Hurry Up?

dll2000

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

You say coddled, I say Nagy is handicapping the offense. 

I agree. But both of those things go hand in hand. Whenever a QB is being coddled, it is also handicapping the offense.

To expand a bit more on what I posted above. It's been well documented that Mitch has been staring down his first reads and not going through his progressions. It's literally been, snap-look-throw.

This means all of those short passes that I demonstrated above were Mitch's predetermined reads given to him by Nagy-- at least most of them anyhow.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I agree. But both of those things go hand in hand. Whenever a QB is being coddled, it is also handicapping the offense.

To expand a bit more on what I posted above. It's been well documented that Mitch has been staring down his first reads and not going through his progressions. It's literally been, snap-look-throw.

This means all of those short passes that I demonstrated above were Mitch's predetermined reads given to him by Nagy-- at least most of them anyhow.

I agree, but what i meant is Nagy isn't doing Tru or himself any good if he isn't forcing Tru to grow as a QB. If you're hellbent on letting the defense win the game for you, then at least give Tru more opportunities to improve. There can't be growth with this kind of playcalling IMO. 

If you're going to put pressure on the defense, at least give them the chance of getting a lead to hold. He isn't helping the team at all right now, short or long term. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I agree, but what i meant is Nagy isn't doing Tru or himself any good if he isn't forcing Tru to grow as a QB. If you're hellbent on letting the defense win the game for you, then at least give Tru more opportunities to improve. There can't be growth with this kind of playcalling IMO. 

If you're going to put pressure on the defense, at least give them the chance of getting a lead to hold. He isn't helping the team at all right now, short or long term. 

I hear ya. I'm not freaking out just yet. I still have faith in Nagy as a play-caller and a HC and without looking at it too deep just yet, I think he did a much better job than he did a week ago.

I'm giving him the BOTD right now. The offense has played 2 tough defenses and it's only week 2. Now if this continues to be an issue by week 6...then I'll start calling for heads.

Edit: to be clear, I mean the play-calling improved. Not how he has handled Mitch.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm pretty sure I made this same point in the GDT ;)

You know it's funny because I was the one who was kind of freaking out around this time last year (lack of preseason snaps kept me in check--same as this year) and everyone else seemed to be fine with it. This year it's the opposite. I'm a little concerned but I'm also aware that it's only 2 games into the season and only 1 game against an NFC opponent.

If our offense can come alive in week 4 then I like where we're at. The Vikings game is the most important game in the first half of the season.

We have the Redskins next week on their burial ground, who are probably about even with us in terms of how each team is playing, and our defense will keep us in that one. Then we get the Vikings at home. If our offense comes alive in this game, mixed with our defense, then we're looking at 4-1 before traveling to Oakland and showing them first hand how much they miss Mack en route to a 5-1 record before we get a weeks rest. Then we go back home and play the Brees-less Saints.

People need to calm the eff down.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You know it's funny because I was the one who was kind of freaking out around this time last year (lack of preseason snaps kept me in check--same as this year) and everyone else seemed to be fine with it. This year it's the opposite. I'm a little concerned but I'm also aware that it's only 2 games into the season and only 1 game against an NFC opponent.

If our offense can come alive in week 4 then I like where we're at. The Vikings game is the most important game in the first half of the season.

We have the Redskins next week on their burial ground, who are probably about even with us in terms of how each team is playing, and our defense will keep us in that one. Then we get the Vikings at home. If our offense comes alive in this game, mixed with our defense, then we're looking at 4-1 before traveling to London and showing them first hand how much they miss Mack en route to a 5-1 record before we get a weeks rest. Then we go back home and play the Brees-less Saints.

People need to calm the eff down.

Fixed

But yes if they can win next week, that Minnesota game will be HUGE. Soldier Field will be rockin'

The issue with running hurry-up offense is it limits your ability to switch personnel. That's been a fundamental concept in the recent Reid/Nagy offenses and fits with the Bears' offseason strategy of building skill position depth.

It may be worth trying to kick-start things and get MT into a rhythm. Play the most versatile base 11 personnel you can for a series of scripted plays and run them with tempo. Beyond that I don't think it's realistic to rely too heavily on hurry-up offense.

I think this offense's success in hurry-up situations is pretty overstated. Thus far they've not looked much better running 2 minute offense.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

You say coddled, I say Nagy is handicapping the offense. 

Says more about the coach than the QB to me. He chose a low reward play when it mattered, since screens are really not a strong suit of this offense. Especially against a team that isn't heavily blitzing. 

So does that mean Nagy is unaware of situational football or just that he lacks the balls to take a risk?

It says a lot about the coach. He doesn’t trust the QB. He is scared of a turnover. He doesn’t have confidence in his play calling.

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Whether you blame Nagy or blame Trubisky this thing isn’t working between them.

Why everyone is seemingly putting the lack of offense strictly on them two in particular is truly mind-boggling to me. It take's a collective effort across the board in today's game to only manage to get 1TD in two consecutive games (i,e. the staff, OL, QB, RB's and WR's, and film shows this very same thing.

This is 2019. An era where offenses reign supreme more than any ever before and allowing more points to be scored than ever seen before. 

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I hear ya. I'm not freaking out just yet. I still have faith in Nagy as a play-caller and a HC and without looking at it too deep just yet, I think he did a much better job than he did a week ago.

I'm giving him the BOTD right now. The offense has played 2 tough defenses and it's only week 2. Now if this continues to be an issue by week 6...then I'll start calling for heads.

Edit: to be clear, I mean the play-calling improved. Not how he has handled Mitch.

That's fair, I'm frustrated but there is time to turn it around. The Bears are still 1-1, but if Nagy doesn't do a better job we will lose a few just because the defense gave up 2 touchdowns and we couldn't match it.

Plus I'm desperate to give a OAK a lower pick. 

• Like 1

I though the whole emphasis of the offense this year was an increased tempo.  Get plays in quickly so Mitch can get a look at what the D is doing at the line and prepare to make his progressions and his reads off that.  Where did all of that go?

If we can get a D playing in a set we can attack well why not go hurry up in order to keep them from subbing and switch out of it?

Seems to me that in 2018 when we started off with 15 or so scripted plays Mitch knew well and could run quickly we moved down the field and scored early.  Now that seems to have disappeared as well.

Something or someone has changed and so far it has not worked out well at all.