Here's A Mild Distraction For Consideration

soulman

We now know that Miami is conducting a fire sale tearing it all down and starting over.  This was suggested in a column I read so I thought I'd toss it out.

The proposal was one of our two 2nds to Miami for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Despite the lack of a current need we're relatively certain HHC-D won't return in 2020 and we're still unsure if Bush is a capable starter.

Fitzpatrick has CB speed and Safety size and could conceivably play either position in this defense.  He's also under contract through 2021 with cap hits averaging about $5 mil each in 2020 and 2021 and only around $1 mil for the balance of this year.  That's quite a bargain for a #11 overall pick.

We could conceivably have positions at both RCB and SS to fill in 2020 and Fitzpatrick would be roughly half the cost of Amukamara.  That would still allow plenty of cap room to offer Eddie Jackson a top FS extension.

I can't think that we could possibly do any better talent wise with a rookie 2nd round pick and clearly we're gonna need to add more secondary help in 2020 so I thought I'd just see what the general consensus is for a move like this.  He's been named as a trade prospect for several other teams so I though why not us.  It does make some sense.

Edited by soulman

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not saying this to be a ****, but the Bears probably need to hold onto their resources because they may need to address the QB position next offseason.

Agreed. They have to be very careful at this point. I think the percentage chance they have to replace Mitch is very, very small--but Pace can't get goofy.

The Bears also couldn't afford to pay Fitzpatrick in two years, unless they cut Fuller. (Which may be worth considering, but just saying).

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

On the topic of DB's who want out, Jalen Ramsey has requested a trade.

Pace/Nagy have both been on record about the importance of high character guys and Jalen is far from that. 

Plus, Prince has proven that we only need a solid corner opposite of Fuller and not another star. Esp one who is about to make 15/y.  

Besides, we have enough money poured into our secondary as it is and we having even paid Jackson yet. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Pace/Nagy have both been on record about the importance of high character guys and Jalen is far from that. 

Plus, Prince has proven that we only need a solid corner opposite of Fuller and not another star. Esp one who is about to make 15/y.  

Besides, we have enough money poured into our secondary as it is and we having even paid Jackson yet. 

By no means was I implying that the Bears would be a good fit. I was just pointing out that another good DB wants to be dealt. Yeah, no way they would even call the Jags

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Agreed. They have to be very careful at this point. I think the percentage chance they have to replace Mitch is very, very small--but Pace can't get goofy.

The Bears also couldn't afford to pay Fitzpatrick in two years, unless they cut Fuller. (Which may be worth considering, but just saying).

Well he's signed through 2021 as is Fuller so both would have to be re-signed but it now a moot point.  Pitt trade a 2020 1st for him.  We couldn't have gone that high if we'd have wanted to.

TRADE: Steelers are trading a 2020 first-round pick to the Dolphins for DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, league sources tell ESPN.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 17, 2019
Edited by soulman

7 hours ago, soulman said:

If Miami got a 1st for Fitzpatrick I shudder to think what JAX will ask for Ramsey.

Ah well, we can't have ALL of the good players.  Just most of them. ;)

Ramsey I think is closer to end of his deal and he is potential locker room cancer.

Not sure he will get any more.  Maybe less.

Not sure where to post this, but man I had to wait until like 7 to watch the Bears game Sunday on game pass.

My antenna was not coming in so I could not watch live.  

I was dying waiting.   

I hate these late games.   Play at noon!   Then I can watch when I get home from church and after lunch.   

Then I had to watch that game after all that waiting and staying off all media.  The game where we couldn't move the ball and then almost lost a game we had won.  I actually thought we lost for about 35 minutes because I turned it off when Denver went ahead and then we sucked on next few plays offensively.  

I was dying all over again.

Don't know if I can handle these emotions man.  I have to calm down my expectations and my level of excitement for this team.  I built it up too much in my head this off season.

Anyone else go through anything like that?

• Like 2

Nah, I haven't been expecting as much from them as some of the hype built them up to be.

Looking at the schedule I thought going 12-4 again would be a major accomplishment and that 10-6 might be more likely.  As long as we don't go on an extended losing streak we should be able to hit that goal or maybe one game better.

Two things are conspiring against an even better season than 2018.

1) We aren't a surprise to anyone this year and most teams will be better prepared for us especially in the NFCN as Green Bay was.

2) Mitch is not progressing as quickly as he needs to and while disappointing I'm not in the panic over it some are.  Not yet anyway.

I still believe we're a playoff caliber team but not a championship level team.  Not until Mitch shows that he can take charge of his offense and win games on his own and IMHO we're another year away from that or maybe worse if he fails to progress completely.  2019 is kind of a que sera sera season where the teams destiny is in the hands of Nagy and Trubisky and both are still working off learners permits.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2