laugh at some of the reactions the replacement refs received. They did just as bad of a job as regular refs. However, you’d think they were getting every call wrong.

"Grass is always greener" syndrome.

Just now, The LBC said:

I believe they're typically 10 year contracts.  The Fail Mary which was what caused the fan backlash to kill the league's leverage last negotiating period was in September 2012.  So the deal should be up for extension/renegotiation in 2022.

So we’re stuck for at least another few years, wonderful

Just now, Breesus mode said:

So we’re stuck for at least another few years, wonderful

And we'd probably do well for people to stop suing the league and forcing them into enacting new, hard-to-interpret rules that the replacements will no doubt struggle with since they're rules that won't be in regular use in the atmosphere they'll be coming from (high school games and the like).  Because getting the layman fan to not take to Twitter or sports talk radio and complain just to hear themselves talk is a lost cause.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And we'd probably do well for people to stop suing the league and forcing them into enacting new, hard-to-interpret rules that the replacements will no doubt struggle with since they're rules that won't be in regular use in the atmosphere they'll be coming from (high school games and the like).  Because getting the layman fan to not take to Twitter or sports talk radio and complain just to hear themselves talk is a lost cause.

I mean, it’s not like the NFL is going to make any changes on their own without public pressure.

Edited by Breesus mode

3 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

No, it’s pretty clear you don’t understand what it means. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hosed

To be waylaid and prevented from accomplishing something.

In this case, you believe you were prevented from accomplishing one or both of:

1. Scoring a touchdown

2. Winning a game

You said #2 isn't the truth so you believe the NFL prevented you from scoring a touchdown. Okay well file a petition and have the NFL grant you that TD so you can lose 27-16 and literally nothing changes. Good day.

Just now, Breesus mode said:

I mean, it’s not like the NFL is going to make any changes on their own without public pressure.

If it's seen as cost-effective or they see the potential to substantially increase their grosses they will.  The public overrates the level of influence they have over things, at least relative to how much money can be made for the owners.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hosed

In this case, you believe you were prevented from accomplishing one or both of:

1. Scoring a touchdown

2. Winning a game

You said #2 isn't the truth so you believe the NFL prevented you from scoring a touchdown. Okay well file a petition and have the NFL grant you that TD so you can lose 27-16 and literally nothing changes. Good day.

Concession noted