Must Read: Gruden, back to calling plays, draws on lifetime of experience

turtle28

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

I didn't say kirk cousins sucks lol 

Yeah, I'm sorry, I just re-read what you wrote and I took that part out of context. You were saying the only reason we would have a losing record this year is because our schedule is harder and if Cousins stinks. You weren't saying that you think he stinks, you were saying if he does this year it means we'll have a losing season.

I got ya now, sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

Regardless enough SM choose bad either way . He isn't ment to be a GM any more it isn't the scouting or the tapes it's your gut feelings and his gut feelings where wrong most of the time 

This. As much as I like Scot, love his personality and knowledge about football and scouting, he had more misses than hits in the draft. I'll never get over the DL we passed on in the 2015 & 16 drafts, as well as ILBs, safeties and interior OL we passed on. 

Also, his decisions on who we should target in free agency and the trade for Dashon Goldson were busts except for the Josh Norman signing which was pretty much a no brainier except I still think we are overpaying him. Don't get me wrong he's a great player but I'm not convinced he's an elite playmaking DB and that's the only kind of DB you should be paying QB type money to.

For as much as we are paying for Norman he should have gotten us 5 or 6 ints last year not 3 - I believe he dropped 2 or 3 - and he shouldn't have had so many stupid penalties which were one of the reasons we didn't win vs Cincy and other games. 

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, McClain & McGee were on McCloughan's list and Tomsula wanted them also but most of Redskins nation  still craps on them?

Ioannidis flashed this preseason, as did Lanier and Allen was great and most of Redskins nation has any faith that this DL will be better - other than Allen? What gives?

If this whole team is because of just McCloughan and his decisions - except for the players he inherited from Shanahan - then why the heck is everyone so down?

I don't get it! From everything most in Redskins Nation claim, McCloughan built this team by himself with no help from anyone else, and you're still pessimistic and skeptical of his decisions?

Why is that?

McClain and McGee are slightly younger versions of last year. Allen may be good, but for this season, he probably won't be any better than what Chris Baker was. So no, I don't see much difference from last year.

We have no idea what McCloughan was responsible for. None. He was not given the authority of permissions of a real GM. 

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'll say it, Kirk sucks.

He was avg until that int happend ... very disappointed on his performance and idc what the training camp will be he needs to throw to Pryor 1 million times down field . Never seen him miss so many big plays and Pryor dropping touchdowns is disgusting .

On September 10, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Slateman said:

McClain and McGee are slightly younger versions of last year. Allen may be good, but for this season, he probably won't be any better than what Chris Baker was. So no, I don't see much difference from last year.

We have no idea what McCloughan was responsible for. None. He was not given the authority of permissions of a real GM. 

The difference between what we had from 2012-2016 on the DL and what we have now is effort and gap responsibility and in Allen's case he has a variety of tricks, pass rushing moves and knows how to use his hands to disengage drom OL better than any DL we've had since probably the guys we had in the 80s. 

Its plain as day the difference in our run D and that was w/o Taylor or what most call a true NT. So, the differed between Baker/RJF and McClain/McGee is run defense and effort. If your DL are sound in their gap responsibilities and give great effort you're going to have a good run D. It looks like we have that now, and we missed that on our DL from 2012-16.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The difference between what we had from 2012-2016 on the DL and what we have now is effort and gap responsibility and in Allen's case he has a variety of tricks, pass rushing moves and knows how to use his hands to disengage drom OL better than any DL we've had since probably the guys we had in the 80s. 

Its plain as day the difference in our run D and that was w/o Taylor or what most call a true NT. So, the differed between Baker/RJF and McClain/McGee is run defense and effort. If your DL are sound in their gap responsibilities and give great effort you're going to have a good run D. It looks like we have that now, and we missed that on our DL from 2012-16.

No turtle, no. Allen is a rookie. We have no idea what "we have" in him. For all we know he could be the defensive line version of Fred Davis.

This defensive line is, at best, marginally better than last year's. And, frankly, it looks about the same. Use all the buzz words you want, but it isn't any better.

8 hours ago, Slateman said:

No turtle, no. Allen is a rookie. We have no idea what "we have" in him. For all we know he could be the defensive line version of Fred Davis.

This defensive line is, at best, marginally better than last year's. And, frankly, it looks about the same. Use all the buzz words you want, but it isn't any better.

This just isn't true. Every scout/McCloughan type and Tomsula talked about Allen's ability, his moves/tricks and hand usage is like that of a vet who's been in the league a few years because of how well he was taught at Alabama. 

For as much as people complain about our OL run blocking and pass blocking this preseason and vs the Eagles - and rightfully so because they are messing up and not in sync - our DL has been the exact opposite of last yeee from the small sample size we've seen through 3 preseason games (a game and a half) and vs the Eagles.

You can disagree with that if you want but we have 2 and a half games of our main DL rotation now. It's shown it can push the pocket better and get pressure on Qbs, even if it doesn't get home and those top 5 guys have been run on by running backs about 60 times, given up about 160 yards and just 2 TDs which is 2.66 average per carry. 

Last 2 years our DL/ILBs gave up 5 yards per carry just on first down on average, may times more. One reason we were so horrible on 3rd down is because we were so bad vs the run on 1st down that teams had 2 downs to make 4 or 5 yards.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Its one game into Allen's tenure here. Like most rookies, I'm going to at least wait a few games (maybe even until December) before I jump to any conclusions as to him as a player. 

He's already showing he's the best interior DL we've had talent wise since Haynesworth and more than talent wise since some player in the 80s/early 90s I guess. He's around the ball every snap, he's either making a run stuff, occupying two blockers so an ILB can go make a tackle, making the tackle himself or hustling to the ball. He had multiple pressures yesterday and just missed a sack a few times - which sucks because we want him to get sacks - but he still got several pressures.

Ioannidis is flashing like Crazy too. I think he'll eventually be a starter, either late in the year or next year. It looks like he was a great pick by McCloughan and great job developing him by Tomsula.

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Its one game into Allen's tenure here. Like most rookies, I'm going to at least wait a few games (maybe even until December) before I jump to any conclusions as to him as a player. 

This. Thank you.

I swear, we're already anointing him as some sort of amazing defensive lineman.

Archived