No ups, lots of downs - 49ers Version

theJ

I didn't get to watch the game, so feel free to add to this

Ups

1. John Ross weeeee
  2. Darius Phillips returning kicks
  3. Tyler Boyd still a stud
  4. Andy Dalton hasn't completed folded without a running game or AJ Green - positive sign

Downs

1. Just no running game
  2. Carl Lawson hurt again
  3. 2018 defense is back!  Almost 600 yards given up
  4. Randy Bullock outside of 40 yards
  5. Pass rush gone
  6. John Ross drops
  7. Damion Willis very silent with his opportunity
  8. 4th string LT is not very good
  9. Lost the TOP battle in a big way

Ups

1. I still like Zac Taylor's offense.

2. Trey Hopkins is still good.

3. Sam Hubbard is still good.

4. There's glimpses of Dalton having career years under Taylor but they won't come to fruition with this offensive line.

Downs

1. Our offensive line as a whole is dreadful. No running game. Can't pass block. Kills the offense.

2. This defense can't tackle and it makes me miss Zimmer. 

3. Preston Brown sucks.

4. Dre Kirkpatrick sucks.

5. Andre Smith sucks (Do I even have to list this?)

6. Any team that has a good offensive line will nullify our defense line. Kills the defense.

7. We suck again.

Couple of thoughts:

- that was probably the best front 7 we will play all year

- cornerback is a huge need moving forward

- the lack of moves to shore up the oline is rearing it’s ugly head

- really poor preparation for the 49ers offense. Could not stop them even if they tried

- Boyd is a stud, glad we locked him up

- we need AJ back, but if we start 0-4 it may be time to start thinking about trading him

- Defensive line did not play sound gap responsibility. Everyone was doing there own thing. Actually the whole defense looked lost. 

- Preston Brown and Vigil need replaced soon 

- Bates needs to step it up. Lots of bad secondary play yesterday. 

- We need to put Phillips in at corner over BW Webb. 

- Penalties killed us again 

- can we please draft a kicker next year. 

42 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

- the lack of moves to shore up the oline is rearing it’s ugly head

Well,  we did sign a guy who's playing ok, at least in pass blocking.  We also drafted a first round tackle and a 4th round guard,  who started. Failing to upgrade the 4th tackle isn't really something I can fault them for.  Our two best tackles are injured,  our best guard retired. Spent a lot of time mixing and matching in training camp so chemistry is still not going to be there. 

Also,  Smith didn't play great before he got hurt, but that false start penalty was ridiculous.  How many times have o lineman stood up out of stance as the clock ran down?  That's the first time I have seen it called. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

What's the situation with Dennard?  Is he supposed to be back soon?  I would love to see Phillips instead of Dre, and Dennard instead of BW Webb...

He's on PUP.  So yeah, he'll be back around week 7.

From a 49ers perspective:

Ups:

-Zac Taylor's offense looks to be legit

-Tyler Boyd is awesome and one of the best #2 WRs in the game

-William Jackson III is the truth

-Geno Atkins was dominant

-Not many penalties overall, though a few costly ones after the WJIII INT

Downs:

-The defense was completely unprepared

-The run game was inept and the 49ers with their wide 9 scheme are susceptible to the run. The Bucs ran all over us in the 2nd half

-Nick Vigil was horrendously bad and I lost count on how many missed tackles he had and how many times over ran the run

-Kirkpatrick was bad both against the run and pass

-The pass rush was nowhere to be seen (Though the Niners have two really good tackles) aside from Atkins being a one man show in the interior

-Safeties were also terrible

I think if I'm a Bengals fan the most disappointing part of the game was just how woefully unprepared the defense was. Taylor should had a good grasp of the stuff Shanahan likes to run offensively and some of his favorite sets/plays.

Overall, just one game. Every team at some point takes a beating like this...Well, most teams do, maybe not the true elite ones. There's obviously a lot of talent at the skill positions but I worry about the defense. Maybe it was just one game, but the LBs and safeties just looked bad. DL has talent and they should be better than what we saw yesterday.

Good luck rest of the way! And since Boyd/Ross look legit, don't be stingy in keeping Green. Share the wealth! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From a 49ers perspective:

Ups:

-Zac Taylor's offense looks to be legit

-Tyler Boyd is awesome and one of the best #2 WRs in the game

-William Jackson III is the truth

-Geno Atkins was dominant

-Not many penalties overall, though a few costly ones after the WJIII INT

Downs:

-The defense was completely unprepared

-The run game was inept and the 49ers with their wide 9 scheme are susceptible to the run. The Bucs ran all over us in the 2nd half

-Nick Vigil was horrendously bad and I lost count on how many missed tackles he had and how many times over ran the run

-Kirkpatrick was bad both against the run and pass

-The pass rush was nowhere to be seen (Though the Niners have two really good tackles) aside from Atkins being a one man show in the interior

-Safeties were also terrible

I think if I'm a Bengals fan the most disappointing part of the game was just how woefully unprepared the defense was. Taylor should had a good grasp of the stuff Shanahan likes to run offensively and some of his favorite sets/plays.

Overall, just one game. Every team at some point takes a beating like this...Well, most teams do, maybe not the true elite ones. There's obviously a lot of talent at the skill positions but I worry about the defense. Maybe it was just one game, but the LBs and safeties just looked bad. DL has talent and they should be better than what we saw yesterday.

Good luck rest of the way! And since Boyd/Ross look legit, don't be stingy in keeping Green. Share the wealth! 

Pretty good summary. We knew our linebackers and O-line were issues before the game. It was night and day difference between last week and yesterday. I think thats why it was hard to watch. You literally saw them do what they need to do last week, and this week its like they weren't ready.

17 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Pretty good summary. We knew our linebackers and O-line were issues before the game. It was night and day difference between last week and yesterday. I think thats why it was hard to watch. You literally saw them do what they need to do last week, and this week its like they weren't ready.

I actually thought your OL held up fairly well until the 2nd half when the game became a blowout and the Niners DL just got to rush every down with no fear of the run. The Niners DL is going to be tough for nearly every OL, so I wouldn't be too upset at that.

The LBs and safeties are a huge area of concern though. Just don't have it at those positions. Not sure what you can do to make up for that either. Guess you could hope the DL is that dominant that it could mitigate some of those issues? 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I actually thought your OL held up fairly well until the 2nd half when the game became a blowout and the Niners DL just got to rush every down with no fear of the run. The Niners DL is going to be tough for nearly every OL, so I wouldn't be too upset at that.

The LBs and safeties are a huge area of concern though. Just don't have it at those positions. Not sure what you can do to make up for that either. Guess you could hope the DL is that dominant that it could mitigate some of those issues? 

I think we will be better moving forward, but your speed at receiver forced us to play our weaknesses.

But your right, your front 7 is probably the best we will face all year. Hopefully we get Cordy Glenn back soon. We were down to our 4th tackle playing LT yesterday, and he isnt even a tackle and didnt play football last year...

10 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think we will be better moving forward, but your speed at receiver forced us to play our weaknesses.

But your right, your front 7 is probably the best we will face all year. Hopefully we get Cordy Glenn back soon. We were down to our 4th tackle playing LT yesterday, and he isnt even a tackle and didnt play football last year...

I actually thought the mistake was to not run as much press man. Playing zone against our scheme is going to be tough if your pass rush doesn't get home. Our WRs aren't anything great and some struggle when press coverage so that should have been the way to go. Would have prevented some of the big plays. 

I thought in the 1st half that your OL did pretty damn well in pass protection. I was impressed. Granted, Bosa was still gimpy and Ford was hurt, but it still held up. Our outside corners are also good and they matched up well against the WRs. But Williams in the slot was there to be had and should have been attacked more. Dalton kept going at Witherspoon but there were far better options. 

LIS, blowouts like this happen to all non-elite teams, and even some elite teams. No big deal, just one game. Just will need dominant DL performance all season long and a decent enough of OL as the skill positions are very legit.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I actually thought the mistake was to not run as much press man. Playing zone against our scheme is going to be tough if your pass rush doesn't get home. Our WRs aren't anything great and some struggle when press coverage so that should have been the way to go. Would have prevented some of the big plays. 

I meant last week we went 5DL heavy with 1 LB and 5 DBs, so that masked our weakness. This week we had to matchup with speed at receiver and best TE in Kittle. I think they should have maybe tried something different in the 2nd half, but think they were a little gassed.  

1 minute ago, johndeere1707 said:

I meant last week we went 5DL heavy with 1 LB and 5 DBs, so that masked our weakness. This week we had to matchup with speed at receiver and best TE in Kittle. I think they should have maybe tried something different in the 2nd half, but think they were a little gassed.  

Yeah, seems like you guys made an effort to put two bodies on Kitle as much as possible, which isn't the worst of strategies I guess. But in result, it opened it up for the other receivers to find the openings in the zone. Also, your DL was pretty damn dominant vs Seattle which helped a lot. 

And really, the game was a blowout by the 3rd quarter so any adjustments made at that point were irrelevant. I mean, did Jimmy G even attempt 10 passes in the 2nd half? It was pretty much run after run after run. The lack of speed at certain positions were exposed with our outside zone scheme. Mostert and Breida consistently were able to turn the corners. I guess the lack of disciplined was also exposed. 

What I did like was the offense. Zac Taylor can scheme receivers open and I like how he changes the tempo of the offense. The run game needs to get going though, or else eventually Dalton will end up getting overwhelmed having to carry the offense with his arm.