A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

burrow and tua are the only guys i really like in this draft, and tua is borderline for me. obviously waiting to see what burrow does against the real meat of his schedule but he passes the eye test with flying colors. i haven't seen anything of eason yet, though.

I tried watching Eason and i lost attention each time. I don't see anything special about him. 

Vanderbilt coach called Burrow the best QB he has ever faced. For what that means.

I love Burrow. 
I also like a lower round guy in Lewerke, from Michigan state..  He had a decent sophomore year, terrible junior  year and decent start to this year. I think he could rise if he gets to the Senior Bowl.

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

I know it's one of those things that will be answered if/when we have a different QB.  I just wonder if this would be the offense regardless of the QB. I feel like it would pretty much the same. 
Thinking to when Gabbert was in there, it looked similar if not worst. He had a stronger arm but everything still formation wise was similar. 

I wonder if we have the type of coaches that will draft another spread QB and try to put them in a power running scheme. 

It's hard to call plays to a QBs talents when they have none lol. Gabbert is awful. Best thing we could do is just run-run-run punt. 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I know it's one of those things that will be answered if/when we have a different QB.  I just wonder if this would be the offense regardless of the QB. I feel like it would pretty much the same. 
Thinking to when Gabbert was in there, it looked similar if not worst. He had a stronger arm but everything still formation wise was similar. 

I wonder if we have the type of coaches that will draft another spread QB and try to put them in a power running scheme. 

We are 100% not changing a system to fit a QB. We are going to be “run run and run some more” until all the other teams fold and we win the super bowl by default 

Ya know before the draft a lot of people were questioning Marcus because of his low key personality, and as a supporter of him I saw his personality as a positive. When things went wrong in a game his demeanor would keep the team calm, poised,. etc because he never was too up or too down. 5 years into the Mariota era, and I'm starting to see the other side of the coin... What I thought would come off as a calming mechanism for the team has kind of turned into almost a nonchalant attitude that has resonated with the whole team. We aren't playing with any energy or passion on the offensive side of the ball. I don't think Marcus' personality has been what tanked his career here up to this point or anything like that, but I can see where his personality has hurt us in some aspects. Teams take on the personality of their QB, so I guess I say all that to say I want our next QB to have some fire and hold his teammates accountable. Not a forced "ra ra" guy just because he thinks he has to be, but a guy that you can visibly see genuinely loves to compete and can actually light a fire under his teammates. Philip Rivers is who comes to mind for me personality wise. He has so much moxie and still plays like he's a kid playing in the backyard. We could use some of that on this team.

I'm not saying that Marcus doesn't love to compete or play, but there have been so many times especially these last two weeks  where I've just really wanted him to take control of the team and start showing some emotion about our level of play. Give the team energy.  There comes a point as the QB and leader of this team where you have to take some of this stuff into your own hands and light a fire under your teammates.

10 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I don't think we're having a different conversation. LaFleur probably didn't plan on running this type of offense prior to being hired and was trying to scheme it to best fit the personnel. He was a bad situational play caller though.

However, I don't see Green Bay running nothing but 2 tight and bunch formations for Aaron Rogers. The offense has been changed to fit Rogers and their personnel in Green Bay. I think our OCs are doing the same here for what they think our offense and Mariota does best. I just find it way too coincidental that 3 OCs in a row have ran the same bunch/heavy stuff. They must see him as more successful when they do this. This year we've seen more predefined reads so they're trying to ask him to do even less than in previous years.

Again, I'm not saying I like this offense, because I hate it. I hate the entire scheme. I just think it is that way because of either Mariota or the rest of the personnel such as the OL. We have TEs and WRs now so, while that could have been a reason in years past, I don't think that's the reason now.

As for Lafleur's offense last year... Do we know how much of it was his thoughts on Mariota's limitations and how much of it was the lack of receiving weapons. Once Walker went down and once  they didn't think Matthews was back from injury and eventually released, they were starting Taylor/Sharpe. Jennings, Batson, and Williams were also options in that offense. The strength of the offense was the depth of the TEs (kudos to Smith for that), so that's what they relied on. 

9 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Yes, and this is precisely what most people ignore when bringing up not running enough hurry up or no huddle. Most of what we saw of it came against prevent defense. Might be true it made him look better because it will, more often than not, make any quarterback in the league look better against prevent defenses. It's far from sustainable over the course of a full game.

That's definitely true on the list drive... But his confort level and stats improved drastically after the half. 

If Henry can run out of the Pistol, I'd love to see us start implementing it... See if it gives Mariota the confidence and the offense the rhythm it needs. 

Once Lewan returns and the OL stabilizes a bit, I want them to open the offense up, let him do what he's done best since college and with the limited opportunities in that offense as a pro. 

10 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Can we just all agree to never speak of that last drive again?  So painful to watch...

Well we have the Marcus thread for all praise and criticism of Marcus. lol

But from the sound of things is that people aren't optimistic about any future choices at QB because of the guys coaching and calling the offense?

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Well we have the Marcus thread for all praise and criticism of Marcus. lol

But from the sound of things is that people aren't optimistic about any future choices at QB because of the guys coaching and calling the offense?

I think the biggest thing for me with that going forward is we need our next QB to be a pure passer that can fit in a multitude of pro systems. All of our QBs pretty much in Franchise history have been athletic QBs that had specific skill sets that our offenses needed to be built around to succeed. The argument could even be made that Steve's career here was somewhat stunted overall because of our offensive systems. Post McNair, VY/Locker/Mariota were all athletes that had specific skill sets that our offensive coaching staffs needed to build around, and when they didn't do that we put ourselves in a bind. So, I think going forward we need to try to take that out of the equation. I think we need to try to limit our margin of error with our next QB and grab a pocket passer that can win games with his arm. If we get a guy that's more of a traditional passer we can somewhat take the pressure off of our offensive staff having to build a special system around the QB. That's how I think we can get out of our own way with the offensive coaching staff going forward regardless of who the OC is next year and beyond.

3 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

I think the biggest thing for me with that going forward is we need our next QB to be a pure passer that can fit in a multitude of pro systems. All of our QBs pretty much in Franchise history have been athletic QBs that had specific skill sets that our offenses needed to be built around to succeed. The argument could even be made that Steve's career here was somewhat stunted overall because of our offensive systems. Post McNair, VY/Locker/Mariota were all athletes that had specific skill sets that our offensive coaching staffs needed to build around, and when they didn't do that we put ourselves in a bind. So, I think going forward we need to try to take that out of the equation. I think we need to try to limit our margin of error with our next QB and grab a pocket passer that can win games with his arm. If we get a guy that's more of a traditional passer we can somewhat take the pressure off of our offensive staff having to build a special system around the QB. That's how I think we can get out of our own way with the offensive coaching staff going forward regardless of who the OC is next year and beyond.

Our best years came at the hand of QBs playing from the pocket (MVP McNair and Kerry Collins.  Also Moon if we get technical). 

I don't think that is by coincidence. Let our QB pass the ball and let them either sink or swim. Not hide them with a run heavy approach. 

• Like 1