Will Jalen Hurts be a first round pick?

brownie man

Will Hurts go in the first round?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes he will
    • No not a first rounder

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I think he will. People are going to miss out on potentially another Riley QB. 

I think he will, too. People are sleeping on him for some reason - they're overthinking mechanics and ability to work in a pro set offense, completely missing out that more and more pro teams are using more spread elements than ever.

He won't go #1 like the last two Oklahoma QBs, but he's going in the 1st. I'm pretty sure of that.

• Like 1

I'm not going that far yet. I've been extremely low on Hurts and vocal about it. Based on what we saw at Alabama he wasn't a draftable QB in my opinion. However, he's looked impressive at OU. Not in a gimmicky kind of way either. He's showing translatable skills I didn't think he had. I wouldn't call him a first rounder but his stock is heavily rising.

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think he will, too. People are sleeping on him for some reason - they're overthinking mechanics and ability to work in a pro set offense, completely missing out that more and more pro teams are using more spread elements than ever.

He won't go #1 like the last two Oklahoma QBs, but he's going in the 1st. I'm pretty sure of that.

He's definitely not in the same stratosphere as Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray as prospects, but he looks night and day better than he ever did with Alabama.

56 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's definitely not in the same stratosphere as Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray as prospects, but he looks night and day better than he ever did with Alabama.

He was just fine on Alabama last season, just never got the chance to play a ton with Tua around.  PS getting tons of yards on Oklahoma is obviously getting less and less impressive.  Heck even on Washington State a first year starter D1 RS SR is leading the nation in passing, so playing QB especially in college is almost hard to not be successful as long as you have just a little bit of skill.  No way is Hurts a 1st round talent, Tua, Herbert, Love, Eason, Fromm, Ehlinger and Burrow are all better than him and no way there are that many QBs picked in the 1st round anyway.

So unless all the big names in the NFL all retire all at the same time at QB next year, there will not be enough even needing QBs to begin with to draft 1st round.  Hurts has increased his stock no doubt but see what he does against Texas and Iowa State the only two teams that are any good at defense they will play all regular season long.  

Meh, I don't think so.  This looks like a QB heavy class if most of the top prospects declare, and there's too much bad tape of Hurts over his career for him to leapfrog Herbert, Tua, or Fromm without a freakish playoff run or one of them really laying some goose eggs and no one else looking better.  Could it happen?  Absolutely.  Do I think it will?  Nope.

3 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Do you think it's Lincoln Riley's system, an improvement in Hurts skills, or some of both?

Prior to Tua, Alabama hasn't exactly been churning out NFL QBs either so it will be interesting to see how Hurts' stock rises or falls before draft time.

Probably some of both.  I mean, when was the last time Lincoln Riley didn't have a highly productive QB?  In his 3 seasons as HC for Oklahoma had Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, and now Jalen Hurts.  Even as OC at East Carolina, he had Shane Carden who had almost 9000 passing yards over his final 2 seasons.

4 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

If Lamar Jackson can go 32nd with all the concerns about his ability to be an accurate passer, then Hurts can absolutely do the same.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I would probably rather draft Hurts in the late first than Tu'a in the top 5.  

Kind of how I see Hurst depending on who declares.  A good team looking to find a backup/future QB could do a lot worst than Hurst.