A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

The other team that has been rumored to Brady other than us has been the Chargers

I don’t think we are getting the next franchise QB in the draft and I really don’t want to waste a 1st round pick on one 

I’m fine with resigning Tannehill but if for some reasons he got over paid or just hates Arthur Smith like we do and left then I wouldn’t mind Rivers 

Rivers still has an arm but I think a big part of LACs problems are to me anyway it still feels like they put it in his hands way too much especially with 2 capable backs of running at anytime 

Right now thought I’d rather just bring back Tannehill 

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I don’t think we are getting the next franchise QB in the draft and I really don’t want to waste a 1st round pick on one 

Also think if we do take a QB then we gonna give him pretty much every chance to succeed or fail. 

They gave Marcus every down they could, until it was a must to change. 

So imagine how they'd treat a guy they picked. We'd be stuck with either a bad QB or average QB for 5 years. All the while passing on a likely franchise guy. 

Not that we would have taken Mahomes, Darnold or whoever but the fact that we had Marcus, we wasn't in the hunt for a QB. 

So imagine passing on Lawrence, Fields or the next Burrows. 

The franchise tag was 25M this year. Unless he goes complete ham and takes us on a deep playoff run, I'm not using it... Especially not with the options that will be available in the offseason. 

Tom Brady and Drew Brees are older, but still effective... Although neither may be actually available. 

Rivers  ould also be an option, but he's got 6 games to show he's not done. 

Prescott probably won't be available, but I dint think he's worth the money he's asking for. 

Then there's Tannehill, Mariota (not an option for us, but an option in the market for other teams), Cam, Bridgewater, Winston, probably Dalton and Flacco. 

Not saying they're all better options than RT, but with so many options, I don't think 25M for him is the smartest thing to do. 

When I say sign this player or that player for x amount, that's typically AAV... But cap hit is different. Let's say you get RT for 3 years, 50M,that's an AAV of just under 17M...but his cap hit in 2020 would be less than that... How much less would depend on the structure. With a tag, all of that money applies to the current year's cap. 

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

The franchise tag was 25M this year. Unless he goes complete ham and takes us on a deep playoff run, I'm not using it... Especially not with the options that will be available in the offseason. 

Tom Brady and Drew Brees are older, but still effective... Although neither may be actually available. 

Rivers  ould also be an option, but he's got 6 games to show he's not done. 

Prescott probably won't be available, but I dint think he's worth the money he's asking for. 

Then there's Tannehill, Mariota (not an option for us, but an option in the market for other teams), Cam, Bridgewater, Winston, probably Dalton and Flacco. 

Not saying they're all better options than RT, but with so many options, I don't think 25M for him is the smartest thing to do. 

When I say sign this player or that player for x amount, that's typically AAV... But cap hit is different. Let's say you get RT for 3 years, 50M,that's an AAV of just under 17M...but his cap hit in 2020 would be less than that... How much less would depend on the structure. With a tag, all of that money applies to the current year's cap. 

I hear ya, but what IF Tanny is one of those "change of scenery" instances and can give us 3-4 solid years?

too big of a risk for us to try and "wait and see". would just hate to lose out on solid QB play for the near future if he can keep this rolling

22 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

more recently than a titans QB draft pick has worked out long term

What previous administrations and previous GMs did is irrelevant, logically and statistically.

Unless you literally believe in curses, the smart move if you’re looking for a long term QB isn’t team specific.

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

drew brees. kirk cousins to a much lesser extent 

Brees was the last one I was thinking of. And that was a long time ago, with a young QB at the time.

I probably wouldn’t count Cousins myself. I don’t think he’s really done anything with the Vikings yet IIRC.

My point is, if you’re looking for a QB that’s a long term option, then you might as well accept that it’s going to have to come in the draft.

It’s kinda funny, because at the start of the season, everyone seemed to think drafting a QB was child’s play. Now suddenly yall want to sign a bunch of 40 year olds or franchise Tannehill.

Provided Tannehill continues playing reasonably well, I would sign him to a starters salary and draft the next QB I can reasonably get that I think is going to be a big deal in the NFL. Whether thats this year or years from now and whether it requires staying put or moving up in the draft.

The position is too important to pass on someone you think is special because of a maybe.  If you don't have someone special and you can draft someone you think is, do it. I think Tannehill is a starter in the NFL and I think we can win games with him. I don't think he's special. I do think he can prevent us from reaching in the meantime 

Some QB's that switched teams and actually played well.

1. Joe Montana went to KC from SF and had two decent seasons.
2. Randall Cunningham went from Philly to MIN and had one GREAT season and blah others.
3. Brett Farve went to MIN and had one great season.
4. Kurt Warner went from STL to eventually Arizona about 5 Good Seasons that included a Super Bowl run.
5. Rich Gannon went to Oakland and played 74 games  tossing 114 TDS.
6. Alex Smith went from SF to KC and had 6 good seasons.
7. Drew Brees started in  San Diego became HOF in New Orleans
8. Kirk Cousins went from WAS to MIN with varied success.

It's not something that happens often. A franchise FA QB is more rare than finding a franchise QB in the draft.