A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

Brees, Manning are the obvious names.  In addition to some of the names KT listed, Plummer and Gannon a little further back... Moon even further back... 

Warner and Delhomme also had some success as non-conventional FA's.

We've also recently had more success here with FA signings than draft picks... Collins/Hasselbeck over Young/Locker.  

Anyone wanting to sign one of these older vets isn't looking at a long term solution, I don't think. I think a large number of posters here think we have the team to contend for the AFC Championship now (they may be right, I think we're another edge pass rusher away, and consistent offensive scheme/play... and are looking for the best option to put us in that position next year.  Signing one of those older guys doesn't preclude us from drafting someone who target... although maybe it does give us a chance to try and find value in the 2nd or 3rd, instead of forcing a 1st rounder.  

I honestly don't know what the answer is to our QB future.  I don't like any of the potential 1st rounders that could fall to us.  I'm not against RT, but I want to make sure it's a reasonable contract, cuz I'm still not sold he's the type to get this team over the hump.  That can change in the next couple months.  OF the QBs I mentioned earlier, I'm really not enamored with any of the options.  Brees I would love, but he's not leaving NOLA.  Brady and Rivers have shown their age this year, and may be in line for a fast/hard fall soon.  Out of RT, Cam, Winston, Bridgewater, Dalton and Flacco... none of them stand out above the other really... although that listing is probably how I'd rank them preference-wise.  

Edited by ragevsuall17

7 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I hear ya, but what IF Tanny is one of those "change of scenery" instances and can give us 3-4 solid years?

too big of a risk for us to try and "wait and see". would just hate to lose out on solid QB play for the near future if he can keep this rolling

I mean he could... but how long can he sustain this success?  When you look at his ratios from his time in Miami to his time here, it just doesn't seem sustainable, you know.  He's only 31, so he's not NFL QB "old" yet... and may be hitting his stride... I just don't think it's likely.  

I know people think he played with no talent in Miami... but he had Landry and Miller for most of his career there.  Sprinkle in a few seasons of Rishard M, Parker, Stills, Ajayi... and the cupboard wasn't exactly empty in Miami.  His last good statistical season (4 k yards), when he had all those players, he went 6-10 and had the 27th ranked scoring offense.  They were 30th in 1st Ds and 30th in scoring drive %.  That's a lot of talent to be that ineffective.  

I hope he continues this level of play and keeps it going into 2020.  Give us another pass rusher and better OL play, and we're a solid+ team.  I just don't know if he can continue this.  

I thought pre-injury Tannehill was pretty good in Miami. From what I recall he was looking like a promising QB after 4 years, the team just still wasn't winning enough which absolutely hurts your image as a QB. Part of that is on the Dolphins and part of that is on the fact that, while pretty good, he's not the caliber of QB that is going to carry a team.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Analytics are saying the sack problem is far more QB related than OL, but I know that won't be popular here.

The sacks have definitely declined since Tannehill took over, and a big part of that has to be having a QB that actually gets the ball out on time. One of Marcus' biggest problems was relying on his legs/athleticism too much. He thought he could hold on to the ball an extra second or two because of his ability to scramble. Ryan can scramble, but he knows it's not a huge part of his game especially since he's gotten older. 

14 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Some QB's that switched teams and actually played well.

1. Joe Montana went to KC from SF and had two decent seasons.
2. Randall Cunningham went from Philly to MIN and had one GREAT season and blah others.
3. Brett Farve went to MIN and had one great season.
4. Kurt Warner went from STL to eventually Arizona about 5 Good Seasons that included a Super Bowl run.
5. Rich Gannon went to Oakland and played 74 games  tossing 114 TDS.
6. Alex Smith went from SF to KC and had 6 good seasons.
7. Drew Brees started in  San Diego became HOF in New Orleans
8. Kirk Cousins went from WAS to MIN with varied success.

It's not something that happens often. A franchise FA QB is more rare than finding a franchise QB in the draft. 

Palmer had a nearly-MVP season in Arizona and made them a contender when healthy. Although as a backup, Foles won a SB in Philly and was a rather big part of it.

Yes, it doesn't happen often to the extent they become long term franchise QBs, but at least for the short term, FA and the trade market have proven to be viable options to find a starter.

Edited by Andrei01

If Tannehill plays like this for the rest of the year we have to give him the keys to the team for next year. I can't see us having a draft spot to land a QB at this point so put an o-line around him and see what he can do next year. Still think if we like a QB and he's there then draft him but don't force a pick based on necessity, and don't trade up out of desperation.   

15 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

I really hope we're not still looking for our long term answer at QB in 2 years lol

More about planning ahead and feeling like Tanny has a limited number of prime years. Lol 

I don't think Tanny is good enough to keep us from drafting a QB of the future.