Hurry Up?

dll2000

Who remembers how/when spread offenses really took off?

To me it goes back to when Bowden at Florida St. decided to play Charlie Ward, a basketball player at QB.

They mostly ran their normal offense, but they had this special spread package they would use just on occasion. 

Well, long story short, they kept scoring with it.   So Bowden finally goes, why don't we just run that as our base offense?  Are we idiots?  Whole thing kind of exploded from there across CFB and HS football over next two decade or so and continues. 

Well, maybe I am way off base and I'm just spitballing here, but Bears seem to be completely stagnant unless they are running in hurry up crisis mode.  Maybe that should be their base and the other stuff the change up.

Probably not all the time because we need to be able to change personnel too much, but I do think we need more of it.  I know for a fact we need to attack the middle of field downfield.  The defense does not have to defend the whole field right now against the Bears and that is a major problem.  

Defenses across NFL right now are shutting down most throws 3 seconds in.  QBs that are having success are buying time in pocket for guys to come open.

Bears and MT and receivers/backs need to work on what to do when the first 3 seconds don't happen according to plan.  

Idc if they script every play and everyone  just reads the play off their wristband. Change it every drive, or just call the number in and have Tru relay that. If they put up points then I'll be happy. 

Getting the play in fast enough that Helfrich and Nagy can help presnap should be a priority. The Rams do it and obviously have done very well in doing so. They cut off the headsets at 15 secs on the playclock right? If so the goal should be to have the offense set at minimum with 20 seconds to go then. 

• Like 1

I've been saying this for a while.  We need to play the tempo game.  And by that mean controlling andnchanging the tempo.  Remember how good MT10 was with the hard count last year?  They can speed things up and slow things down and control the game.  You are then dictating to the defense instead of reacting, which is 100% what they are doing right now.  When you change tempo you get the defense playing on their heels not knowing if you are speeding up or slowing them down.  It's incredibly difficult on a defense.

I hope Nagy takes a step back this week and self scouts and really focuses on what worked last year and what's not working at all this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I've been saying this for a while.  We need to play the tempo game.  And by that mean controlling andnchanging the tempo.  Remember how good MT10 was with the hard count last year?  They can speed things up and slow things down and control the game.  You are then dictating to the defense instead of reacting, which is 100% what they are doing right now.  When you change tempo you get the defense playing on their heels not knowing if you are speeding up or slowing them down.  It's incredibly difficult on a defense.

I hope Nagy takes a step back this week and self scouts and really focuses on what worked last year and what's not working at all this year.

This is one of the flaws pundits are goung to have a field day over. Will Nagy be humble enough to see just what isn't working and then become flexible enough to fix it?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, malagabears said:

This is one of the flaws pundits are goung to have a field day over. Will Nagy be humble enough to see just what isn't working and then become flexible enough to fix it?

Well he ran it a ton the last game so he definitely can adjust things.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Well he ran it a ton the last game so he definitely can adjust things.

He deserves credit for that too. Now this week he needs to actually use the passing game to attack, not just to be an extension of the run game.

We don't need to throw it over 20 yards 10 or more times, we can still throw screens and shallow drags, but use the entire field. Get Patterson and ARob going deep, have Miller run some slants, Cohen can run shallow routes and outrun his defender, Shaheen and Montgomery can be safety nets, etc. Nagy has the pieces and is intelligent enough to do this, I really believe he is. I'm just hoping he makes the adjustment now rather than trying after a few more poor showings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Nagy does not trust Mitch enough to let him throw the ball 10 yards. Now you want him to turn over even more control to Mitch?

The "not trust the qb" narrative is a bunch of bs considering that just a week ago Nagy asked his QB to throw the ball 50 times, unless last week Nagy "didnt trust the RBs".  This has nothing to do with trusting the QB, it's about not bringing his A-game and not DOING THE SAME THINGS THAT MADE THE OFFENSE SUCCESSFUL LAST YEAR!!!!!

Seriously, I know everybody loves to blame the QB but it's a bit ridiculous when there has been NOTHING about this years offense that looks REMOTELY like last years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The "not trust the qb" narrative is a bunch of bs considering that just a week ago Nagy asked his QB to throw the ball 50 times, unless last week Nagy "didnt trust the RBs".  This has nothing to do with trusting the QB, it's about not bringing his A-game and not DOING THE SAME THINGS THAT MADE THE OFFENSE SUCCESSFUL LAST YEAR!!!!!

Seriously, I know everybody loves to blame the QB but it's a bit ridiculous when there has been NOTHING about this years offense that looks REMOTELY like last years.

He trusted the QB last week too much, he blew it.

So he dialed it way back and did not trust him this game.

That game plan and play calling were straight out of the Dowell Loggains and John Fox playbook. They did not let him do anything to screw the game up, which is not what we are suppose to be doing in year 2. That was fine in year 1, but not now that teams have caught on.

3rd and 8 needing a 1st down, with an exhausted defense on the sideline, and the game in the balance, Nagy called a WR screen. That is a strong statement whether you want to admit it or not.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He trusted the QB last week too much, he blew it.

So he dialed it way back and did not trust him this game.

That game plan and play calling were straight out of the Dowell Loggains and John Fox playbook. They did not let him do anything to screw the game up, which is not what we are suppose to be doing in year 2. That was fine in year 1, but not now that teams have caught on.

3rd and 8 needing a 1st down, with an exhausted defense on the sideline, and the game in the balance, Nagy called a WR screen. That is a strong statement whether you want to admit it or not.

It's a strong statement about the coach.  Again if he doesnt trust the QB, then why with the lead, with under 4 mins to go, having just got a first down by said QB throwing a quick out, do you then throw 3 consecutive passes.  I'm not absolving Mitch here, but this has not been anything like the offense last year.  We ran a jet sweep ONCE, effin ONCE, yesterday.  And it gained 12 yards.  Last year we saw it probably 5 times a game, and we used that motion 10-15 times a game.  Where are the stick routes which are a staple of the WCO?  He hasnt moved the pocket, no naked boots, none of it.  That's what's a red flag to me, and the QB isnt the one calling the plays.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It's a strong statement about the coach.  Again if he doesnt trust the QB, then why with the lead, with under 4 mins to go, having just got a first down by said QB throwing a quick out, do you then throw 3 consecutive passes.  I'm not absolving Mitch here, but this has not been anything like the offense last year.  We ran a jet sweep ONCE, effin ONCE, yesterday.  And it gained 12 yards.  Last year we saw it probably 5 times a game, and we used that motion 10-15 times a game.  Where are the stick routes which are a staple of the WCO?  He hasnt moved the pocket, no naked boots, none of it.  That's what's a red flag to me, and the QB isnt the one calling the plays.

Couldn't have said it better. Literally there was ONE drive with any creativity and it was the TD drive. The small toss to Patterson and the sweep to Gabriel went for 58 yards. Where was anything even remotely close to creative the rest of the game?

The one thing every young QB...every QB to be honest...needs from a player caller is consistency...

You can't go from one game asking someone to throw the ball 50 times to the next game barely letting him throw more than 10 yards down the field...that is helping no one...either tell Trubisky he is going to be the guy who he trust or make him a game manager but be consistent.

• Like 1

In two games, Mitch has completed 42 passes.
Only 6 of those passes traveled further than 10 or more yards thru the air (5 vs Packers, 1 vs Broncos).
Conversely, 16 of those completions were made at the LOS or less. (9 vs Packers, 7 vs Broncos).
His additional 20 completions have a combined average depth of 4.7 yards. (5.0 vs Packers, 4.4 vs Broncos)

^^That, my friends, is what I call being coddled.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

In two games, Mitch has completed 42 passes.
Only 6 of those passes traveled further than 10 or more yards thru the air (5 vs Packers, 1 vs Broncos).
Conversely, 16 of those completions were made at the LOS or less. (9 vs Packers, 7 vs Broncos).
His additional 20 completions have a combined average depth of 4.7 yards. (5.0 vs Packers, 4.4 vs Broncos)

^^That, my friends, is what I call being coddled.

You say coddled, I say Nagy is handicapping the offense. 

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Says more about the coach than the QB to me. He chose a low reward play when it mattered, since screens are really not a strong suit of this offense. Especially against a team that isn't heavily blitzing. 

So does that mean Nagy is unaware of situational football or just that he lacks the balls to take a risk?