A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

It won’t matter who our next QB is if Vrabel isn’t repacled by an an offensive minded HC. If he isn’t, our next QB will suffer the exact same fate Mariota did - a carousel of coaches telling him a million different things leading to no continuity and no growth.

13 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Who are the offensive coaches in the NFL that have been continually successful? Not just a year or two recently, but have lasted over time.

Sean Payton. 

Kyle Shannanon has been good at every stop.

Josh McDaniels. 

Ken Whisenhunt

Norv Turner. 

Andy Reid 

Frank Reich

Those are the current guys that have produced in multiple stops or for multiple years. 

Everyone else is hot and cold or small sample size. 

23 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Who are the offensive coaches in the NFL that have been continually successful? Not just a year or two recently, but have lasted over time.

sean payton, andy reid, bruce arians. doug pederson is borderline imo. if we're getting into past coaches, mike shanahan comes to mind, and possibly gary kubiak. maybe i'm missing one or two. but then, it's not like there's a long list of defensive coaches either. it's just hard to be continually successful as an NFL head coach lol

Edited by -Hope-

NFL vets that could be options next year, based on current contract:

Tom Brady 

Phillip Rivers

Eli Manning

Drew Brees

Teddy Bridgewater

Marcus Mariota

Jamies Winston

Ryan Tannehill

Dak Prescott

Possible release or trade options:

Cam Newton

Derek Carr 

Andy Dalton 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

NFL vets that could be options next year:

Tom Brady 

Phillip Rivers

Eli Manning

Teddy Bridgewater

Marcus Mariota

Jamies Winston

Ryan Tannehill

Dak Prescott

Possible release or trade options:

Cam Newton

Derek Carr 

Andy Dalton 

I’d take a flyer on Brady

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Sean Payton. 

Kyle Shannanon has been good at every stop.

Josh McDaniels. 

Ken Whisenhunt

Norv Turner. 

Andy Reid 

Frank Reich

Those are the current guys that have produced in multiple stops or for multiple years. 

Everyone else is hot and cold or small sample size. 

I meant as a head coach. I keep seeing that our team is going to suck until we have an offensive minded head coach.

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

sean payton, andy reid, bruce arians. doug pederson is borderline imo. if we're getting into past coaches, mike shanahan comes to mind, and possibly gary kubiak. maybe i'm missing one or two. but then, it's not like there's a long list of defensive coaches either. it's just hard to be continually successful as an NFL head coach lol

That's my point. It's not lop-sided one way or the other and getting an offensive minded head coach doesn't really fix much.

25 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

That's my point. It's not lop-sided one way or the other and getting an offensive minded head coach doesn't really fix much.

sure, i think we’re all just completely burned from the literal decade plus of crap offense and the revolving door of awful OCs the past several years.

15 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

sure, i think we’re all just completely burned from the literal decade plus of crap offense and the revolving door of awful OCs the past several years.

I agree and I am too, but Whisenhunt lasted like 22 games before getting fired and had even been to a Super Bowl before as a HC. Getting an offensive HC doesn't guarantee any more offensive success or wins than a defensive one in my mind.

Who was our last defensive HC before Vrabel? Surely it's not Fisher? Mularkey, Whiz, and Munchak were all coaches on the offensive side of the ball. 

For me, I guess it’s that I have some level of faith in our defense to be at least competent regardless of coach, I don’t have that confidence on offense. So if we hire a defensive coach, we need to hit on an offensive position coach (because no one is making a lateral move to join this franchise) and, even if we manage to find a good one, they’ll last two years at most. If we hire an offensive HC, at least there’s a chance we could bring someone in  with playcalling experience.

If we had an established, veteran QB, I’d be fine with a defensive HC. After the revolving door of play callers Marcus had, I want to pair our next young QB with a coach that should be with him for a while.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

For me, I guess it’s that I have some level of faith in our defense to be at least competent regardless of coach, I don’t have that confidence on offense. So if we hire a defensive coach, we need to hit on an offensive position coach (because no one is making a lateral move to join this franchise) and, even if we manage to find a good one, they’ll last two years at most. If we hire an offensive HC, at least there’s a chance we could bring someone in  with playcalling experience.

If we had an established, veteran QB, I’d be fine with a defensive HC. After the revolving door of play callers Marcus had, I want to pair our next young QB with a coach that should be with him for a while.

We paired rookie Mariota with a proven offensive play caller that had been to a super bowl as a head coach.

I don't have any faith in our defense just being good regardless of coach. Before we got Robinson our defense was garbage. **** Lebeau couldn't fix what we had.

I'm not saying I'm against offensive coaches, I just don't think Vrabel being a defensive coach even registers on the issue meter for what this team has going on. He was issues, but I don't think it's because he played defense.

9 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

We paired rookie Mariota with a proven offensive play caller that had been to a super bowl as a head coach.

I don't have any faith in our defense just being good regardless of coach. Before we got Robinson our defense was garbage. **** Lebeau couldn't fix what we had.

Top paragraph. Agreed. We made a terrible hire. If we make another terrible hire, it won’t matter which side of the ball they come from.

Second paragraph, the defense was fine with LeBeau, but it was a completely different unit three years ago. To give Robinson some credit, he’s done a very good job of adding solid starters at every level of the defense. And that’s before we add Simmons. I have real faith in the defensive talent, but obviously a terrible hire can probably ruin that too.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I meant as a head coach. I keep seeing that our team is going to suck until we have an offensive minded head coach.

Oh. 

I guess Sean Payton and Andy Reid. 

Fans don't know what they want. 

They look at other teams that have success and think that's the way. 

I think the true way is to have a defensive coach/CEO type that has a reliable OC that was an HC. They seem to have had the most success.(belichick, Tomlin, Carroll, Harbaugh, Dungy)

Or 

Have a system in place that you can keep grooming the replacement. Like a Steelers or Chiefs. 

You can't have a guy that if he leaves he takes the offense with him. Like Shannahan and McVay did. 

• Like 1