If Brees is Out for the Season/Retires

Raves

28 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’m pretty sure Brees tore his UCL. Probably done for the season unfortunately 

Obviously we don't know the true extent of the injury or if he'll try to play again next year, but with things looking as bad as they could right now, let's at least broach the subject.

If Brees is done for the year:

A)  What do you think our record will be?

B)  Do you want Teddy or Hill to get the starts?

C)  Who do you think we would target if we picked 3-5 (not beating out the Dolphins for #1 no matter how bad we are since we already got a win)?  6-10?

If Brees also retires after being out for the year and we finish let's say 5-11 and picking 3rd.

A)  Do we draft a QB at #3 and start them or sit behind Hill/Bridgetwater?

B)  Do we go after a veteran QB that their team moves on from?  (Derek Carr would be my target going this route but others available could be Mariota, Winston, and a few others)

C)  If we don't go QB at #3 who would you want?

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

Obviously we don't know the true extent of the injury or if he'll try to play again next year, but with things looking as bad as they could right now, let's at least broach the subject.

If Brees is done for the year:

A)  What do you think our record will be?

B)  Do you want Teddy or Hill to get the starts?

C)  Who do you think we would target if we picked 3-5 (not beating out the Dolphins for #1 no matter how bad we are since we already got a win)?  6-10?

If Brees also retires after being out for the year and we finish let's say 5-11 and picking 3rd.

A)  Do we draft a QB at #3 and start them or sit behind Hill/Bridgetwater?

B)  Do we go after a veteran QB that their team moves on from?  (Derek Carr would be my target going this route but others available could be Mariota, Winston, and a few others)

C)  If we don't go QB at #3 who would you want?

I still think we win a fair share of games in spite of not having Brees because the team is pretty talented. Unfortunately we may not be as good as the Falcons now. I suppose we could fight it out for a wildcard. Maybe a 9-7 type of season. Or the team just collapses but we find a way to get 6 wins and still not have a great draft pick. 

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

I still think we win a fair share of games in spite of not having Brees because the team is pretty talented. Unfortunately we may not be as good as the Falcons now. I suppose we could fight it out for a wildcard. Maybe a 9-7 type of season. Or the team just collapses but we find a way to get 6 wins and still not have a great draft pick. 

7-9 in the past has gotten us either the 10th or 11th picks in the draft.  That's why I gave the different ranges.

So if this is an injury of only 6-8 weeks with Brees able to come back 100%, I could definitely see the Saints being 4-2 or 5-3 in those 6-8 weeks that Brees is out.  This is of course assuming that the next 2-3 weeks Bridgewater is able to get the timing down with the WRs and the playbook is tailored more towards his skillset so he's put in a better position.

@ Seattle (L)

vs Dallas (L)

-This week and 2 more weeks for Bridgewater to really get into rhythm.  I think our defense can keep these games closer but without a fully functioning offense I think we drop them, especially @ Seattle, though home vs Dallas could be an upset victory for us.  By this point either the offense is clicking enough with Bridgewater to win games or we'll be lucky to go 2-4 or 2-6 in those weeks.

vs Tampa (W)

@ Jacksonville (W) - Tough due to their defense but their offense will be worse than ours

@ Bears (W) - Same reasoning as above.  Could also be a loss.

vs Cardinals (W)

-Earliest Brees could return after surgery.  That's a potentially 4-2 record with Bridgewater with a low point of 2-4, high of 5-1.

vs Falcons (L) - Looking much better, still inconsistent but probably toughest conference opponent this year

@ Tampa (W)

-Latest expected return from surgery.  So anywhere from a 3-5 to a 6-2 record with Bridgewater at QB, but even 4-4 would put us at 5-5 an in position.

vs Carolina (W) - This would be a great game for Brees to be back for due to their struggles if it continues through this week.  If for some reason Brees isn't back due to waiting to have surgery till mid week and needing more time still Bridgewater can still get the W.

@Falcons (L)

vs San Fran (W?)

vs Colts (W?)

@Titans (W?)

@ Carolina (W?)

So we could still sneak into the playoffs if we are lucky.