A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

44 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Walker is a tough one... he doesn't save us much with a pre 6/1 cut... but would remove him off the books completely in 2020 (if we designate him a post 6/1 cut, we get nearly 2M in cap space this year, but have a dead hit of 1.6M next year... same savings, just pushing it up a year (which is moot now a days with roll over).  Cutting Delanie though... man, that sucks even thinking about it... but he may not be breaking down... he might have already broken down

Someone in NFL Gen brought up the idea of Delanie being traded before the trade deadline and I was totally against it...but that ankle might be a lot bigger problem than I thought. If it really is time to move on from him Jonnu has stepped in very well in his place averaging about 4/50 per game over the last 4, while also getting better and better as a blocker. And if cutting him means opening enough room to re-sign Henry (not sure if that’s even a realistic scenario or not) I do it without hesitation.

Edited by dtait93

5 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Throwing. From multiple platforms, at any level, and deliver dimes. Across his body, on the run, off balance. Touch throws or bullets. Maybe others are capable of pulling off one or a few, but to him it's virtually a trait. Hence all the Mahomes comparisons and people hyping up his ceiling.

And sure, coaching can fix a lot, but that's why it's important to keep potential in mind. For him, that's among the Mahomes-es or Rodgers-es of the league, for others, even some that are maybe more advanced than him coming out, it's not. Doesn't make them bad prospects by any means, it just makes his potential that much more special.

First bold: Yeah, I would be willing to bet I could find tape for every top prospect doing every one of these.  If he's not doing it consistently (and he's not), then his ability to do it doesn't mean squat.

Second bold: Hard disagree.  Unless he's doing those things consistently (and again, he's not, he misses a lot of those throws), then it doesn't matter.  And against LSU, he certainly wasn't.  Wake Forest either.  Or BYU.

Now, I will give you that he has a big arm, that's clear from his throws.  And he's pretty good at throwing on the run, much better than most, but that's all I think I can say about him that's positive.  He's got some speed, but he doesn't run often or for much (he has 110 rushing yards on the season), he has terrible decision making (his INTs are proof of that), questionable accuracy (he throws some darts, but he misses throws way too often), and his supporting cast bail him out more than you give them credit for.  IIRC, his biggest throws against BYU the other week were a big YAC run and a bomb to a wide open receiver.  In fact, watching the tape on BYU made me like Gerold Bright more than anything about Love.

That is not a quality prospect by any objective standard.  He is riddled with problems, and if you only see upside, which is there, but not the ridiculous amount of risk and problems you have to fix with him, then you're not weighing him as a prospect honestly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

First bold: Yeah, I would be willing to bet I could find tape for every top prospect doing every one of these.  If he's not doing it consistently (and he's not), then his ability to do it doesn't mean squat.

Second bold: Hard disagree.  Unless he's doing those things consistently (and again, he's not, he misses a lot of those throws), then it doesn't matter.  And against LSU, he certainly wasn't.  Wake Forest either.  Or BYU.

Now, I will give you that he has a big arm, that's clear from his throws.  And he's pretty good at throwing on the run, much better than most, but that's all I think I can say about him that's positive.  He's got some speed, but he doesn't run often or for much (he has 110 rushing yards on the season), he has terrible decision making (his INTs are proof of that), questionable accuracy (he throws some darts, but he misses throws way too often), and his supporting cast bail him out more than you give them credit for.  IIRC, his biggest throws against BYU the other week were a big YAC run and a bomb to a wide open receiver.  In fact, watching the tape on BYU made me like Gerold Bright more than anything about Love.

That is not a quality prospect by any objective standard.  He is riddled with problems, and if you only see upside, which is there, but not the ridiculous amount of risk and problems you have to fix with him, then you're not weighing him as a prospect honestly.

He has a better completion rate than Lamar Jackson did in college, and in a bad year for him a better INT rate than Jackson did in his final year. Jackson, in the meantime, has turned into a legit MVP candidate in the NFL in year 2. Baltimore decided that his traits ultimately far outweigh his numbers or flaws, and it paid off big time.

I guess we just differ in what we value in prospects. He's not the most NFL ready quarterback by any means, but if he lands well I do think he can be fine if he needs to start day 1, and ultimately, offers the highest ceiling, as far as I'm concerned, among this class (that is if he does decide to come out instead of trying to rebuild his stock a little next year). And there's definitely value in that for those that are smart enough to see it and smart enough to help him reach his potential.

26 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

and in a bad year for him a better INT rate than Jackson did in his final year

what are you talking about? lamar jackson threw 27 touchdowns to 10 picks his final year. love has 11 touchdowns to 12 picks. that's not even close.

I think Love is a 4th-5th round player and the idea that he could have the highest ceiling of any of these prospect befuddles me. For instance, Justin Herbert, a QB that I'm not extremely excited about. He may not turn out to be a very good NFL player because there is so much mentally that has to process in such a short amount of time, and I don't think he's on Burrows level when it comes to processing. But if you want to talk about ceiling? He physically everything you could ask for in a QB and has shown more arm talent than Love by far. By arm talent I do not mean arm strength, which he has a ton of, I'm talking accuracy, ball placement (not the same as accuracy), touch, release.

I will just have to agree to disagree with anyone who thinks he's near first round worthy, because I haven't seen anything that resembles it. He may have one or two impressive throws a game, but so do most QBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I think Love is a 4th-5th round player and the idea that he could have the highest ceiling of any of these prospect befuddles me. For instance, Justin Herbert, a QB that I'm not extremely excited about. He may not turn out to be a very good NFL player because there is so much mentally that has to process in such a short amount of time, and I don't think he's on Burrows level when it comes to processing. But if you want to talk about ceiling? He physically everything you could ask for in a QB and has shown more arm talent than Love by far. By arm talent I do not mean arm strength, which he has a ton of, I'm talking accuracy, ball placement (not the same as accuracy), touch, release.

I will just have to agree to disagree with anyone who thinks he's near first round worthy, because I haven't seen anything that resembles it. He may have one or two impressive throws a game, but so do most QBs.

Love looks to me just like you said. 

I don't see anything other than a decent arm with mobility and size.  

I don't think I could support the team with any type of excitement if we drafted him early. 

I would rather sign both Mariota and Tanny back. 

I'd take Tanny and love in the 3rd or 4th with the expectation of him sitting 2 years.