A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

We'll probably see what we have in Tannehill at some point this season due to MM's body. If he does even above average I think they bring him back and let Marcus walk. Joe Burrow is interesting and could be had later most likely. Jalen Hurts has looked absurd but probably just the Riley-effect. Pending how their seasons go, Eason and Fromm are two other choices for where we'd likely be picking. I don't love any of these guys, but they're the most likely options unless the wheels fall off.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Bring in Nathan Peterman, tank to #1, draft Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

Then Profit.

Lawrence is a good prospect. I didn't see yesterday but I read somewhere that he showed he isn't s flawless prospect. 

We need as close to ready as possible given our perspective roster. 

As I type this, went over my head you want to tank next year. Lol 

It depends on what we want to do. Are we truly committed to Vrabel and Robinson’s plan? If so, you probably retain Tannehill on a cheap 2-3 year deal and let them get their guy in the ‘20 or ‘21 draft. At least that’s what I would do. I think I posted that in the “is it time?” thread. 

I don’t want to force an end to the Mariota era without due diligence, but unless he proves he can play effectively in an actual NFL offense upon Lewan’s return, I hope to see a switch to Tannehill by no later than mid season, just to know what we have there. 

There is too much talent on this team to continue wasting it. The defense is ready to win now and we have playmakers on offense. We're missing iOL and a good QB to be a team that's in the playoffs every year.

I think you move forward with Tannehill on a cheap deal. Then, assuming we pick late teens again, likely give up a first round pick to try and move up about 10 spots and get a QB we like.

Right now idk if that guy is in the draft. There are a lot of years without that guy.

• Like 1

I know people aren't going to like this, but I think the smarter play would be to do what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith.  If we could keep Mariota around for a very convenient price to us, and THEN make a move at someone who can actually be elite, we should do that.  Tanking isn't the answer, and honestly that is a hell I never want to see again.

Remember Locker? Trashelbeck? Mettenberger?  Those were some dark looking days.  I would honestly rather be competitive and pay in draft capital to move up with a CHANCE to breakthrough than destroy the team for another high pick.  I mean ... what if we tank and it happens again?  Who's to say we can get the rest of the team back up to the level it is now? Tanking can destroy locker rooms, make players want to leave.

And those crowds that people complain about never showing up ... definitely not gonna help with that.  

I don't think Mariota is "the franchise" and we probably should move on down the line, but not until we KNOW who we can get who can be better. 

Also, I cant think of a guy we could even trade for right now who could give us a better shot.

The QBs in this draft have some question marks. There's not many really exciting QB prospects available this year to choose from, but I do think there's a couple of guys that could potentially upgrade our offense.

Jake Fromm- There's nothing flashy about Jake Fromm, but I love how accurate he is. There's no denying he can throw the football and read defenses. I think he'd fit perfectly with our offense as it's currently constructed. Our offense is similar to the offense he runs at Georgia in that it relies primarily on the run game. He's always been really poised in the pocket, and I feel like he could breathe a nice new life into our offense by giving us a QB that can win consistently in the pocket. 

Jacob Eason- I haven't watched a ton of Eason yet, but from what I have seen so far he appears to have a rocket for an arm, and I'm intrigued at the idea of what that arm talent could do for our offense.

I'll have more thoughts on more guys as the season progresses, but the main thing I want out of our next QB after Marcus is a guy that's a pure passer. Marcus has always been a pocket passer, but he's always relied on his athleticism more so than his arm to get him out of jams. I want our next guy to be able to win us games with his arm. When we get down in a ball game I don't want to feel like we're completely out of it because defenses know our QB can't make accurate throws consistently. The scrambling athletic QBs are fun to watch, and all of our "franchise QBs" have been in that same archetype, but I'm ready for a pure pocket passer in two tone blue.